Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_dsp_xgeq (Read 249979 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #25
I guess that is to prevent adding any extra gain that might perhaps damage the speakers.

It's also a good idea to prevent clipping, since integer PCM can only have a maximum range of +/- 1.0, anything outside that range must either be clipped, or the whole signal must be reduced to fit that range.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #26
From the "components" section, I installed the EQ from some folder where the dll was located. I though maybe I had to apply some admin right for this to work but apparantly that was not necessary.

Older fb2k versions used to install components into the Program Files directory which required admin rights, but recent versions install components into your Windows profile/AppData dir. 
"I hear it when I see it."

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #27
New minor version released.

Drawing the desired frequency response should be a lot easier now. 

edit: foo_dsp_xgeq can also be found on the components page now, which means that you can use the components page in fb2k to get updates.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #28
Thank you. A fun little update (for me anyway, I can't program stuff) .

I wonder, your version list has the following item; "higher throughput especially with simple configurations" and I wonder what it means, can you please say something about that?

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #29
I wonder, your version list has the following item; "higher throughput especially with simple configurations" and I wonder what it means, can you please say something about that?

In the older version CPU load didn't scale well with the configuration. Load didn't drop even if all sliders were flat or set to zero.

This changed with the new version. If you have a simple configuration the CPU needs to do less work now due to the optimization I've implemented.
With simple configuration I mean something like a soft mids or treble cut/boost for example.
The opposite would be a configuration where you have very steep slopes. CPU load will be about the same with such a config compared to the old version.

Oh and the most simple configuration would be if you set all sliders flat. In that case the EQ processing is now disabled and the plugin acts as a volume control instead.

edit: I edited the changelog a bit to make this clearer

Also forgot to mention that the sliders don't capture the mouse anymore now. So you can keep the mouse pressed and move the cursor over all sliders in one go.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #30
You are making good progress on an excellent EQ. Got to get to presets, though.

Bob

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #31
You are making good progress on an excellent EQ. Got to get to presets, though.

Bob

Heh, I didn't forget that one. There are still a couple of things to figure out..

Would you prefer something like in the built-in EQ (import from and export to a preset file) or something like in the DSP manager (load and save presets into the user profile)?

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #32
Just wanted to say thanks, been waiting for this for a long time. Finally I can boost 20-40Hz and fine tune my headphones FQ response from 10KHz to 16Khz.
Cheers.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #33
Would you prefer something like in the built-in EQ (import from and export to a preset file) or something like in the DSP manager (load and save presets into the user profile)?

I am using the Karma FX EQ through foo_vst. I like the feel of it -- the preset list is a flyout. Where you actually store the file(s) is irrelevant. Karma FX files are stored in roaming/foobar200/vst-presets.

Bob

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #34
Good work, xnor! Now I can finally switch over from my clunky Spline EQ... ;-)

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #35
I think I have found an issue but I am not really sure this is something new.

If the Graphic Equalizer is removed in the DSP menu and you close the preferences window, apparantly the EQ resets itself, because if I re-open the preferences and re-enable the Graphic Equalizer in the DSP menu, the EQ is zero'ed out.

If I simply move the EQ back and forth effectively turning it on/off without closing the preferences window, the gain values are kept the entire time.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #36
It's not an issue. Every DSP plugin works this way.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #37
Heh, I always considered this to be a fb2k feature to do simple A/B comparisons by swapping a DSP plugin from left to right and vice-versa.

If you don't want to lose your DSP settings simply save your DSP chain in a preset and load that one if you need it again later on.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #38
could you add programatic control to this?
meaning from another foo plugin, i would like to send commands to this plugin, to be able to
set the level of each band, and such...
hell even send_messages to your window would work
using like WM_USER, prob could do it all
lparam (command), wparam level or setting

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #39
Thanks and I love the ability to access 20-40Hz

But how can I have this EQ replace the window (replace IU element) on my skin?
I'm using the built in, standard skin from foobar.

I have no problem going to preferences, configuring, and then seeing it... but I'd like this eq to
appear whenever I open foobar.  Is this possible?

thanks in advance
andrew

Heya,

here's another creation of mine, a graphic equalizer.

As of the current version it features:
  • 31 bands (1/3rd octave width)
  • boost/cut range of +-18 dB in .5 dB steps
  • master gain (can be set manually or automatically => prevents clipping for the most part)
  • minimum phase (=> no pre-echo)
  • approximates a smooth frequency response (=> no 'steps' between the bands)

Since this is my first fb2k plugin that's a bit more complex this plugin should be considered experimental, use it at your own risk.
Please let me know if you encounter any bugs, thanks.

There's still room for optimizations and new features.. 

Download

Usage
1) Install the downloaded zip file using the Components preferences page.
2) Add "Graphic Equalizer" to the list of active DSPs (Playback - DSP Manager preferences page).
3) Configure it.

Screenshots:

Resulting frequency response in green (compared to built-in EQ in red):

Note that the boost in the lowest octaves isn't possible with the built-in EQ.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #40
you can not.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #41
Maybe in the future. Right now I'm quite busy writing seminar papers etc. so the next release will take a few weeks.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #42
hey xnor, just a quick thank-you from a fellow Monkey Island fan.
Great component, a lot more flexible than the built-in EQ.

You can put me down for importing/exporting to a preset file.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #43
hey xnor, just a quick thank-you from a fellow Monkey Island fan.
Great component, a lot more flexible than the built-in EQ.

You can put me down for importing/exporting to a preset file.

I do think being able to export/import preset files would be a very good addition to your EQ, xnor, if it's not too much a hassle, of course. An installed foobar can both use separate preset files, as well as using DSP chain presets for foobar-wide changes, while migration of foobar between machines would be much easier.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #44
Outstanding work, xnor.

BTW - curious if anyone else has an interest in separate EQ for each channel for individual speaker / room compensation.
Was that a 1 or a 0?

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #45
Hi great work on this DSP. It would be great if this quality EQ could be added as an element in a tab. But i would guess that DSP does not allow for that and it would require a different type of component. Another way to do it would be if someone could write a component that allows for dsp plugin configuration to be added as a tab. Then this dsp plugin and others could be used within a tab. For example in Add new UI element, it could have DSP as a section. But only the ones with a configuration option.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #46
Hey this really rocks.
I was born with a visual impairment, so I have super hearing. Ok, it isn't super, but it's pretty sensitive and there are certain frequencies that really annoy me like those around the 250 range. I don't wipe them out completely, but I like having control of them and other ones, so your plugin is like an early Christmas present.

Thanks sincerely for developing it.

If I had any requests, it would be to make the EQ accessible from a menu, otherwise, awesome work.

By the way, I registered just to compliment and thank you.
You have to show appreciate for other people's work, especially when they're providing the results free of charge.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #47
Hi Xnor,
I'm a newby to foobar.  I have what seems like a weird thing happening with your equalizer.
I have it in the components folder on my C drive where all the foobar installation is (Windows 7 home premium).
I have it loaded in the preferences - playback - DSPs - active DSPs place and I have it configured.  (It is the only dsp I have added to the "active dsps" column.)
AND
As far as my ears can tell, it IS affecting the sound
BUT
When I am in the main window view I click on "view"- "equalizer" what pops open is the standard equalizer window!
Is that right or is there some hidden setting that I need to find so that when I hit "view" - "equalizer" it actually shows me the window for your equalizer?

I also checked appdata which took me to "AppData" - "Roaming" - "foobar2000" and when I opened that there was a folder "user-components", inside which was a folder titled "Pending" inside which was a folder with the name of your dll and inside that folder was the actually dll file. 
Is that "pending" significant?  Do I need to reboot my computer to get it working fully?

My apologies if it's a stupid question, sometimes the obvious is only obvious once you know what to look at.
Thanks.
Bludog

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #48
When I am in the main window view I click on "view"- "equalizer" what pops open is the standard equalizer window!
Is that right or is there some hidden setting that I need to find so that when I hit "view" - "equalizer" it actually shows me the window for your equalizer?
That’s the intended behaviour. Items other than built-in options/components don’t appear in the main menu. To configure a DSP, select its name in the DSP Manager and click on Configure selected.

I also checked appdata which took me to "AppData" - "Roaming" - "foobar2000" and when I opened that there was a folder "user-components", inside which was a folder titled "Pending" inside which was a folder with the name of your dll and inside that folder was the actually dll file. 
Is that "pending" significant?  Do I need to reboot my computer to get it working fully?
I don’t think so. You said it sounded as though it was having an effect. You can check that folder again later and/or after rebooting, but it shouldn’t matter.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #49
That’s the intended behaviour.

Ah, ok, thanks.  So if that's the only "equalizer" in my "active dsp's" window, it will be working and any time I want to change my equalizer settings I go to "configure" in that window and change it.  Got it.  Wasn't obvious to me as I was looking for a more direct route to access the equalizer plugin.