Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_dsp_xgeq (Read 250003 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #75
This is great. I've had the Graphic Equalizer plugin for foobar2k for some time now but the new import/export function in the latest version is just what I was looking for and puts it on par with the built in equalizer of foobar. Also, when using the built in equalizer, I would get a somewhat subtle but noticeable high-pitch distortion with bass/drum sounds as soon as I adjusted any of the middle frequencies from about 600 - 5000k, but the Graphic Equalizer component produces the lows, mids and highs excellently with absolutely no distortion at all.

Perhaps we could share some of our presets now that there is an export function? I listen to music with mainly a pair of Shure SRH 940 headphones and use a v-shaped equalizer preset that works okay for me.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #76
Glad you like it. The smooth frequency response and minimum phase definitely helps avoiding distortion, which were the main reasons for making this component. I guess it's okay to share presets but dunno if it's a good idea to do so in this thread.

Unfortunately, I am ill atm and lying in bed so the next minor release will be delayed a bit. Also, I have been working on some ideas for a parametric counterpart to this component but this will have to wait as well.
"I hear it when I see it."

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #77
So just to post a little observation, the Graphic Equalizer is working just fine for me, but I notice that combining it with the Equalizer can lead to some "interesting" effects if not anything else. Having both equalizer DSP components active using a similar v-shaped frequency curve on each leads to the sound especially bass being amplified...and I think this "double-equalization" sounds kind of good. But I'm sure its not advisable to combine two equalizers anyway, so for now I'm sticking with Graphic Equalizer. :-)

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #78
So just to post a little observation, the Graphic Equalizer is working just fine for me, but I notice that combining it with the Equalizer can lead to some "interesting" effects if not anything else.

Yeah that's entirely possible. The built-in EQ has a staircase-shaped response and pre-ringing so especially impulsive and sweep-y sounds will get distorted.
Therefore, I don't recommend using the built-in one.

Update: version 0.2.1 released.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #79
Thank you so much for this component!  This is exactly what I needed and was looking for!  Very well thought out.  I hope you feel better too.  Peace
opinion is not fact

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #80
I'm using this component too, although I'd admit I've no idea really how to make best use of it. I will continue playing around

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #81
Hi, I really like this.  I am wondering if there is a way to make it easier to open the EQ.  I find clicking  File -> Preferences -> DSP -> Graphic Eq -> Configure discourages me from remembering to use it.  Perhaps adding a toolbar button?  Or allowing it to be embedded in a ColumnsUI element?

Thanks for this great work.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #82
I'm using this component too, although I'd admit I've no idea really how to make best use of it. I will continue playing around

It's an equalizer - you boost or cut the frequencies you like, for example, to reduce sibilance cut around 8 kHz or to reduce boomy bass try a cut around 100 Hz or to simulate a loudness function cut the mid frequencies and/or boost the bass and treble a bit and so on.

If you have troubles understanding frequencies and their relationship to instruments, take a look at this: freqchart

@jmcturnan, yeah I know but I haven't figured out yet how open the configuration window e.g. from the context menu.
Ideally you shouldn't need to open the configuration window very often, only initially to set it up, then save the DSP presets and load the appropriate preset if you change from speakers to headphones or something like that.

By shift + left clicking on Playback in the menu bar you'll see a DSP settings (presets) menu which allows you to change between presets without opening preferences etc.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #83
Many thanks for this great component.
A preset sharing thread is in need me thinks
Roded

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #84
HI, at first - very good eq range from 20 to 20! But can someone tell why the eq does not affect sound for me?  When I change the eq the auto gain function decrease the gain, but it does not affect the sound much.  I'm not novice on sound processing and mastering, but I can heard that something changes at low level from 20 to 80. Why?

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #85
I'm not novice on sound processing and mastering, but I can heard that something changes at low level from 20 to 80. Why?

You mean you cannot hear a difference if you change the 20 - 80 Hz sliders?

Either your speakers or headphones are rolled-off at 80 Hz which means that they cannot reproduce such low frequencies (well) or the music you're listening to doesn't contain much in that frequency range.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #86
I'm not novice on sound processing and mastering, but I can heard that something changes at low level from 20 to 80. Why?

You mean you cannot hear a difference if you change the 20 - 80 Hz sliders?

Either your speakers or headphones are rolled-off at 80 Hz which means that they cannot reproduce such low frequencies (well) or the music you're listening to doesn't contain much in that frequency range.

Theoretically my speakers are from 22 - 35 000, and sound normally must have at last 40hz deep. strange.... maybe thats because I use VST matrix mixer and route sound through 4 channels.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #87
Tbh, 22 Hz - 35 kHz doesn't mean anything. The frequency response could be down by 10 dB at 50 Hz.
Such numbers are only meaningful if they include amplitude tolerance such as +/- 3 dB.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #88
Excellent plugin!

I wonder if others might share their favorite settings?  Either via an attached pic or perhaps saved export files which could be used (imported) by others?

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #89
I wonder if others might share their favorite settings?  Either via an attached pic or perhaps saved export files which could be used (imported) by others?

Of course and EQ CAN be used for special effects, but basically the job of an EQ  is to EQ(!) the system and room at the listening chair. An EQ for my speakers in my room will be of little use to you.

Bob

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #90
Hello xnor,

just found this Great plugin 
Until now, I was using a vst plugin but your native implementation is just excellent. As you mentioned, the built in equalizer is 1)horrible and 2) useless to really do room eq as it can not reach low frequencies.

If I may, three suggestions for a future release :
- add a check box Enabled Yes/no. Like in built in eq. Makes it easy during tests and/or when you move your pc around like I do
- I'd like to open the Graphic Eq with a button in the UI. Can not do. Maybe you could add an entry View/Graphic Eq in the commands list.
- add a balance slider for Left-Right ! Looks stupid, but there is no easy way to do this in fb2k. Maybe easy for you to do...

thanks for your great job
Al

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #91
- add a check box Enabled Yes/no. Like in built in eq. Makes it easy during tests and/or when you move your pc around like I do

Agree. The work around is to "RESET" to get back to flat then "Import" the EQ you are testing (assuming that you remenbered to "EXPORT" your EQ.

- add a balance slider for Left-Right ! Looks stupid, but there is no easy way to do this in fb2k. Maybe easy for you to do...

Agree. Currently, the only way I have found to do balance control is to use DirectSound (not a bad idea anyway) and do the balance in the Windows mixer.

Bob

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #92
I really like your DSP much better than the original one, great work.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #93
I know, I know! I keep complaining about what is now a very good product. But in the spirit of 'Let's make it better"....

"Import" and "Export" do not remember the location of the profile files. Of course, when EQ first opens, it cannot know where to look, but after that, it should remember the last place it looked.

Thanks for the very nice plug-in.

Bob

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #94
First of all, THANK YOU!
I signed up just to be able to thank you.

great work, my only hopes are that:

make central preset repository where anyone can upload their presets , then make those files reachable directly from within the plugin (even if it only opens up the browser to the downloads). the most important thing though is somewhere where i can easily download a pack of presets, such as this one : http://www.sjeng.org/foobar2000.html

secondly, it would be nice that the import button remembered where it last opened a file from or saved a file to.

thirdly, i use to use the default EQ and had a keyboard shortcut mapped to [CTRL]+[E] , i would love to find your graphic EQ in that keyboard shortcut list so that i can map a key to it.

thanks again, i hope to see this plugin continue to flower and prosper! I am already recommending it to all my friends

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #95
Since there is'nt a xgeq preset thread I thought Id's share this here. This preset s converts the diffuse-field curve that most headphones target to the Idependent-of-Direction curve. I find it lessens the sucked out mids on some recordings.

http://www.box.com/s/76n1uzaaxh5nsmhs89of

(Source:http://www.head-acoustics.de/downloads/eng/application_notes/Equalization_brochure.pdf)

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #96
Since there is'nt a xgeq preset thread I thought Id's share this here. This preset s converts the diffuse-field curve that most headphones target to the Idependent-of-Direction curve. I find it lessens the sucked out mids on some recordings.

http://www.box.com/s/76n1uzaaxh5nsmhs89of

(Source:http://www.head-acoustics.de/downloads/eng/application_notes/Equalization_brochure.pdf)

thanks for sharing, before i go ahead and download this 175MB file, can you help clarify exactly what this does?
is it just a pdf manual? or is it some program that converts files from one EQ preset format to the .XGEQ that this component uses?

Would you mind breifly explaining what a 'diffuse field curve' and a 'independent of direction curve' are?
thank you

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #97
thanks for sharing, before i go ahead and download this 175MB file, can you help clarify exactly what this does?

174B means 174 bytes. Not kilobytes and certainly not megabytes.

Oh and markanini posted a link to a brochure that explains the different equalization curves.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #98
Basically The Diffuse-Field curve addresses the difference between how we hear sound in a room vs right up against the ear and is used as a baseline for most headphones. The Independent-of-Direction curve could be considered an alternative to DF. The pdf document really explains it better than I ever could.

foo_dsp_xgeq

Reply #99
Free field: a speaker is placed 3 meters in front of you, the walls around you ideally don't reflect but absorb all sound emitted by the speaker (like there are no walls at all, hence "free field")
Diffuse field: sound is coming from all directions (either that or the curve is calculated by averaging many measurements from each angle/azimuth/altitude, i.e. the speaker is placed in a sphere around your head)
Independant of direction: separates direction dependent equalization from direction independent eq, ID-EQ only considers direction independent components -> can be used where it's hard to achieve clean free or diffuse field conditions