Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_dsp_vlevel (Read 211445 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_dsp_vlevel

Reply #125
this component is NOT replaced by "EBU R128 normalizer" or "replaygain" as some people said.
I'm surprised anyone thinks that.  Replay Gain controls the volume setting for a track overall, and make no attempt to alter the dynamic range, nor is it meant to.

I know less about R128 Normaliser, but as I had it touted to me as an alternative to Replay Gain...

I create VLevel treated classical output files since years now. For casual listening (like: music in living room, me doing something in the kitchen). And of course this is the only reasonable option to listen to classical music in car. It's still needed. R128 is not for this, treatment is just too harsh, result gain is too unstable, torture for the ears.
I'm currently experimenting with Neutrons (Android) Compressor/(can also act as Limiter), which has typical options. Especially attack/release are of importance. So finally maybe I could get rid of the extra VLevel creation.
Unfortunately serious audio players on Android (Neutron and one that should not be named here) are more or less a usability disaster for me - Except Poweramp.

Reply #126
Hello everyone. What is the prime function of Vlevel and its optimal setting. Thank you in advance for your answers

Reply #127
Hello everyone. What is the prime function of Vlevel and its optimal setting. Thank you in advance for your answers
Eg: You listen in a louder environment. Like in a car. Classical, orchestral music may have very quiet parts but also very loud ones. Rather a problem in a casual listening environment. You may be permanently fiddling the volume knob because sometimes you cannot hear anything, then later it is so loud, killing your ears. VLevel controls that for you in a reasonable way (i. e., not in a too nervously). Keeps levels up when it's quiet, takes volume down right before the big boom (Example: Mahler Sym. 6, ending of movement 4). Default settings are pretty good start.

Reply #128
Squeller, thank you for the feedback :)

Reply #129
Eg: You listen in a louder environment. Like in a car. Classical, orchestral music may have very quiet parts but also very loud ones. Rather a problem in a casual listening environment. You may be permanently fiddling the volume knob because sometimes you cannot hear anything, then later it is so loud, killing your ears. VLevel controls that for you in a reasonable way (i. e., not in a too nervously). Keeps levels up when it's quiet, takes volume down right before the big boom (Example: Mahler Sym. 6, ending of movement 4). Default settings are pretty good start.

Let me add to those reasons one more: Listening to old radio shows, and spoken live content. Voice volume fluctuated a lot at that time, specially when the speaker talks out of the mic when looking at others. A compresor just raises hum noise in that case but the voice stays almost the same (low) volume. Vlevel or volume leveling in general raises the volume dynamically in real time when this "holes" in audio appear. Think of this as "listening to podcasts with bad sound".