Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: M-Audio USB and FireWire Audiophile- any difference? (Read 3885 times) previous topic - next topic

M-Audio USB and FireWire Audiophile- any difference?

Hey folks,

Question number 3.

Is there any known differences between these two external sound cards?

Apart from the obvious connectivity differences, I know the USB has extra inputs/outputs.

I'm just wondering if either from manufacturer's specs, or people's experiences or knowledge from other sources, or whatever, that people here might know of quality differences or other pertinent differences.

I'm running a FireWire Audiophile currently, and probably going to upgrade to a USB one. I'm curious to see if quality-wise that would be a poor move or whether there's no reason not to.

Regards,
- Spike

Reply #1
Unless it is USB 2 (don't think M-Audio has any of those), the bandwidth is very limited compared to firewire. I/O choices are more restricted with USB. What USB device has more inputs and outputs than your firewire card?

Using an external power supply is better than getting the power off the bus. If you do need to use bus power, USB is definitely more limited than firewire.

Reply #2
I don't need to use bus power. And the USB Audiophile actually has more I/O's than the FW one.

Well, I'm not sure if the second 1/4" pair of line in's is mutually exclusive (i.e. if you use one, the other doesn't work).

Very strange.

I'm fairly sure the USB is supposed to have a better SNR ratio (although I've never been sure if that means anything).

You're probably right about the USB 1 being slower. I'm just not sure whether it is, though.

Just seems there's a few advantages/disadvantages of each. But, you've helped me decide to keep the FW one.

Regards,
- Spike

Reply #3
The usb version has better dacs if I remember correctly.

Reply #4
The usb version has better dacs if I remember correctly.

Do you have any documentation to back that up?  Why on earth would they use different DACs in the same device (where only the connectivity format is different).

Reply #5
for what it's worth, when you are using this just an audio device, usb 1 speed is totally sufficient. or so i've heard.

i have the firewire and love it. i'd consider trading it for one with more ins/outs, but i actually prefer the rca's and i like keeping my usb port free (consider that).

1/4" jacks of course are supposed to be 'better' than rca, but i've always made excellent recordings with mine.