Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 for Mac OS X [moderation—404, outdated, etc.; see post 119] (Read 207089 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 for Mac OS X [moderation—404, outdated, etc.; see post 119]

Reply #25
The main thing I'm looking for in foobar is the ABX tool which I thought was part of it. Am I mistaken, just not finding it , or is it currently missing?

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_abx

Got it working. Thanks!

I think a few people have been waiting for something like this.

Reply #26
Just wanted to push this Thread as i really interested in this solution.
I'm planning to switch to a mac really soon and discovered this great Music Player (foobar). After some research, I was able to tune up the soundquality and i was experiencing more fun.
The fact is that iTunes suck, if you talk about the sound and i'm not going to use it, because i simply cant get that sound which i wanna have.

Will this solution support plugins for foobar?

thank you for your work

Reply #27
Another Mac user here also looking forward to trying this out, as I was using FB2K for the last couple of years on my PC which recently died. Like another user in this thread I am currently running FB2K via VMWare Fusion, and as any dual-boot Mac user knows, the laptop starts to burn up like crazy with Windows running virtually. With my massive music collection and high res artwork for most albums, you can imagine how uncomfortably hot the laptop gets running FB2K virtually.

However there are two major things that will determine if I keep using Fusion or switch to this: will it see my external FW800 drive that contains my music collection? And can you install 3rd party components and custom themes like you would on the PC version? Thanks in advance...

Reply #28
I have a setup with crossover, so it's basically the same. Running for about 1,5 years now...

My music collection is on a FW400 drive, which works all fine! (except automatic library update, only updates on startup of fb2k)
As for the 3rd party components, Columns UI and foo_audioscrobbler are working as expected. More I do not need and cannot say anything about, but just try them out! I guess most plugins will work, exept those which have dependencies on .net or something like that...

screenshot (CUI with NG playlist)

Have a good day,
callisto
fb2k on OSX: flac q8 > rockboxed Sansa e280v1: Vorbis q5.0

Reply #29
Good to know. Just installed the app, and Dibrom, I got the same error message as another user in this thread (could not find files in the /components folder), I'm also running 10.5.8. However it did install successfully despite the error message and I'm using FB2K right now. I haven't loaded my library into it yet, but based on how it's performing now it looks like I will be good to go. Thanks for your work in developing this bundle! Took a lot of guesswork out of it for me and many others I'm sure.

Reply #30
Darn, FB2K/Wine can't see my attached FW800 drive. Is there a Wine setting I can modify to look for external drives?

Reply #31
Will this solution support plugins for foobar?

Yes, plugins work fine.  You just have to follow the directions given during the installer to find out where to put the files.

Reply #32
However there are two major things that will determine if I keep using Fusion or switch to this: will it see my external FW800 drive that contains my music collection? And can you install 3rd party components and custom themes like you would on the PC version? Thanks in advance...

It should, and yes.

There are a few extra dependencies you might need for some plugins (WSH, .NET, etc.).

Reply #33
Darn, FB2K/Wine can't see my attached FW800 drive. Is there a Wine setting I can modify to look for external drives?

If your drive is already mounted under Mac OS X, Wine should see it just fine.  It's not going to show up with a special drive letter though.  It should be listed somewhere under /Volumes.  Try looking there.

For example, your normal hard drive can also be accessed from "/Volumes/Macintosh HD".

Reply #34
Ah, I see where it is... when configuring the Media Library it was ultimately under a Z: drive path... great, everything working nice

Reply #35
sry I could have given more details in that point, good that you figured it out!

Reply #36
sry I could have given more details in that point, good that you figured it out!

No worries, appreciate the input! I am extremely excited to not have to launch Fusion every time I want to listen to my FLAC collection! Whee....

Unrelated to the above... one slightly disappointing thing is the album art display quality - I'm using the latest Columns UI build and everything is pretty jagged at low sizes. Any other components recommended for album art?

Reply #37
Unrelated to the above... one slightly disappointing thing is the album art display quality - I'm using the latest Columns UI build and everything is pretty jagged at low sizes. Any other components recommended for album art?

You need to have the native gdiplus dll installed for it to look nicer.  If I get some time this weekend, I'll try to update the bundle and include that and some other tweaks.

Reply #38
It's good to allow easier access to fb2k on the MacOS platform. I'm not a Mac user, but thanks anyway

Reply #39
one last question - and this is probably more of a FB2K behavior in general than anything specifically related to this OS X bundle - but it seems every time I launch FB2K, it re-indexes my entire music collection, which lives on an external FW800 drive. (This is after fully ejecting the FW drive, turning off the laptop, turning it back on and launching FB2K). at 500 GBs you can guess how long that takes... is this something I can prevent from happening?

Reply #40
does not happen here. did you let it index completely at the first time?

Reply #41
you know what it probably was - i didn't close fb2k properly after the first index - i think i shut down X11 or Wine instead. after shutting it down properly, this morning my collection was still intact. well, that's good to know... i need to be careful

Reply #42
You need to have the native gdiplus dll installed for it to look nicer.  If I get some time this weekend, I'll try to update the bundle and include that and some other tweaks.

Great. Will this dll enable the reflection effect on artwork thumbnails displayed in the NG Playlist?

Reply #43
yes, look at my screenshot (few posts up)

Reply #44
yes, look at my screenshot (few posts up)

Cool, looks good. Where did you download the DLL, and what folder do you place it in?

Reply #45
just google "gdiplus.dll". first hit should be a .dll download site.
you have to place it in "system32" folder... I believe it should be somewhere under ~/Library/Application Support/Wine/ or somewhere in the application-bundle
(cannot say this for sure, because of my slightly different setup.)

Reply #46
Strange, I already have gdiplus.dll in my system32 folder. And based on the Date Modified field in Finder, it was accessed as recently as a few days ago when I last used fb2k. Why then would the graphic display still be so jagged?

Reply #47
I had foobar2000 working for awhile but now it won't open and I get an error message about the "beta version being over 4 weeks old"

Reply #48
I had foobar2000 working for awhile but now it won't open and I get an error message about the "beta version being over 4 weeks old"

I updated it to 1.0, so it should be fine now.

Reply #49
Strange, I already have gdiplus.dll in my system32 folder.
[...]
Why then would the graphic display still be so jagged?

Because the gdiplus.dll you see is the Wine version, not the native Windows version.  The Wine version's emulation isn't complete, which is why some things don't work as well or look as nice.

Anyway, this is fixed in the version I just uploaded.