Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Categories -- in HA Knowledgebase (wiki) (Read 15386 times) previous topic - next topic

Categories -- in HA Knowledgebase (wiki)

Reply #25
Do you really think we need to be specific to the point of categorizing as Foobar2000 DSP Components, Foobar2000 Input Components, Foobar2000 Output Components etc.
I think this will add unecessary complexity to the categories.
Well, for me, it helps. I am mimicking WinAmp's grouping of plugins there. Only a few subcategories are needed: Input, Output, DSP, Looks, and Others.

Since there're also two all-encompassing Components page (one for 0.8, one for 0.9), the grouping here should not pose too much problem.

I am more concerned of the stacked/multicategory strategy. E.g. the pages of Vinyl Guides. As it is now, the pages appear both in the Guides category page and Vinyl Guides subcategory page. If all such pages are categorized that way, we'll get a huge amount of articles in the category page, and pages that don't fit into a subcategory may be overlooked.

But I'm still open to suggestions. It's no big deal recatagorizing those pages, since they are still a few of them. Better cook things up now before actually doing that on the hundreds of page in HA wiki...

Reply #26
One more question: Should it be "Codec" or "Codecs" ? I think the plural... so it's my original mistake...

Reply #27
I'm going to change the vinyl guide category to the name "Vinyl". The "Guide" in its name is, for the most part, redundant.

I will also rename most of the articles to start with the subtopic, with (Vinyl) appended to avoid collisions against other topics. For example:

Advantages (Vinyl)
Disadvantages (Vinyl)

I've already been doing a lot of moving around, so expect some broken links from time to time.

Reply #28
Well, for me, it helps. I am mimicking WinAmp's grouping of plugins there. Only a few subcategories are needed: Input, Output, DSP, Looks, and Others.

Since there're also two all-encompassing Components page (one for 0.8, one for 0.9), the grouping here should not pose too much problem.

I am more concerned of the stacked/multicategory strategy. E.g. the pages of Vinyl Guides. As it is now, the pages appear both in the Guides category page and Vinyl Guides subcategory page. If all such pages are categorized that way, we'll get a huge amount of articles in the category page, and pages that don't fit into a subcategory may be overlooked.

But I'm still open to suggestions. It's no big deal recatagorizing those pages, since they are still a few of them. Better cook things up now before actually doing that on the hundreds of page in HA wiki...

Ok. as long as we keep it controlled. 
What about the category tree plugin for mediawiki? It would make the categories page more readable, though I do not know if the current infrastructure could support it...

Reply #29
Re: Category tree.

I have asked Jan S. to install it, and -- being the nice guy that he is  -- he said he had it installed now. But I can't find how to activate it in a page. Any clues?

In installing that, the AJAX framework was also activated. Now this does run; try entering part of a word in the searchbox, i.e. "fooba", and in several seconds the right part of the screen transforms to show the matching results.

Reply #31
I don't think there is anything I can do if it doesn't work.
It is either an AJAX issue or the fact that it seems to require mediawiki 1.8 (just noticed that now).
Neither of those I can do anything about. 1.8 has not even been officially released yet and they even dropped support for the php version we use in 1.7.

Reply #32
an upgrade to the latest php and mediawiki version would be possible?

Reply #33
According to Garf an update to php is not gonna happen.

Reply #34
ok. thanks for the info
I guess we're stuck with current functionality then.