Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: signal in time-frequency domain (Read 6074 times) previous topic - next topic

signal in time-frequency domain

1.If signal in time domain is infinite ,it must be finite in frequency domain, vice versa.

2.If signal in time domain is finite, it must be infinite in frequency domain,vice versa.

How to prove them? Which articles/textbooks implemented that?

Do not just give a example to deduct them,I require a proof of theory.

thank you in advance.

cheers

Reply #2
1.If signal in time domain is infinite ,it must be finite in frequency domain, vice versa.

IIRC no.

?

The Foiurier transform is used in signal processing, usually digital signal processing, only to approximate when the limits of integration are very large but in reality still finite. They are large enough that people get away with the definite integral that can be calculated exactly that has infinite limits of integration. Usually, such integration is done in the complex plane with a semicircle, the straight part on the real axis and the arc from the left side or lower limit on the real axis to the right side which is the upper limit on the real axis. The integral becomae a line integral around a closed semicircular path and the Cauchy Goursant (I am not certain of the spelling of his name) Theorem uses residues inside the semicircle and the radius of the semicircle approaches infinity as the integral converges to a finite limit.

Then this finite limit which is the exact value of the integral is very close to the value of an integral with large enough values of its limits that it can be used in the time domain.
Dr Barney

Reply #3
Yes. I mean "extent",not "value".

1.If the extent of signal in time domain is infinite ,it must be finite in frequency
domain, vice versa.
2.If the extent of signal in time domain is infinite, it must be finite in frequency
domain,vice versa.
3. No matter periodic or non-periodic and continuous or discrete time,the two statements above must keep.

Reply #4
Are you talking about continuous-time or discrete-time domain?
There are some ideal analogue signals like step functions or Dirac delta function which have infinite amount of spectral components no matter if the signal is finite or infinite in the time domain. I think one example could be a 1Hz square wave extending from zero to +- infinity (infinite in both the time and the frequency domain which violates your rule no. 1).

Reply #5

This is not correct. Take a step function with an infinite support. Its spectrum is infinite too.