Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Encoding with True VBR (Read 31630 times) previous topic - next topic

Encoding with True VBR

Reply #25
In the past (and I believe still is the case) the "256 (VBR)" that you see on the iTunes encode was a nominal bitrate rather than the actual bitrate. As you see from your own encodes, the actual average bitrate may be slightly higher or lower.

Encoding with True VBR

Reply #26
But why doesn't it at least show "(VBR)"?

Encoding with True VBR

Reply #27

That (VBR) is picked from a special binary tag named "Encoding params", that stores encoding mode of iTunes (ABR, VBR) or something. Technically, there's not way to tell VBR AAC from ABR AAC just looking at an AAC file. It is just a matter of encoding strategy, and there remains no sign on the encoded result. Therefore they use that tag. Of course this "solution" should work only inside of iTunes world, and I'm not interested in it.

Encoding with True VBR

Reply #28

That (VBR) is picked from a special binary tag named "Encoding params", that stores encoding mode of iTunes (ABR, VBR) or something. Technically, there's not way to tell VBR AAC from ABR AAC just looking at an AAC file. It is just a matter of encoding strategy, and there remains no sign on the encoded result. Therefore they use that tag. Of course this "solution" should work only inside of iTunes world, and I'm not interested in it.

Can you please add an "-itunes-fields" flag or something so that it writes the encoding params and target bitrate? Most of my library is in this "256 kbps (VBR)" format and it looks inconsistent. I prefer to use qAAC since I can do multi-core conversions in parallel unlike iTunes.

Is there at least some tool which will let me modify these values without too much work?

Encoding with True VBR

Reply #29

Can you please add an "-itunes-fields" flag or something so that it writes the encoding params and target bitrate? Most of my library is in this "256 kbps (VBR)" format and it looks inconsistent. I prefer to use qAAC since I can do multi-core conversions in parallel unlike iTunes.

Is there at least some tool which will let me modify these values without too much work?

Ive been asking for a encoder which can do this for a long time, qaac is very good but some people dont want all the bells and whistles that come with it. Im sure someone on this forum could easily create an encoder which encodes to itunes 256 vbr so the files come out exactly as encoded through itunes but without the trouble of using itunes. there was itunesencode buts its very old and would only encode to single core.

Encoding with True VBR

Reply #30

Version 2.51 (now released) always writes iTunes compliant "Encoding Params" tag.

Since this tag is in binary form, it wouldn't be as simple as writing ordinary text tags.

Encoding with True VBR

Reply #31
Im sure someone on this forum could easily create an encoder which encodes to itunes 256 vbr so the files come out exactly as encoded through itunes but without the trouble of using itunes.

What is "exactly"? Exactly the same output including the container?
For example, iTunes writes "iTunes 12.1.2.27" into the tool tag. iTunes doesn't support TVBR, doesn't support more than 3 channels, or ADTS output. Supported tags are limited.
So, this encoder basically cannot support functionalities that iTunes doesn't support. And it always requires iTunes installation so that it can get versions and pretend to be iTunes.
I really don't understand your needs. Why on the earth such things are so important when qaac can produce bit-identical AAC bitstream?

Encoding with True VBR

Reply #32
Oh, and I forgot to mention about HE-AAC bug of iTunes. There's nearly 50-50 chance that you get truncated result out of iTunes HE-AAC encoding, and you will not able to achieve gapless playback.
If you like this, you can always use --no-smart-padding on qaac.

Encoding with True VBR

Reply #33
Im sure someone on this forum could easily create an encoder which encodes to itunes 256 vbr so the files come out exactly as encoded through itunes but without the trouble of using itunes.

What is "exactly"? Exactly the same output including the container?
For example, iTunes writes "iTunes 12.1.2.27" into the tool tag. iTunes doesn't support TVBR, doesn't support more than 3 channels, or ADTS output. Supported tags are limited.
So, this encoder basically cannot support functionalities that iTunes doesn't support. And it always requires iTunes installation so that it can get versions and pretend to be iTunes.
I really don't understand your needs. Why on the earth such things are so important when qaac can produce bit-identical AAC bitstream?

Yes so the file outputted would be identical to one encoded with itunes, I cant imagine a lot of people using the extra features included in qaac like 3 channels? or adts? Would it not be possible without an itunes installation? Basically an updated version of iTunesEncode to work with multi core.

http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=35242

Encoding with True VBR

Reply #34
iTunesEncode doesn't really do encoding on its own: it asks iTunes to convert files.

Encoding with True VBR

Reply #35
iTunesEncode doesn't really do encoding on its own: it asks iTunes to convert files.

ok. If itunes wasnt so clunky to use and it accepted various formats then i would use it.

Encoding with True VBR

Reply #36
I cant imagine a lot of people using the extra features included in qaac like 3 channels? or adts?

Huh? I think TVBR is used by lots of people if I'm not wrong.

Encoding with True VBR

Reply #39
I cant imagine a lot of people using the extra features included in qaac like 3 channels? or adts?

In my opinion one of the biggest advantage of qaac is a possibility of making a portable without iTunes being installed.  And of course, TVBR and high quality mode (q2) which are missing in iTunes .  qaac is very easy to use and even easier with foobar2000. I can't say the same for iTunesEncode and iTunes (both a.k.a butt pain).

Thank You for development of qaac and make it easier for users.

Encoding with True VBR

Reply #40

In my opinion one of the biggest advantage of qaac is a possibility of making a portable without iTunes being installed.  And of course, TVBR and high quality mode (q2) which are missing in iTunes .  qaac is very easy to use and even easier with foobar2000. I can't say the same for iTunesEncode and iTunes (both a.k.a butt pain).

Thank You for development of qaac and make it easier for users.

Yes i agree qaac is very good. Look how popular apple is in this world so a majority of people would have itunes installed, and as you cant encode to tvbr using itunes nobody knows how long it will be supported by apple. As much as i like qaac and i appreciate the effort to keep it updated etc i wouldnt imagine it would be very hard for someone to make an extra tool or upgrade iTunesEncode for the people who would use it.

Encoding with True VBR

Reply #43
His point was that your assertion that "a majority of people would have itunes installed" is not only false, but useless for the purposes of this discussion.

iTunes is not the only media player. iTunes is not even the most popular media player, at least among users of this forum.

Encoding with True VBR

Reply #44

Version 2.51 (now released) always writes iTunes compliant "Encoding Params" tag.

Since this tag is in binary form, it wouldn't be as simple as writing ordinary text tags.

I don't see any difference with 2.51 in iTunes. It neither shows the constrained bit rate as 256 kbps or "(VBR)".

Encoding with True VBR

Reply #45
His point was that your assertion that "a majority of people would have itunes installed" is not only false, but useless for the purposes of this discussion.

iTunes is not the only media player. iTunes is not even the most popular media player, at least among users of this forum.

Yes its true its not the only media,but there is gonna be a hell of a lot of people who have it installed due to the amount of people who own iphones,ipads,ipods.
He made out just because qaac can be used without itunes installed then there is no need, my point is there is also a lot of people who would have it installed.
At the end of the day there is no need to get funny about it and everyone on here is allowed to have there opinion. If someone prefers to do something a certain way then thats fine there is no need to make out that person is wrong by doing it that way?

Encoding with True VBR

Reply #46
As much as i like qaac and i appreciate the effort to keep it updated etc i wouldnt imagine it would be very hard for someone to make an extra tool or upgrade iTunesEncode for the people who would use it.

Since evidently no one else is interested, why don't you be that person and do it yourself?

Encoding with True VBR

Reply #47
As much as i like qaac and i appreciate the effort to keep it updated etc i wouldnt imagine it would be very hard for someone to make an extra tool or upgrade iTunesEncode for the people who would use it.

Since evidently no one else is interested, why don't you be that person and do it yourself?

Thats fine, and if i was able to make the tool then i would.
Like ive said before whats the point in people posting negative comments??

Encoding with True VBR

Reply #48

Thats a not a negative comment, its a serious suggestion.  You want something enough to argue with people who are not interested. Instead of wasting your time, why not solve the problem?

Encoding with True VBR

Reply #49

Thats a not a negative comment, its a serious suggestion.  You want something enough to argue with people who are not interested. Instead of wasting your time, why not solve the problem?

I would love to be able to make it myself but wouldnt know where to start. And ive not argued with anyone ive just voiced my opinion and it seemed people had alot to say about it.