Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Re-encode Wavpack to Wavpack (Read 6288 times) previous topic - next topic

Re-encode Wavpack to Wavpack

G'day everyone,

I've been ripping my CDs to Wavpack images with embedded cuesheets and EAC logs, and separate cuesheet files.  They're currently stored as follows:

F:\music\wavpack-images\ARTIST\(YEAR) ALBUM\ARTIST - (YEAR) ALBUM.wv (image)
F:\music\wavpack-images\ARTIST\(YEAR) ALBUM\ARTIST - (YEAR) ALBUM.wv.cue (separate cuesheet)

They've been encoded with various versions of Wavpack (mostly 4.31), mostly with just the -m setting.

I'm going to start burning them to DVDs as backups.  Before I do, I want to re-compress them all to the latest version of Wavpack at a higher compression setting (I've got a boxed set of 10 CDs that is currently a hair's breadth from fitting on one disc...).  When done, I'll probably re-compress them to -m or -fm for faster decoding, since I like playing with Cueproc and lossy encoders.

How do I set this up to be done automatically overnight?  I'd like to keep all the info that's currently in the files (tags, embedded cuesheet, log etc.) except that I'd like to update the ENCODER comment.  Here's what's in a typical file (from Foobar properties), although some of the older files are slightly different:

Artist Name : Various
Track Title : Crazy But Not Insane (The Asylum Version)
Album Title : Only The Strong MCMXCIII
Date : 1993
Album Artist : Various
Track Number : 1
Total Tracks : 10
Comment : ExactAudioCopy v0.95b4
<DISCID> : 7008250A
<EACLOG> : EAC extraction logfile from 28. April 2007, 17:23 for CD (...)
<ENCODER> : Wavpack 4.31 -m
<RIPDATE> : 2007-04-28

When it's done re-encoding one file, it will need to delete the old file, or I will run out of disk space.

I've just noticed that the .wv files have the wrong Artist Name for various-artist albums (in this case it says 'Various' instead of 'Warzone').  The .wv.cue files have the correct Artist Name.  If possible, I'd like to fix this at the same time.

So, in summary, the wishlist is:
- re-encode to latest Wavpack, keeping all the info that is in the current files;
- update the ENCODER comment to reflect the new Wavpack version and settings;
- fix the Artist Name for various-artist CDs;
- delete the old .wv file when done.

All suggestions appreciated.
Stephen

Reply #1
Could I suggest a two-step process? Using a block conversion program, such as dbPoweramp, convert to a second lossless format, preserving tags, then convert back to Wavpack.

Reply #2
When it's done re-encoding one file, it will need to delete the old file, or I will run out of disk space.

Except for deleting the original file, foobar2000 could take care of it.
If you find a solution that deletes the original file(s), be sure it only does so when the conversion has no errors.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #3
This thread might be useful to you, fellow Warzone (R.I.P. Ray Beez ) listener.
WavPack 5.7.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #4
Thanks all of you.  I'll do some more playing with Foobar and maybe the batch files etc. from DARcode's thread.  I've decided that fixing the Various Artist problem is too hard and not really necessary, so I'll leave that out.

GeSomeone, you make a good point.  I've got enough disk space that I could do it in just three goes, without deleting the originals until I've checked for problems.  I'll do that instead.

Thanks again,
Stephen

Reply #5
If you want to check the files before deleting them (a wise choice) you could include gl.tter's very convenient tool in the batch file.
WavPack 5.7.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100