Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Yes: Memory based (Rio 800,NW-S4,Nex II,etc.)
[ 120 ] (11.6%)
Yes: CD based (Iriver,eXpanium, Rio Volt, etc.)
[ 210 ] (20.4%)
Yes: Hard disk based (iPod, etc.)
[ 243 ] (23.6%)
Yes: PocketPC etc. (capable for playing)
[ 25 ] (2.4%)
Yes: Mobile phone based
[ 14 ] (1.4%)
Yes: 2 (or more) different types.
[ 65 ] (6.3%)
No: Waiting for one with Ogg Vorbis support
[ 116 ] (11.3%)
Not yet, But I'm about to get one.
[ 64 ] (6.2%)
No
[ 174 ] (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 1197

Topic: Do you have a portable (Read 125260 times) previous topic - next topic

Do you have a portable

Reply #100
I've had a love/hate 1.5 years with my ipod--the hates being battery life and nero compatability, or lack thereof. I'm not sure what the point of a 40 gig one when you can only llsten to a few cds of music, with my aging battery, it's about 6, which is especially annoying since larger files drain it quicker and if you've got 40 gigs, it would be tempting to go lossless. It does sound great, and Apple was great about expeditiously getting it back to me when the headphone jack decided to only output mono. After the inevitable post x-mas sales, I'm in the market for the new iriver, you can't argue with ogg, a cool remote and not being tethered to the charger or itunes.

Do you have a portable

Reply #101
I just bought one. I settled on the iPod. Its far from perfect but after looking at everything that was available it was the best and I had decided that AAC/MP4 was the future (wish MPC was but I fear it will never be seen on a portable player).

Do you have a portable

Reply #102
IMO, one very needed feature in IPB is the hability to create editable polls - I.E, that the user can later change his vote.

When I voted at this poll, more than one year and half ago, I had no player. Now I own an Expanium. Also, most people aren't waiting for Vorbis support anymore, after the release of the Karma and the Neuros.

These polls simply aren't trustworthy anymore. Like the Codec poll. I bet several people changed their choice of codec once or twice since they voted there.

Do you have a portable

Reply #103
@ rjamorim

I agree, however this forum has a feature that only allows you to view the results when you have voted - otherwise you'll loose your vote. I think this has been implemented because otherwise some people might base their opinion on other users’ opinion. Anyway, they just released ipb 2.0 alpha so they'll probably change this....how about if you post this in their suggestion forum.
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Do you have a portable

Reply #104
I've had an 2:nd generation iPod for about a year now. I was very happy with it until it broke down 3 weeks ago. I just had to buy me a new one. Thought long and hard about it and finally decided to buy me a Jens of Sweden 512MB.

Do you have a portable

Reply #105
I had the original Rio PMP300 when it first came out, and loved it. A year or two later, I upgraded to the Rio500, which in my opinion is the best flash mp3 player ever released. After that, I bought an Iomega HipZip, and took it back a week later because it erm, sucked. Stuck with the Rio500 for another year, then bought a RioVolt SP250, which I've used ever since. It might be a little on the large side, but it's a great mp3 cd player.

But I've since gotten tired of burning new CD's whenever I rip something new, so I plan to buy myself a Rio Karma in the coming weeks, if I don't get one for xmas that is (I've been hinting to various loved ones.. ).

Edit: Wow, I just realized how old this thread was.
We're all just noise on the wires..

Do you have a portable

Reply #106
A fellow SP250 user! JOY!!!

Did you put iRiver firmware on yours? I'm lovin' it.

Do you have a portable

Reply #107
Crazy 'bout my Slimx IMP-350.

Do you have a portable

Reply #108
Palm Zire 71 with RealOne Player and a 256MB Lexar SD card.  (I bet your MP3 player doesn't have a 320 x 320 16-bit color screen!)

Do you have a portable

Reply #109
I have a samsung yepp with 32MB of flash memory that I bought off a friend for £20 pounds.Sounds great, looks nice , eats batterys and users a very tempramental  parallel port connection to transfer files if I'm lucky or crash the software.

If I could upgrade this player for xtra battery life,usb or firewire and 5 Gigs I'd be a happy chappy  .

But I can't so I'm not. 

Do you have a portable

Reply #110
My portable mp3 player doesn't fall into any of the categories listed.  It's a portable dvd-mp3 player, the Sony MDPAP20U.  It's not quite on the iRiver level as far as feature-set (not firmware upgradeable and no real user-customizable options) but it does everything I need as far as easy access to all folders on a DVD+RW and has the modes I use most (shuffle all and folder play) as well as resume.  Power options are also limited as there is no DC adapter, but the internal lithium battery usually provides enough power per outing.  (I recommend an inverter if you're going to be using it for more than 8 hours at a time.)

Not recommended for jogging due to weight, but if you're looking for something to play a large collection on DVD (and like me can't find any hard drive players large enough) this is a viable (albeit quirky) alternative.

Do you have a portable

Reply #111
... but if you're looking for something to play a large collection on DVD (and like me can't find any hard drive players large enough) ...

Is 80 Gb not large enough for you???    (even if it is a bit $$$) 

Do you have a portable

Reply #112
3 of them

Sony MP3 / CD Player
RCA Kazoo! flash based . 192 MBs
40 gig iPod

Do you have a portable

Reply #113
Is 80 Gb not large enough for you???    (even if it is a bit $$$) 

Nope.  I'd need a minimum of 100 GB for my entire collection (encoded using -aps my 800+ cds are over the 80 GB limit); preferably 120 GB to allow room for expansion.  (And yes, the cost is prohibitive for the Archos player ... mine cost $170 US after rebate.)

Do you have a portable

Reply #114
What would be the best HD-based player to get?

I have been thinking about an iPod, but I think the battery life could be a problem, and it isd just too damn expensive... but it has AAC support...
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Do you have a portable

Reply #115
I love my iPod.  The battery life problem is a myth.  There is a faq answering that at http://www.ipodlounge.com

Do you have a portable

Reply #116
I think my first "AAC portable" will be Nokia 6230 mobile phone. Ok it's not gonna be any high capasity (currently the biggest MMC card available is 1 GB), but since I carry my phone always (and 6230 is small and weights only 97g/3.4 oz.), I always also have it with me.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Do you have a portable

Reply #117
I think my first "AAC portable" will be Nokia 6230 mobile phone. Ok it's not gonna be any high capasity (currently the biggest MMC card available is 1 GB), but since I carry my phone always (and 6230 is small and weights only 97g/3.4 oz.), I always also have it with me.

Do you know when is it going to be released and what's its MSRP going to be?

I checked in some online stores, but I couldn't find it.

And I'm very interested...

Do you have a portable

Reply #118
Do you know when is it going to be released and what's its MSRP going to be?

I checked in some online stores, but I couldn't find it.

And I'm very interested...

Nothing certain, but it should be soon. Most seem to think it will be out sometime in Feb.

I don't know about the price, but it will prolly be something around 400 € according to rumors.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Do you have a portable

Reply #119
something around 400 € according to rumors.

Ouch...

But I think it's OK for the semi-PDA, AAC-player and cellphone combo...

Having 1GB of memory with the MMC card puts it in mini iPod range...

Definitely interested...

Do you have a portable

Reply #120
something around 400 € according to rumors.

Ouch...

I don't know how marketing works in Europe, but in the US the hot new phones are heavily discounted if you commit to a service contract or extension to an existing contract.  You might get it for 25% of retail in return for $30-40/month for 2 years. for the phone service.

Do you have a portable

Reply #121
I've a Panasonic SL-CT800, a nice MP3-CD player, and a Rio Karma, since my CD burner decided to have a fit in my one and only laptop, and I don't feel like replacing it at the moment. Wonderful battery life and multi-format support, along with a nice easy to hold casing make this my favorite player.

Do you have a portable

Reply #122
I've had my diva mp3 player for a long time now. Not the best around but it was cheap at the time and it uses compaq flash memory which i can also use for my digi cam 
Might get a new player when one with ogg support gets available.

Do you have a portable

Reply #123
Couldn't wait to ogg/aac support onto relative cheap CD players and get today my Iriver ChromeX (iMP-150)
It has everything I want, but now I have to upgrade its firmware to 1.30 (it comes with 1.03).
I think I'll use WMA instead of MP3, it think it is a better choise in the range of 128kbps (VBR), is this true?

Do you have a portable

Reply #124
I think I'll use WMA instead of MP3, it think it is a better choise in the range of 128kbps (VBR), is this true?

Seeing your member number and joining date, one would think you have been here long enough to have seen this