Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_musicbrainz (Read 280629 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_musicbrainz

Reply #325
Only just noticed this had new posts....

Well I don't think that discogs lookup is at all possible. Even if it was, I wouldn't be adding it. Also, the MB webservices have been severely overloaded over recent weeks meaning it's barely even usable at the moment.

Tbh, I don't think I'll be working much on this any more because I don't have the skills to make any significant changes.

Reply #326
A feature request.

Currently the component writes multiple %musicbrainz_artistid% for feat.  artists , but keeps the artist name to "xxx xxx feat. yyy yyy"
e.g
%artist% Justin Timberlake feat. JAY Z
%musicbrainz_artistid% 596ffa74-3d08-44ef-b113-765d43d12738; f82bcf78-5b69-4622-a5ef-73800768d9ac

In my opinion it would be better to remove the feat. and seperate the artist field.
e.g
%artist% Justin Timberlake; JAY Z
%musicbrainz_artistid% 596ffa74-3d08-44ef-b113-765d43d12738; f82bcf78-5b69-4622-a5ef-73800768d9ac

Reply #327
^If that was aimed at me, see the last sentence of the post directly above yours.  :))

I should probably remove the GH repo so I no longer give the false impression that I'm able to do anything with it.

Reply #328
Sad to hear...   :o

Reply #329
This add-on works pretty well for me. Sure, Picard adds richer tags but is far from easy to handle. The only thing that this plugin doesn't get right is to add the "albumartist" tag always. At the moment, when "artist" is found, "albumartist" is left empty. This leads to problems with other software.

If this small change were possible, that would be great!

Reply #330
The only thing that this plugin doesn't get right is to add the "albumartist" tag always. At the moment, when "artist" is found, "albumartist" is left empty. This leads to problems with other software.
For me, the current behaviour (don't duplicate %artist% into %albumartist%) is correct, and I never had any problems with it.

Reply #331
Picard tags it that way (doubled) and when reading a file in Kodi that has an MB artist but no MB albumartist tag, Kodi sorts it under [Missing]. Yeah, Kodi could be more lenient, but this here fix would be faster  :-[

Reply #332
I'd love to see some development of this tool, but I guess it's abandoned by all parties now? I use it regularly but do wish it could be customised more in terms of what it retrieves and the tags it writes. The original date issue (it'll just give you the earliest date on their system which is often not the accepted release date) and "error parsing XML" issue when there's lots of results are two things that'd be nice to see improved. Obviously this is wishful thinking while it's not in development, but just in case work resumes or someone makes a replacement...

Reply #333
I agree I kind of which someone responsible like @kode54 would take it on and update it as a little side project or @Peter   would just port and update the tagger and make it into the core since even though being outdated and some what broken its still the best tagger component we have available

Reply #334
I. Album Artists

I would like to give my request another try => always write "album artist" + "musicbrainz_albumartistid".
There are 2 main reasons to do this:

1) Keep compatibility with other software
The official musicbrainz tagger, Picard, tags files this way and other software may expect the requested tags to be always present. From a purely economical point of view, these tags are not requiered when no split artists or various artists are present on an album. However, there is software which aims to hide those artists in user's library which only appear on compilations. That only works programmatically if "album artist" is the starting point for such a check.

2) Keep behaviour consistent within foobar2000
The "Discogs" tagger always seems to write an "album artist" even when there are no split or various artists. I am guessing that is recommended bevavior at Discogs, same as at Musicbrainz.

I usually write both tags to my file, Discogs first and then Musicbrainz, because I like their capitalization schemes better and they usually get diacritics etc. right (even though Musicbrainz uses lots of non-ascii characters which annoy me to no end and which the foobar2000 implementation doesn't replace correctly with ASCII characters). The foobar2000 MB tagger implementation doesn't leave well alone, however, as it actively clears some fields which the Discogs tagger writes, namely "album artist" in the cases mentioned above, and "disc".

II. Disc subtitles

At last, I would plead for the Discogs tagger and the Musicbrainz tagger to use the same tag for "disc subtitle". This tag is especially important when dealing with multi-disc releases of an artists complete works under a new name and the release titles are only written to "disc subtitles". Examples for this are Pink Floyd's "Oh by the way", Yes' "High Vibration", Manfred Mann's' "40th Anniversary", to name a few. The foobar2000 Discogs tagger uses "DISC_SUBTITLE" and the Musicbrainz tagger uses "DISCSUBTITLE". Using the same tag would make things easier to maintain.

Reply #335
@Sandrine , original developer is not on hydrogenaudio anymore and doesn't maintain component anymore. Component is maintained by marc2003 - https://github.com/marc2k3/foo_musicbrainz/releases , but marc2003 also left  hydrogenaudio. So you better try to contact him on github.

Reply #336
Thanks marc2k3, that was really swift!

Reply #337
so is this under active development once again https://github.com/marc2k3/foo_musicbrainz makes it look  so its one of my favorite rags and if its being updated agian it needs to be on the cponents repo please !

Reply #339
just a reminder the original version of this plugin is retired and should NOT  be used or recommended    the only proper place to stay updated on this plugin is the thread linked to by @jesus2099  above^ or  via https://github.com/marc2k3/foo_musicbrainz/releases

Reply #340
Just to make you aware: If you use foobar2000's function to rewrite MP3 tags, this can lead to corrupt tags in certain situations. This component writes VORBIS comments, which is fine. BUT if you want to copy those tags to ID3 please be aware that those will be incorrect/corrupt. This is due to some ancient Picard convention which uses underscores for tags in VORBIS comments but spaces in ID3 tags. A more in-depth explanation can be found here: https://marc2k3.github.io/foo_musicbrainz.html#tag-mapping

If you need MBIDs in your ID3 tags you must use Picard or a different external software that is capable of correct tagging. Marc2k3 has stated that he will not change the current behaviour.

Reply #341
@Peter In light of the previous post, maybe it would be a good idea to make foobar2000 aware of specific tag requirements for different tag formats when converting? A good overview is available at https://picard.musicbrainz.org/docs/mappings/

Reply #343
Marcs link to his foo_musicbrainz seems to be dead  :(

Reply #344
@MojoBass , it seems that marc2003 deleted (or moved to private) both his foo_musicbrainz and foo_listenbrainz2 repositories.

Reply #345
@MojoBass , it seems that marc2003 deleted (or moved to private) both his foo_musicbrainz and foo_listenbrainz2 repositories.
Marc2003 pointed me to a fork of his repo, and I'll most likely be taking over development and maintenance of this shortly. I've got a lot of experience querying musicbrainz for stuff, so should be relatively painless for me I hope.

Reply #346
... it seems that marc2003 deleted (or moved to private) both his foo_musicbrainz and foo_listenbrainz2 repositories.
Yah, I saw that. I had hoped it was only temporary.

Marc2003 pointed me to a fork of his repo, and I'll most likely be taking over development and maintenance of this shortly. I've got a lot of experience querying musicbrainz for stuff, so should be relatively painless for me I hope.
Excellent news. Thanks! You developers are all remarkably amazing.  :)

I'd use this plugin a lot more if it would find and tag files with MusicBrainz tags, based upon the presence of a Discogs Release ID tag. Does anyone know if that's already possible somehow?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #347
I'd use this plugin a lot more if it would find and tag files with MusicBrainz tags, based upon the presence of a Discogs Release ID tag. Does anyone know if that's already possible somehow?
As far as I know it's not possible to query the MB API by discogs tag. It's easy enough to get external links from a known release_MBID, but not the other way around. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Reply #348
As far as I know it's not possible to query the MB API by discogs tag. It's easy enough to get external links from a known release_MBID, but not the other way around. ...
Thanks, I assumed as much, hopefully the API can manage this someday.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #349
No disrespect meant to Marc but he seems to have some issues he brought back a amazingly useful tool only to hide it when people took notice most of us were proud to have it back he has his reasons i guess i find it bad that this keeps happening to this tagger @MordredKLB please give it some love and a more stable home