Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: vorbis GT2 vs. vorbis PCVS - 12 samples (Read 5429 times) previous topic - next topic

vorbis GT2 vs. vorbis PCVS - 12 samples

Here is a small and QUICK comparison between GT2 encodings and PCVS encodings, based on the 12 samples of the ff123 64 kbps & the Roberto Amorim AAC 128 kbps listening test.
PLEASE, DON'T COMPARE THE NOTATION OF THIS TEST TO OTHER NOTATIONS OF THE SAME SAMPLES. I had in mind to build an quality hierarchy between an old encoder (RC2, tweeked by Garf) that doesn't suffer of the hiss issues of the 'final' 1.0 version, and this last one.
This test was a quick one : I've just listen to the most immediate artifacts.

Code: [Select]
                      GT2   PCVS
01. 41_30          * 1.9   3.8
02. Atrain         * 3.0   4.5
03. Beautyslept    * 2.8   3.8
04. Blackwater     * 3.1   3.7
05. Death2         * 3.4   4.2
06. Flooressence   * 5.0   4.6
07. Layla          * 3.3   3.6
08. Lifeshatters   * 2.6   3.5
09. MidnightVoy    * 2.6   3.0
10. Thear1         * 3.2   3.8
11. TheSource      * 1.9    Ø  ²
12. Waiting        * 3.0   2.0

² mistake : took the reference for the encoded one (it happens with the wma9 test, too...)

Some comments :[/i]
=> GT2 had much more artifacts (watering cymbals), and some times a stronger lowpass (easy to perceive, for exemple, on 41_30.wav)
=> PCVS encodings are dusty ; noise is added. It destroyed the micro-dynamic of some instruments, like cymbals. But sound quality isn't (at least today, for me) so immediatly annoying than GT2 distorsions.
=> on Waiting.wav sample, GT2 wins on voice segment, the one I listened. On the second part of the sample, PCVS may win.