Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FTP Transfer Of Audio Files To Phone (Read 1613 times) previous topic - next topic

FTP Transfer Of Audio Files To Phone

FTP with Foobar2000 app works well for me, however . . .

I was copying my audio files (about 70GB) from my computer to my phone via Foobar2000 FTP server, got to 85%.

I then accidentally interrupted the copying.

Now I don't know how to copy *only* the remaining files, and I don't know if the last file to copy was partially copied, or removed so that the 2nd to last file is complete. I don't want a partial song.

I tried comparing source and destination folders in WinMerge but I couldn't open the FTP in that program.

When trying to copy ALL files again (and hoping to "ignore" the already existing files in destination), of course, Windows 10 just gives up trying to find all the files that already exist in destination, and does nothing.

To get to 85% took many hours. So I don't really want to delete all off phone then copy all again.

Help?

Re: FTP Transfer Of Audio Files To Phone

Reply #1
Would it be an option to connect the phone via USB to do the copying and would be faster?

Reply #2
The reason I'm using FTP is because when I copy via USB the phone randomly disconnects from the computer not far through - USB copying is unbearable.

In Windows 10 power options "USB Selective Suspend" is indeed OFF.
And there's no lint in my phone's USB port.

Reply #3
I never used FTP on my phone so I cannot help you there. I have couple of ideas you can try.

1. If your phone has SD card, eject the card, plug it in your PC, copy files, put SD card back in the phone.
2. If you think there is a problem with Windows 10, you can boot live Linux distro and try to copy files from there.
3. If you have USB OTG adapter, you can use flash drive to copy your files.

70 GB of music is a lot. I assume you are using FLAC. For me, average FLAC bitrate is around 950 kbit/s.
By converting your music to AAC-LC at 192 kbit/s you will reduce size by ~55 GB.
gold plated toslink fan

Reply #4
When I used to use Arch Linux as my main OS I would have no issue copying.

I will try your ideas 2 and 3. I don't really want to buy an SD Card reader unless I have to.

Reply #5
Have you tried going to device manager and going to the power management tab for the usb devices and disable the allow this device to power off (or something along those lines).

You could also try installing Linux in Windows. I installed Ubuntu LTS which is on on the windows store. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/ubuntu/9nblggh4msv6?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Reply #6
As in Reply #2, yes that setting is already disabled.

I will try Linux within Windows, it seems to be a Windows problem - I suspect with an SD card reader it would have the same issue - and if I copied the files from a flash drive through adapter to phone the phone might run out of battery and it could take ages.

Reply #7
That's a different setting and might not help. 

The device manager route may fix your issue. It has help me recently when my soundcard was cutting out.

Under universal serial bus controllers and props of each usb uncheck this. 

Reply #8
Oh sorry I misread. I've never seen this setting. I will try that and get back to you in a bit.

Reply #9
The setting was already turned off on all USB devices/hubs in Device Manager. I just tried a motherboard USB on the back of my desktop instead of the front "chassis USB's" but it didn't help either.

Reply #10
Strange, I thought the default was them checked.

I'm all out of ideas apart from not letting the phone go to sleep by setting the display to always stay on in the dev settings while it's charging which I assume it is when it's plugged in via USB. 

Reply #11
That display always on idea might actually be worth checking out.

For now though I've given in and I'm just transferring everything again via FTP.

When trying to copy ALL files again (and hoping to "ignore" the already existing files in destination), of course, Windows 10 just gives up trying to find all the files that already exist in destination, and does nothing.

I believe when I had Arch Linux it did not have this issue either. Arch didn't give up trying to find the files already in destination.

That's 2 points for Linux (USB stays connected, and copying large number of files is not buggy), and 0 for W10.

I will test if having display on keeps USB connection happy after the FTP is finished, and I will get back with the result.