Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: remarks on foo_verifier 1.2.1 (Read 776 times) previous topic - next topic

remarks on foo_verifier 1.2.1

Trying foo_verifier for the first time on a bunch of MP3 files, I noticed that a specific LAME version (LAME3.94b) produced inaccurate durations, like 1/100s or less too long ("Warning: Reported length is inaccurate : 4:24.608413 vs 4:25.209229 decoded"). I saw a similar issue for WMA files (WMA V2); could it be a numeric effect in the verifier, or is it a real problem?

1) It would be nice if I were able to copy the results of the verifier to the clipboard.

2) It would be nice if I could sort by columns (e.g. by "Status")

3) The summary at the bottom said "1 item could not be correctly decoded." - Having more than 100 files verified, it's a bit tricky to find that one. See 2) ("Error: Reported length is inaccurate : 1:27:50.635469 vs 56:22.831469 decoded"). It's unclear what software created that; however when I loaded the file in Audacity, there was no error reported and both, the beginning and the end of the file looks OK. Maybe just the length in the header is quite wrong. Maybe that should not be a "Failed:" status. Also the difference in length could be coutput as percentage, too; if done before the absolute length, one could sort vie Status reasonably.

4) Maybe Optional colors (like yellow for warnings and orange or red for errors) could help to find the problems easier when scolling a large list.

5) Alternative to 2) would be an ability to filter (like: All, Warnings, Errors (where Warnings include Errors, also))

6) Maybe output length difference as number of samples as it might be more obvious that the absolute duration.

7) Why are MD5 and CRC32 displayed for lossless formats only? And: Does the checksum include the metadata also, or is it only over the actual (encoded) audio? Or is it over the decoded audio?

8) If there are many errors, double-clicking the error message could open a popup that shows all the messages. Example (tuncated):
Warning: Suspiciously large peak : 68946.0234375
Warning: Reported length is inaccurate : 35:18.312494 vs 32:42.445066 decoded
Error: MPEG stream error at 78241 bytes
Error: MPEG stream error at 80380 bytes
Error: MP3 decoding failure: Unsupported format or corrupted file
Error: MPEG frame checksum mismatch.
Error: MPEG stream error at 266835 bytes
Error: MPEG stream error at 271844 bytes
Error: MPEG stream error at 273410 bytes
Error: MPEG stream error at 279254 bytes
Error: MPEG stream error at 280297 bytes
Error: MPEG stream error at 286974 bytes

Ok, just a few idea in case you are running out of them  ;)

Final general question: Is there a variable holding the encoder like "LAME3.94b" that could be used for a library view? That way, I could get an overview which encoders were used.

Re: remarks on foo_verifier 1.2.1

Reply #1
Final general question: Is there a variable holding the encoder like "LAME3.94b" that could be used for a library view? That way, I could get an overview which encoders were used.
You can use - $info(tool)

Regarding display length, there is an option under (hold shift key) right-click track > Utilities > Fix VBR MP3 Header... that might apply.