Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Not my release] Biography view (Read 490773 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [Not my release] Biography view

Reply #826
Just to clarify:

last.fm bio.txt: displays text only. Use the right click menu to change language and other options.
thumbs.txt: displays images only. Automatic downloads are off by default but can be turned on via the right click menu
now playing (basic).txt: displays images and text in the same panel. Same options as above scripts.

Reply #827
there is no fix for this component because the source has never been shared. as an alternative, you can use my WSH panel mod script which is linked a few posts up.

There is a fix. Biography View uses official last.fm API so it still works. The issue is that an api key used in component has been blocked by last.fm. The solution is simple. You need to obtain a new api key (free) from last.fm and replace the old one with the new one in component using a hexeditor.
By the way good work marc2003.

Reply #828
You are mistaken. The API key used by the component is fine because it can still download images. Also, the url for the image is extracted from the same page that contains the text. The reason the component can't display text is because the response XML is formatted differently compared to what is was before.

The solution is simple. You need to obtain a new api key (free) from last.fm and replace the old one with the new one in component using a hexeditor.

This is bullshit. Why are you making stuff up that isn't true?

edit; just to prove a point, I captured the response with wireshark.

http://i.imgur.com/Gc5exA9.png

The text is right there. Changing the API key isn't going to fix it.

Reply #829
Just don't know why some developer don't make new biography component, it's easy to make that plugin if you already familiar with creating components for foobar. Biography and lyrics are plugins that should be present as standard..
Anyway i use wsh(jscript), so i don't need to worry that it will stop working..

Reply #830
Just don't know why some developer don't make new biography component, Anyway i use wsh(jscript),
You answered your own question. That component is called jscript with the corresponding biography sample from marc2003.

Reply #831
You are mistaken.

Yes. You are right. I did not test it thoroughly and made a mistake.  There is no need to use Wireshark, you can check it directly from browser using API request:
http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/2.0/?method=artist.getInfo&api_key=554ae27e0b90079f4fa22a825cf2b200&autocorrect=1&artist=Abba
and it did not work at the time I was checking it.
Second I forgot about cache of Biography component. Coincidence this two has led me to wrong conclusion that this is a culprit.

You gave me a hint and I had one more look at this issue and found a solution. A real one this time :).
It used to be <![CDATA[...]]> markup in XML that exist no more in last.fm API response. Fortunately it can be corrected using hexeditor as well. All bytes <![CDATA[...]]> should be filed with zeros so component puts nothing in this place.
Fixed Biography component:
http://www.filedropper.com/foouiebiographylastfmfix
changes:
-bytes <![CDATA[...]]> changed to 00
-version change from 0.4.2.4  to 0.4.2.5
and it DOES work this time.

Reply #832

You gave me a hint and I had one more look at this issue and found a solution. A real one this time :).
It used to be <![CDATA[...]]> markup in XML that exist no more in last.fm API response. Fortunately it can be corrected using hexeditor as well. All bytes <![CDATA[...]]> should be filed with zeros so component puts nothing in this place.
Fixed Biography component:
http://www.filedropper.com/foouiebiographylastfmfix
changes:
-bytes <![CDATA[...]]> changed to 00
-version change from 0.4.2.4  to 0.4.2.5
and it DOES work this time.

Your download link doesn't work. :-[
But I can confirm the HEX fix does work and can display the wiki text.!! :D

Reply #833
Your download link doesn't work. :-[

For me the download link works. I can give one more:
http://speedy.sh/cYfsT/foo-uie-biography-lastfm-fix.7z

I have to give one more advice. If somebody uses cached files, you have to remove all old *.lmfl files from cache directory(set in Biography component settings). That files contains ![CDATA[...] markups and will not be displayed correctly.

Reply #834
i confirm, biography 4.2.5 works perfect
thx

Reply #835
an issue:
david gilmour bio ends with pete townshend - white city - 1985
but there are 14 lines more on lastfm

Reply #836
error found:
panel preference - font/color :
font renderer must be on GDI+
so the whole bio will be shown

Reply #837
Thanks for the update! Your efforts are truly appreciated. 

I did notice that the text formatting is a bit fucked up with apostrophes, and other symbols.  For example, whenever there is an apostrophe it'll display "#apos;"   Any fix for this? 

Reply #838
Now images aren't showing anymore.... 

Reply #840
I'm having the same issue.

Reply #841
Yep, same here - no images.
+ i've found bug, if bio text is scrollable, and you scroll to bottom, than press little arrow on top - whole bio will disappear and will stay same, unti foobar2000 restart

Reply #842
+1 on no artist image showing

Anyone figure out why (or how to fix)?

Reply #843
I can get the album and artist pictures to display in the panel, but the image cache is not working. The images are not downloading to the respective folders.

I have the setting "Provide artwork to other artwork viewers" enabled. It's weird that it can display the images fine in the panel, but they wont download.

It seems to only work for some artists.

Reply #844
+1 on no artist image showing

Anyone figure out why (or how to fix)?

I honestly just gave up on this and switched to marc2003's jscript panel for bio and album info. 

Doesn't have the album art saving capabilities but I can live with it. 

Reply #845
Doesn't have the album art saving capabilities but I can live with it.
This is something, I really loved about it. automatic saving of an albumart, which I then could embedd into the music files. I really miss it.

Reply #846
Just today noticed that I would get CPU max in foobar. It happens only when single clicking on an .mp3 file and highlighting it in the Playlist. Does not happen on wavs. Start foobar, no spike. Add file, no spike. Single click on .mp3 in playlist, CPU core maxes and stays maxed no matter what I do in Foobar until Foobar is closed.

Nailed the problem down to foo_uie_biography.dll, specifically to the Wikipedia source. Remove "Wikipedia" from "Current source list" and the problem goes away.

Not sure if this is temporary, fixable, etc., but just posting the info in case it's useful to anyone.

Reply #847
157 date=1464641406]
http://speedy.sh/cYfsT/foo-uie-biography-lastfm-fix.7z

Both of these links are now dead. In fact, the second one leads to malware (unless an ad blocker is installed).

If someone has this could they please upload it as a forum attachment?

Reply #849
Thanks very much for the reply, but I was looking for kan's fix, not the original component (although it probably doesn't hurt to have it available here).

Anyways, I figured out how to do the hex edit on it and text is working again. But like others have said, images are no longer downloading. I tried the "Provide artwork to other artwork viewers" option but it didn't work for me. I wonder if there is a similar hex edit trick that can be used for images.