Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_uftS (Read 84162 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_uftS

Reply #25
well i would ask if the object here is not to have a config panel in the main foobar preferences?

if not, then maybe you can make the buttons configurable, as far as what they do (kinda like hotkeys)

also in either case, i think transparency would be a good option... maybe a little slider or something?

otherwise i kinda love it.

foo_uftS

Reply #26
Feature requests:
-An optional playlist.

How I use foo_uftS is I have its window in the upper right hand corner of the screen, and I size the main Foobar window so that it fits right under foo_uftS and extends to the bottom of the screen.  Any time that I need to change the playlist or preferences, I use the Foobar button in foo_uftS to pop up the (normally minimized) Foobar window.  So in essence, Foobar becomes just a nice playlist editor - which is something I wouldn't want to recreate.

- Use webdings for the buttons, it's nicer and more resource friendly than bitmaps.

This is an excellent idea, although I will retain the ability to load graphical assets for people who want to use their own bitmaps.  Thanks for your comments!

foo_uftS

Reply #27
cuz I'm sure its not easy to create a UI that could seamlessly integrate into the the main window.

It's not possible.  Or at least, it's not allowed.  Peter would call it a hack (rightly so).

foo_uftS

Reply #28
Very nice UI - thanks you!

One small problem - now when "Minimize to system tray" is set in preferences and I minimise the uftS window it is minimised in the task bar, not in the tray. Well I suppose this is not a bug - it could be the nature of the plugin or something. But it would be nice (for me) if you could force it to minimise in the tray.

Thanks!  There is no (non-hack/unsupported) way for foo_uftS to read Foobar's preferences, so I can't match what Foobar is doing. 

Even if I could, I'm not sure that I would want to - I like that foo_uftS is its own window.  Instead of minimizing foo_uftS, perhaps you'd be interested in setting up a global keyboard shortcut for "Toggle foo_uftS".  That way, you could make the window disappear when you didn't need it and didn't want it cluttering up the task bar.

foo_uftS

Reply #29
cuz I'm sure its not easy to create a UI that could seamlessly integrate into the the main window.

It's not possible.  Or at least, it's not allowed.  Peter would call it a hack (rightly so).

Yeah, I know. I just asked him in the chat room. He won't let anyone come near the source code.

foo_uftS

Reply #30
Well, Windows has ways to do that, without actually hacking the exe.  But it's still a hack, because it's not a proper way to do it.  It causes problems.  In fact, I think someone got banned for doing that (among other things).

foo_uftS

Reply #31
I also agree that the buttons should be placed in the same order as foobar.

And a bug report:
When shuffle is on, pressing the "next" button selects a random track, rather than moving on to the next track in the playlist.  I suppose that this might be intended behavior, but instead, I'd suggest adding a random button (%) instead of breaking the standard (rather, expected) behavior.

Both the button layout and the shuffle/next thing are by design - they are the way that I like them. 

Foobar doesn't have skip back/forward buttons, so I couldn't duplicate its button layout unless I removed those buttons, which I am not going to do.  I think the button layout is logical (more so than Foobar's, IMHO), and not so completely non-standard that it is an impediment to normal use.

As for the shuffle/next decision, it is my opinion that if you have shuffle turned on, the "next" song should be random.  That is how it is with most other audio players, and I don't want to add an 8th control button for random.  Sorry.     

I might consider making the button layout customizable, as well as an option for next vs. random.

foo_uftS

Reply #32
Well, you have room for another button, but that's your call.  I would suggest that the button image (and text) change, at least, to reflect the non-standard behavior.

And if your adamant about not using foobar's button order, I'd suggest that instead of Play, Pause, Stop, you order the buttons as Stop, Pause, Play, which would be more consistent with foobar's buttons.  I've also never used a stereo or cd player which placed the stop button after play and pause (though Winamp uses your button order).

foo_uftS

Reply #33
also in either case, i think transparency would be a good option... maybe a little slider or something?

otherwise i kinda love it.

Thanks for your overwhelmingly positive comment! 

Would you explain what useful purpose is served by transparency in Windows? 

I mean no offence to you, but I have never understood why anyone would want semi-transparent windows.  To me, it just adds confusion - sure, you can see what is behind the window, but you can't interact with it because there is a translucent window on top of what you want to see.  The foo_uftS windows takes up a fraction of the screen at typical modern screen resolutions, so it isn't as though it is monopolizing the screen.  It seems to me that using the Toggle foo_uftS global keyboard shortcut or the windowshade mode would be better solutions.

If there was some supported way for components to read Foobar's preferences, I would consider adding support for tranparency in foo_uftS.

foo_uftS

Reply #34
And if your adamant about not using foobar's button order, I'd suggest that instead of Play, Pause, Stop, you order the buttons as Stop, Pause, Play, which would be more consistent with foobar's buttons.  I've also never used a stereo or cd player which placed the stop button after play and pause (though Winamp uses your button order).

Exactly - like it or not, Winamp is the de facto standard for Windows based audio players.  That is the closest thing to a standard as we have.

No matter how I orientate the buttons, there will be someone who doesn't like it.  When/if I add customizable button locations, you will be able to have any combination of buttons in any order you want (including the Random button).  Then everyone can be satisified.

Edit: In the short term, I am going to add a "hard core Foobar user mode" which will turn off 'random on next' and duplicate Foobar's button layout (including the random button).

foo_uftS

Reply #35
Aero >  Nice job!  I do not know how hard it was to code up this little interface, but it puts a nice polish on fb2k.  Thanks.   
Nov schmoz kapop.

foo_uftS

Reply #36
Aero,your plug-in made foobar easier to use.Thank you.
But still I have tow suggestions for you,please!

1)When I move the volume slider,the volume doesn't turn together.I don't know what position I should move it to.
  Would you please make them work together?I mean the slider and the volume.

2)Could the volume slider be bigger?It's too small to hold.

Finally,sorry for my poor English.It's not my mother language.But you know what I mean,right? 

Thanks in advance!

foo_uftS

Reply #37
Aero,your plug-in made foobar easier to use.Thank you.
But still I have tow suggestions for you,please!

1)When I move the volume slider,the volume doesn't turn together.I don't know what position I should move it to.
  Would you please make them work together?I mean the slider and the volume.

2)Could the volume slider be bigger?It's too small to hold.

Finally,sorry for my poor English.It's not my mother language.But you know what I mean,right? 

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, I think I understand.  You are clicking on the slider and dragging, but the volume doesn't change until you let go of the mouse button?  I can probably do something about that...I guess I almost always use the mouse wheel or the up/down cursor keys to change the volume. 

The next version will have a slightly larger volume control, but I want to keep a clear separatation between the seeker and volume controls, so I don't want to make it too large.  If it is still to small, you can either use a mouse wheel or keyboard to change the volume, or click on the slider bar itself to change the volume without having to grab on to the slider thumb.

foo_uftS

Reply #38
Aero, thanks for a great plug-in. But since I'm Korean and therefore listen to a lot of Korean songs as well as English ones, I found the lack of unicode support quite annoying at times. Everything else is great! Its just that one thing... Will unicode be supported sometime soon?

foo_uftS

Reply #39
Yeah, I think I understand. You are clicking on the slider and dragging, but the volume doesn't change until you let go of the mouse button? I can probably do something about that...I guess I almost always use the mouse wheel or the up/down cursor keys to change the volume.

That's a good idea!
I didn't notice this function until you remind me!
Thx!

foo_uftS

Reply #40
Thanks!  There is no (non-hack/unsupported) way for foo_uftS to read Foobar's preferences, so I can't match what Foobar is doing.

This functionality isn't in the SDK?! That sounds like something that'd be really fundamental.

foo_uftS

Reply #41
Version 1.04 is now available.  This version adds:

* Unicode support.  I tested this with some multibyte character filenames, and everything seems to work ok.  Please report any bugs related to this, and don't forget to drag and drop some files and directories on the foo_uftS dialog to make sure that the drag-n-drop file enqueuing support works with multibyte character filenames and directories.

* Replaced the default button graphics with text labels using the Webdings font (thanks again, /\/ephaestous).  You can still load button graphics from the foo_uftS directory if you wish (see the readme file), but for most people the Webdings buttons will look better.

* The dialog is a little smaller and the volume slider is a little bigger.

foo_uftS

Reply #42
   1.04  can`t support chinese character  555555~~~

foo_uftS

Reply #43

Doesn't work with unicode. The title should be "Hyvää yötä ja huomenta"...
BTW, even though the readme says it's 1.04, foobar prefs -> componens says its 1.03. Maybe you haven't changed the number there, or you put the wrong dll in the zip?

foo_uftS

Reply #44
BTW, even though the readme says it's 1.04, foobar prefs -> componens says its 1.03. Maybe you haven't changed the number there, or you put the wrong dll in the zip?

Try downloading it again - I must have accidently included an old version of foo_ufts.dll...

foo_uftS

Reply #45
Yeah, works now. Thanks

foo_uftS

Reply #46
great...  it works with chinese character now .thank u .

foo_uftS

Reply #47
small problem : when using mousewheel or keyboard to set the volume, you can go lower than 0.... which means you have to press up or turn mousewheel a few times to reach 0 before you can actually make the volume higher.

edit : I forgot to say it but : nice work 

edit 2 : okay, someone just explained me how things work, you the volume bar only goes as low as -40 dB, but you can go lower using keyboard or mousewheel, so it's okay, rather logical once you understand how it works 

foo_uftS

Reply #48
yeah ... just wanted to say that this version doesn't work with win9x versions, like you expected.  any hope of doing dual ansi/unicode compiles?  thanks for a great ui though (and i'm thoroughly enjoying one of the older ansi compiles  )

foo_uftS

Reply #49
Thanks for adding unicode support! So far, I find this plug-in to be the most useful of all plug-ins.
A small issue though. If I delete the folder that has the buttons in it, the bottons now display as numbers, semi-colon, and other stuff. This is only when I have windows blinds enabled though. When I unload windows blinds and go back to the defaul windows classic theme provided with XP, the buttons show the right symbols. What could be the issue here?

I guess this problem doesn't REALLY have to be addressed, since I can fix it simply by using images as buttons. I just thought you might be interested....

EDIT: I found another little glitch. On the title line (i.e. the line of text above the file name and directory), when it should say, for example, "Funkmaster Flex - Ludacris & Infamous 20 - Block Lockdown" (that is what it says on the title bar as well as in the playlist screen in foobar main window), the title line says "Funkmaster Flex - Ludacris _Infamous 20 - Block Lockdown".