Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What codecs should be featured besides Nero/iTunes/FAAC?

Compaact and Winamp
[ 57 ] (38%)
Compaact and NCTU
[ 19 ] (12.7%)
Winamp and NCTU
[ 4 ] (2.7%)
Real and Compaact
[ 11 ] (7.3%)
Real and Winamp
[ 42 ] (28%)
Real and NCTU
[ 13 ] (8.7%)
Other? (please post)
[ 4 ] (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Topic: Choice of AAC codecs for listening test (Read 28569 times) previous topic - next topic

Choice of AAC codecs for listening test

Reply #25
We had a problem with a troll registering lots of fake accounts and voting certain choice in this poll. One of the examples is here.
Maybe Roberto should consider starting the poll again in order to get valid results.

I just want to make clear that I am not associated with that brucewillis, and I do not know who he is. Of course I would like to see compaact! in the listening test, but not with such votes.
I would be very sorry if you would associate such users with compaact!.

Best regards,
Alexander

Reply #26
I just want to make clear that I am not associated with that brucewillis, and I do not know who he is. Of course I would like to see compaact! in the listening test, but not with such votes.
I would be very sorry if you would associate such users with compaact!.

Best regards,
Alexander

Don't worry Alexander. I know you are not associated with him. Unfortunately it seems this person comes from my home country (Finland) and we have had trouble with him earlier already.. 

My opinion here is that Compaact and Real should be included. Another option imo is to think what bond and tigre suggested. No anchor and include Compaact, Real and Winamp.
I think we should give credit that developers from zPlane and Real attend to the community discussions, so that should be counted as positive thing when deciding this.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #27
what tigre suggested

I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

Reply #28
My opinion here is that Compaact and Real should be included. Another option imo is to think what bond and tigre suggested. No anchor and include Compaact, Real and Winamp.
I think we should give credit that developers from zPlane and Real attend to the community discussions, so that should be counted as positive thing when deciding this.

second that

Reply #29
what tigre suggested

its probably related to my total ignorance on this, but, why is it an anchor needed? i mean, on the soccer (futbol) world championship, you don't include a bad team just to prove the others are good ... i agree with tigre ... and LAME -APS could be the one

Reply #30
Edit. This kind of behaviour makes me think that maybe there should be encryption used when saving results from ABC/HR.
Seems that zealotry could be a problem here.

The "problem user" we have is clearly working to improve compaact!'s public rating (known most popular nicks: Azo-999, Mathias_M). Their employee perhaps ? If we include compaact!, he will most likely try to send fake results, maybe we should exclude it. Compaact!'s rating in this poll is clearly his deed (at least 8 votes sent from his accounts today, I didn't bother removing them).
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #31
Their employee perhaps ? If we include compaact!, he will most likely try to send fake results, maybe we should exclude it.

Pretty serious accusation, especially since Alexander just tried to disassociate himself with such users.  Pretty serious 'resolution' as well.. perhaps you work for Real?

Reply #32
About this Winamp issue:

It is not clipping.

And the error is bandlimited between 5 kHz and 15 kHz, this is why I thought it would be something with TNS.

Menno

Reply #33
Their employee perhaps ?

Do you know how "big" zplane is?
I repeat what I have posted:
I can assure that nobody from zplane is this user and that I don't know who he is and who he might be.

If you want to remove his votes do it. If you want to start a new poll do it. If you want to exclude compaact! a priori, well, that seems a bit unfair.

Regards,
Alexander

P.S.: If you believe that I am behind this user, please remove my account also.

Reply #34

No need for dramas here, I think

Since the test was planned to be open for everyone, the problem is that brucewillis probably will send several manipulated test results biased towards Compaact.  Excluding Compaact would be a working sollution for this, but surely a bad one. Do you have a better suggestion how to avoid this kind of manipulation? If one of ABC/HR developers adds encryption, that's fine, but we can't expect it - so we need to look for other ideas.

Mine: Limit the test to hydrogenaudio users that have a certain post count or have been member for a certain time. I don't know how many people who are not HA members participated in rjamorim's last tests - very few, I assume. <- Rjamorim?
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #35
Their employee perhaps ?

Do you know how "big" zplane is?
I repeat what I have posted:
I can assure that nobody from zplane is this user and that I don't know who he is and who he might be.

If you want to remove his votes do it. If you want to start a new poll do it. If you want to exclude compaact! a priori, well, that seems a bit unfair.

Regards,
Alexander

zPlane has nothing to do with this troll, period. I'm absolutely sure about that.

Zealots are zealots: they don't usually work for the company they support, but they become zealots anyway..
Peter went too far by suggesting otherwise.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #36
I don't personally care which codecs are included in the test as long as results are interesting. I would probably prefer compaact! included in it than e.g. NCTU which has widely known issues.
It's just that banning some loser 10 times a day gets somewhat tiring, and I don't want such people to interrupt the test - which he will most certainly do if we allow him to.
I suppose this poll could be reset, now that he can't register new accounts anymore.
If you are sure that you have nothing to do with this person then please disregard my original statement.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #37
If one of ABC/HR developers adds encryption, that's fine, but we can't expect it - so we need to look for other ideas.

Maybe schnofler can add encryption to Java ABC/HR. I got the impression that ff123 isn't so enthusiastic to edit his version anymore, but I think it is apparent that we will need encryption in the future.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #38
If one of ABC/HR developers adds encryption, that's fine, but we can't expect it

It's already there, dude

Java ABC-HR supports encryption.

Anyway, the outcome of this whole enchilada: (I hope I can please everyone with this)

-The codecs tested will be Compaact! and Real
-NCTU will serve as anchor (and God help it doesn't become another Xing)
-The test will be encrypted

Thank-you very much for those that voted without screwing the system.

Please continue discussion at the original thread. (including discussion of this post)
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....topic=18474&hl=

Best regards;

Roberto.