Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows Phone / Windows 10 Opus Support (Read 8284 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows Phone / Windows 10 Opus Support

I'm thinking about purchasing a Lumia smart phone, running WP8.1 respectively WP10 after an upgrade.

I'm planning to switch from Android 5, where I use the great GoneMAD player with built-in opus audio support. I couldn't find any information about Opus audio support in Windows 10 (seems like there is none), and I would like to know if there are audio player apps for Windows Phone with opus audio support.

If not, is at least ogg vorbis supported?

Reply #2
Don't waste your money on any current WP8.1 handsets, while they can be upgraded to WP10 the new WP10 handsets should be far better spec'ed. With the way MS has been going with WP app updates, especially with the music player you'll be waiting a few more years for any real audio format support.

I have a Lumina 930 (WP8.1) and built in music app still doesn't support gapless playback (I last checked 2-3 months ago).

It's becoming a bit of a joke to be honest.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #3
If not, is at least ogg vorbis supported?

Not out of the box like Android, but there are some third-party apps that support Vorbis.
I use BRadio on WP 8.1 to listen to live Vorbis radio streams.

Reply #5
Really recommend waiting at least a year for a win10 phone, I love win10 on desktop but the phones i have used have convinced me that win10 though alot better then 8.x, is still not really ready for the average enthusist to jump on.

i also have read that a few x86-64 based phones are in the works that will be able to run normal desktop win10 and apps, that may be a better option once/if they actually launch.

for now, i REALLY recommend sticking to android as, at least in my exp, ogg and opus are both supported, and with neutron neon, i can listen for DAYS at a time on my note3 with zero lemon 10,000mAh battery without running out of power.

windows phones in some cases are nice but, for the most part....its just not a platform with alot of really good 3rd party software......why my father returned his and got a last gen iphone as, for his needs, apps where easily found on itunes....

for myself, and my mother(who came from an ip4s) android has been the better option though she tried my fathers win8.1 phone and wasnt happy either....she ended up with a note4 and has been happy with it so far.

not please dont think im saying windows phones are horrible, i just think you are better off waiting for devices that came with 10 and if possible ones that can run desktop apps.

btw, VLC also works well on android now in my exp.... though neutron is well worth the price IMHO...even if you gotta download the neon version of the player from their website rather then app store

Reply #6
Thanks for all your replies.

My quick search in the windows phone app store more or less confirms what you're saying. Under the top 20 downloaded audio/multimedia apps,about 15 are something like "MP3 Downloader", each app looking like garbage. Seems like there is even much more app garbage than in the google play store. And some of my most favorite android apps are missing. I found one or two audio players, but no reviews for these. What a pity that we can't simply add support for open and free codecs by a software upgrade / installer.

OT:
The reason why I want to leave android is that stagefright was the straw that broke the camel's back. There's no CM for my phone, and there will be no stagefright or other security fixes and patches, so I have a totally vulnerable phone. Another option would be to either buy a Nexus phone or a OnePlus, which are updated quite frequently. However both are too expensive (and they have no exchangable battery, a nogo). Iphones are nice too, however no exchangable battery and no SD-card slot. As I need >=64GB space, they're also too expensive. I was hoping for a Lumia 640 LTE to be a nice alternative; ~150$, exchangable battery, sdcard slot and windows updates on a regular basis. Aw   

Reply #7
I would also wait for Windows 10 Mobile phones. The current WP 8.1 phones when upgraded to WP 10.0 won't support Windows Continuum which would allow you to turn your phone into a slow PC

Reply #8
The reason why I want to leave android is that stagefright was the straw that broke the camel's back. There's no CM for my phone, and there will be no stagefright or other security fixes and patches, so I have a totally vulnerable phone. Another option would be to either buy a Nexus phone or a OnePlus, which are updated quite frequently. However both are too expensive (and they have no exchangable battery, a nogo). Iphones are nice too, however no exchangable battery and no SD-card slot. As I need >=64GB space, they're also too expensive. I was hoping for a Lumia 640 LTE to be a nice alternative; ~150$, exchangable battery, sdcard slot and windows updates on a regular basis. Aw

my suggestion

Samsung Galaxy Note 3+64 or 128gb card+hyperion 9600mAh battery+case

the big + for the samsung galaxy line is, Odin allowing you to flash whatever rom you like, been told the note2 even has android 5 now....

just a suggestion, I can feel you with phones that got shit support though, my father and a few family friends have gotten phones that got horrible rom support.....and couldnt easily be flashed or romed in any way.....

samsung, its SOOO easy.....Odin!!!

the extended battery i have is ZeroLemon(the hyperion case is nicer and its a good bit cheaper with 2 year warr rather then 180days...) i can use Neutron Media Player (neon edition) to listen to music/audiobooks for DAYS on headphones/iem's/speaker and even bluetooth speaker and play games/apps and still not go dead...i used it for 10hrs after it said zero%...games/browsing....seeing how long it would last...
http://www.amazon.com/Hyperion-Compatible-...xtended+battery

^^^ makes the phone a "brick" but honestly, its easier to hold and type/brows on with the added bulk, even my mother with her note4+zero lemon battery/case says the same, infact that was her first comment!!!

just a suggestion, as you can get the note3 for 99bucks certified preowned from most carriers these days(with contract) and, i spent months researching....its the best supported option in its price range, has the most choices for extended batteries/cases, and, because its a samsung note it was "over spec" when it was launched when compared to most other phones, the note3 is in some ways better then the 4, like its USB3.0 suport, and dual radios(can make calls and use net at same time even on 3g) anyway, oh and its tested/rated battery life for audio listening is longer then the 4....having used both, theres ZERO reason to spend the extra on the 4.

there are other options but, Odin makes flashing so easy, and, samsung gets alot of support from their enthusiast communities the note2 has andoid 5.....
https://www.androidpit.com/android-5-0-loll...one-update-news

also been reading samsung may give the n3 more updates(i mentioned the 2 because it shows samsung actually do support their products AND that the community supports them as well(there have been android5 roms out there for a while for the n2)

anyway thats just my suggestion, and i really do get why you are frustrated.....its why alot of us would like google to require all devices be held to a set of specs that would allow them to run vanilla android updates....

android is the worst platform out there, except for every other platform out there 

Reply #10

Moto G/E?  Its about the price you mentioned, name brand product with regular updates, SD card slot, much faster processor than the 640, and it has actual apps.

Reply #11
I play my Opus files with "VLC for Windows Phone" v1.3.3.7 from the Store, and like very much the look and feel of this app - I am a sucker for "album cover views" in general. Only thing annoying right now is that .opus files for some reason cannot be played "in the background" for the rare occasions one do other things on the phone while enjoying some audio, but this should be fixed in the future I guess.

This phone is Nokia Lumia 630 Dual Sim, running "WP 8.1 Update" (as it says in the settings/about).

Edit: Changed phone model.