Skip to main content

Notice

Please be aware that much of the software linked to or mentioned on this forum is niche and therefore infrequently downloaded. Lots of anti-virus scanners and so-called malware detectors like to flag infrequently downloaded software as bad until it is either downloaded enough times, or its developer actually bothers with getting each individual release allow listed by every single AV vendor. You can do many people a great favor when encountering such a "problem" example by submitting them to your AV vendor for examination. For almost everything on this forum, it is a false positive.
Topic: my existing mp3 display rubbish chars in win 7 (Read 4139 times) previous topic - next topic

my existing mp3 display rubbish chars in win 7

When I was using Windows XP, I tagged  my mp3 with foobar2000 internal id3 tagging. All chinese and japanese tagging display properly in Windows XP.

However, I switched to windows 7 English, all tagging display improperly - rubbish chars.

Under windows xp

Under Win 7

What's wrong with it ?

Reply #1
Just a wild guess here: looks like Segoe UI doesn't have a chinese/japanese support. You should change the font in your album list with something more appropriate.

Reply #2
Arial Unicode MS that installs with Office 2007 is one of the best.

If you had Office installed on your previous build, that is probably why it was working fine before.

you can look in c:\windows\fonts and sort by size or "designed for" to pick a more suitable font.

in the past, i've found this site helpful:
Font Support for Unicode Characters

here's how i have my Default UI setup:

Reply #3
does the arial unicode ms font of xp be used on win7 ?

Reply #5
If it was a font issue the user would see boxes in place of wrong symbols. I suspect the files do not have Unicode tags and he had changed his system to default to some asian language for non-unicode apps in XP. This component should help.

Reply #6
If it was a font issue the user would see boxes in place of wrong symbols. I suspect the files do not have Unicode tags and he had changed his system to default to some asian language for non-unicode apps in XP. This component should help.

just downloaded this component
But it show me that my mp3 tag is unicode already

Reply #7
What happens if you rewrite tags in XP for one of the files and try that same file then on your Windows 7 machine?

Reply #8
What happens if you rewrite tags in XP for one of the files and try that same file then on your Windows 7 machine?

I'll rewrite tags for some of files later.

But I let all you know, those mp3's tag are showing properly in itunes of Mac OS X.

Reply #9
Try e.g. http://flying.guy.chez-alice.fr/Axone.jar to see what kind of tag the MP3 files really have and in what encoding.
Might be UTF-8 stored in ISO8859-1 frame or ID3v1 or something, when I see "[ ] Convert to local codepage first" unchecked.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #10
Try e.g. http://flying.guy.chez-alice.fr/Axone.jar to see what kind of tag the MP3 files really have and in what encoding.
Might be UTF-8 stored in ISO8859-1 frame or ID3v1 or something, when I see "[ ] Convert to local codepage first" unchecked.

most id3 is v2.3 and some of them is v2.4
and files are mixture of UTF-8 and UTF-16

Reply #11
I figured out the problem finally. 

Most of the mp3s have id3v1 tag too and foobar read v1 tag by default.

Reply #12
It reads the longer tag by default if both id3v1 and id3v2 are present.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021