Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: move currently playing file (Read 2672 times) previous topic - next topic

move currently playing file

i just started using foobar and i REALLY prefer it to my old music player.  i download a lot of music, and i have one big folder that i place all the files i want to keep (called "waardevol").  i used to have a shortcut on winamp that i could press ctrl+; and it would move the file that i am listening to into my waardevol folder, and then proceed to next song.  if i try to use the context/now playing - file operations - move to.. command, it says that the file is currently being used so it cannot be moved.  i prefer not to use the "copy" command, because i only want to go through the new music folder once, and delete the ones i don't like, and move to my save folder the ones i do like.  i found it is possible to delete a currently playing song using the foo_DeleteCurrent.dll, so that's halfway there.  anyone know if "move currently playing" is possible?

Reply #1
As far as I am aware, that is not possible. You will have to stop playback in order to move the file using the "File operations" dialog.

I however would welcome the ability to modify (e.g. move, but more particularly rename) the currently playing track in foobar, I'm sure it can't be that difficult to do.

Reply #2
too bad, there are a lot of features about foobar i really liked.  i guess it's back to winamp then

Reply #4
Maybe winamp just copies that song and deletes the original one after playing it?
fb2k on OSX: flac q8 > rockboxed Sansa e280v1: Vorbis q5.0

Reply #5
Preferences > Advanced > Playback > Full file buffering up to: 20000 (Or anything higher than the size of the file you want to move, in kbyte).

That will buffer your file and you can move while you're playing the file as it's in the memory.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #6
i think perhaps i am making this sound harder than it needs to be.  i download a lot of new music, and as i go through each song, i want to either keep it or delete it, but i only want to go through the new music once.  once i decide that i want to keep a song i press a button, and the song is moved to the "keep" folder and immediately move onto playing the next song in the playlist.  if i don't like a song, i press another button, and it deletes it, and move on to the next song.  honestly, i hate winamp because it uses waaaaay to much computer resources to just play a song, but using the "playlist file remover" plugin, i can keep or delete a file with just a single global command.  foobar seems to be a much better music player, with a lot more possibilities for customization, without using all the resources.

thanks for all the input everyone!

Reply #7
I'd also welcome such a functionality. Sometimes I can't even modify tags (using foobar) in file while it's playing (in foobar, but it's not marked as %is_playing%). Anyhow - I've run recently to some strange yet very interesting feature (probably of windows). If I open an avi file (using media player classic and ffdshow) the file is locked and I can't do anything with it (i.e. move, rename, etc.) but if the file in question is wmv (opened with the same set of software, but it seems to work with other players) I'm able to move it to another location while playing and it has nothing to do with buffers because I can seek in that file to any point. Don't know how it works but it's brilliant.