Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Universal and Custom IEM information sources? (Read 4132 times) previous topic - next topic

Universal and Custom IEM information sources?

Hello,

After almost twelve years of service, I will replace my Westone UM2 IEMs.

I am hesitating between universal and custom IEMs and found contradictory information about comfort (understandable), isolation and sound quality.

Moreover, when it comes to choose a specific model I struggle to find reliable information among audiophiles digressions.
I red several posts on Chin Roi blog (http://rinchoi.blogspot.fr) but unfortunately he left the place three years ago and the specific model I am looking information about were not reviewed.

May you have reliable information sources about UIEM/CIEM to suggest?

Merci!

Fred

Re: Universal and Custom IEM information sources?

Reply #1
the specific model I am looking information about were not reviewed.
May you have reliable information sources about UIEM/CIEM to suggest?

About all IEM/CIEM available in the world ?
You should mention the "specific model" IMHO

Reply #2
Hello!

Sorry for the lack of precision.

I am looking for:
  • General information about pros and cons of CIEM vs. UIEM.
  • CIEM and UIEM reviews not performed by some audiophile charlatan.

Regarding [1], I am interested in some specific areas:
Sound isolation is very important to me because I suffer from tinnitus. Therefore, I want to keep listening volume as low as possible, including in noisy environments (ex.: in the subway, in a train, etc.). In addition, in quieter environments (ex. : at home, at the library, etc.) I enjoy not being disturb by external noises.
As for the information I found:
  • There is a consensus that silicon CIEM provides better sound isolation than acrylic CIEM, which makes sense: silicon CIEM are completely filled while most acrylic CIEM use an hollow shell, silicon is softer and may accommodante slight shape variations thus provide a better seal. Unfortunately, silicon CIEM seem to have a lot of drawbacks: less model choice, lower durability, size constraints, maybe impossible to re-shell (?), etc.
  • When it comes to compare UIEM and CIEM sound isolation, I found completely contradictory information! Some claim that CIEM sound isolation is far better, while other claim the opposite. I do understand that a lot of parameters comes into play (tips used for UIEM, insertion depth, material, presence (or not) of a vent, etc.). However, I struggled to find data that would give, at least, rough trends. I am looking for that!
Sound quality is also very important to me.
As a long term UIEM user, I noticed that:
  • Quality of seal as a tremendous impact on bass response. With UIEM, I usually get the best seal with double/triple flange silicon tips or with foam tips. I do prefer the latter for their comfort. I noticed that my ear canal shape was varying quite a lot when moving my jaw. It seems normal, but to what extent depends - I guess - a lot on individuals. Thus, I was wondering to what extend it could be a problem for me with CIEM (I'll try to discuss that with an audiologist, to check if my ear canal are particularly varying in shape compared to the average individual...). User feedback maybe helpful.
  • With UIEM, insertion depth seems to have an impact on high frequency response. I recently read that this may be due to some resonance in the ear canal and that inserting and that modifying IEM insertion depth, thus cavity length and resonant frequency. I was wondering how CIEM manufacturers were managing this issue...and it seems they simply don't! I am looking for more information about that. (Good point with CIEM being that you might get a consistent insertion depth, bad point being that you cannot adjust it.)

Regarding [2], I found a lot of audiophile reviews where facts are mixed with complete non-sense.
On the other hand, we have Chin Roi measurements which provide very interesting material, but they are not easy to understand for the layman (IMHO information about how these measurements impact listening experience are lacking)...and this fellow stopped publishing in 2014, thus most models I am considering are not reviewed. :(
As for a model short list, nothing is fixed.
Regarding UIEM, I gave a try to Orivety New Primacy (ONP) hybrids (dynamic driver for bass and dual balanced armature for mids/highs). I found them convincing sound-wise, but I had to return them due to comfort issue (my left ear canal as a different slope than the right one and combined with ONP connector implémentation it caused the IEM not to stay correctly in place, no matter the tips used). In addition, isolation was just barely okay. I was also considering second hand Shure SE846 and Westone W60 (these fellows are very expensive but re-sell value is pretty stable in case I don't like them and I have an excellent customer experience with my previous Westome UIEM which lasted 12 years, making the cost of use more acceptable...although nothing guarantee the new ones will last so long !). I also have less expensive options in mind, like the FLC8S (hybrids).
Regarding CIEM, I was considering several options, including AAW because they propose hybrid CIEM and I was curious how to see how they perform after having tried the ONP which were pretty convincing.
But nothing is fixed since I had to rely on those audiophile websites to make my short list...so on unreliable data!

Please take into account that I will use those something like 40 to 50hours per week, in both noisy and very quiet environment.
They are, by far, the listening device I use most...so I pay quite a lot of attention to them.

regards,

Fred

Reply #3
Hello!

I am looking for:

Sound isolation is very important to me because I suffer from tinnitus. Therefore, I want to keep listening volume as low as possible, including in noisy environments (ex.: in the subway, in a train, etc.). In addition, in quieter environments (ex. : at home, at the library, etc.) I enjoy not being disturb by external noises.
  • There is a consensus that silicon CIEM provides better sound isolation than acrylic CIEM, which makes sense: silicon CIEM are completely filled while most acrylic CIEM use an hollow shell, silicon is softer and may accommodante slight shape variations thus provide a better seal. Unfortunately, silicon CIEM seem to have a lot of drawbacks: less model choice, lower durability, size constraints, maybe impossible to re-shell (?), etc.
  • When it comes to compare UIEM and CIEM sound isolation, I found completely contradictory information! Some claim that CIEM sound isolation is far better, while other claim the opposite. I do understand that a lot of parameters comes into play (tips used for UIEM, insertion depth, material, presence (or not) of a vent, etc.). However, I struggled to find data that would give, at least, rough trends. I am looking for that!
  • Quality of seal as a tremendous impact on bass response. With UIEM, I usually get the best seal with double/triple flange silicon tips or with foam tips. I do prefer the latter for their comfort. I noticed that my ear canal shape was varying quite a lot when moving my jaw. It seems normal, but to what extent depends - I guess - a lot on individuals. Thus, I was wondering to what extend it could be a problem for me with CIEM (I'll try to discuss that with an audiologist, to check if my ear canal are particularly varying in shape compared to the average individual...). User feedback maybe helpful.
  • With UIEM, insertion depth seems to have an impact on high frequency response. I recently read that this may be due to some resonance in the ear canal and that inserting and that modifying IEM insertion depth, thus cavity length and resonant frequency. I was wondering how CIEM manufacturers were managing this issue...and it seems they simply don't! I am looking for more information about that. (Good point with CIEM being that you might get a consistent insertion depth, bad point being that you cannot adjust it.)

Regarding [2], I found a lot of audiophile reviews where facts are mixed with complete non-sense.
On the other hand, we have Chin Roi measurements which provide very interesting material, but they are not easy to understand for the layman (IMHO information about how these measurements impact listening experience are lacking)...and this fellow stopped publishing in 2014, thus most models I am considering are not reviewed. :(
Regarding UIEM, I gave a try to Orivety New Primacy (ONP) hybrids (dynamic driver for bass and dual balanced armature for mids/highs). I found them convincing sound-wise, but I had to return them due to comfort issue (my left ear canal as a different slope than the right one and combined with ONP connector implémentation it caused the IEM not to stay correctly in place, no matter the tips used). In addition, isolation was just barely okay. I was also considering second hand Shure SE846 and Westone W60 (these fellows are very expensive but re-sell value is pretty stable in case I don't like them and I have an excellent customer experience with my previous Westome UIEM which lasted 12 years, making the cost of use more acceptable...although nothing guarantee the new ones will last so long !). I also have less expensive options in mind, like the FLC8S (hybrids).
Regarding CIEM, I was considering several options, including AAW because they propose hybrid CIEM and I was curious how to see how they perform after having tried the ONP which were pretty convincing.
But nothing is fixed since I had to rely on those audiophile websites to make my short list...so on unreliable data!

Please take into account that I will use those something like 40 to 50hours per week, in both noisy and very quiet environment.
They are, by far, the listening device I use most...so I pay quite a lot of attention to them.
regards,
Fred

If you are chasing comfort and isolation you shoud go to the audiologist and make several molds with different materials, insertion deepness and concha shapes... and test by yourself what is good for you.

For the UIEM insertion depth issue, you should look at the transfer functions of the 2cc coupler, the 1.26cc standard IEC711 coupler and its diferent adapters (exemple : IEC60318-4 (711) coupler with DB2012 adapter G.R.A.S. 43BA-2, the residual volume is 0.4cc ) and some of the measurements procedures and make your own conclusions.

Reply #4
Maybe Etymotic ( https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/er4.html )
They isolate pretty good, at least good enough for me to listen to chamber music on the train and occasional plane.
Comfort, let say I got used to them :)
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #5
I have a pair of Westone UM Pro 30, I do like them, so far happy with the standard foam but previously had silicone custom molds done for my UM-2s and they were excellent....but I lost one, doh!! I'll get another pair when I can afford it. Don't go for vinyl, it's hard and it hurts your ears after a while.

Reply #6
Hello!

I am looking for:

regards,
Fred

If you are chasing comfort and isolation you shoud go to the audiologist and make several molds with different materials, insertion deepness and concha shapes... and test by yourself what is good for you.

For the UIEM insertion depth issue, you should look at the transfer functions of the 2cc coupler, the 1.26cc standard IEC711 coupler and its diferent adapters (exemple : IEC60318-4 (711) coupler with DB2012 adapter G.R.A.S. 43BA-2, the residual volume is 0.4cc ) and some of the measurements procedures and make your own conclusions.

I am not sure any manufacturer would be okay to provide me with several "dummy shells" to play with them.
Plus I guess bore length is part of the design and CIEM manufacturer will not be okay to modify it on demand...

As for influence of insertion depth, I will take a look. Thanks!

Reply #7
Maybe Etymotic ( https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/er4.html )
They isolate pretty good, at least good enough for me to listen to chamber music on the train and occasional plane.
Comfort, let say I got used to them :)

Hello!

I used to have Etymotic ER-6i many, many, years ago.

ER-6i were supposed to be ER-6 with an higher sensitivity and a slight bass boost (just like ER-4PT for ER-4S).
While ER-6 themselves were supposed to be a cheaper alternative to ER-4S, with the same target frequency response (diffuse field target). I guess Etymotic was using the same 'trick' as for ER-4S for ER-6 (adding a resistor to the cable to 'tune' the frequency response and use the BA underdamped).

As far as I remember, ER-6i lacked bass and sounded 'bright' (and fatiguing!) with my music player. I also had some 'background hiss'. Cable noise was horrible (until I had something to block the cable in the chin). However:
  • Memory is a dangerous thing!
  • I could not find ER-6i impedance curve, but I suspect impedance to be very frequency-dependent. Combined with my player output impedance and small linking capacitor, this may have affected frequency response.
  • I like a bass boost when listening to music with IEMs (compared to listening with speakers) and at that moment my music player did not offer a decent EQ, nor it could not be 'rockboxed.'
Nowadays, these issues could be corrected easily today by using a simple resistor network (for impedance related issues and 'background hiss') and proper EQ (or going for the XR variant).

Nevertheless, I not convinced by Etymotic approach regarding comfort.
Sometimes I use my IEMs in the bed and since I am lying on the side Ety's are not suitable at all.
Plus it seems that they still have a very noisy cable (to be clear) I'm referring to mechanical noise) that will need to be replaced.

So not my first choice.

Fred

Reply #8
I have a pair of Westone UM Pro 30, I do like them, so far happy with the standard foam but previously had silicone custom molds done for my UM-2s and they were excellent....but I lost one, doh!! I'll get another pair when I can afford it. Don't go for vinyl, it's hard and it hurts your ears after a while.
Hello!

You're referring to custom ear-tips while I am hesitating between Universal IEM and Custom IEM, the latter having a completely custom shell (including the concha).
I don't know how comfort issues with 'vinyl' (acrylic?) ear-tips that your recommandation may suggest translate (or not) with 'fully custom IEM'.

Fred