Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: winamp 2.xx eq question (Read 2589 times) previous topic - next topic

winamp 2.xx eq question

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone can tell me whether my understanding of how the eq functionality in winamp (2.xx) works internally is correct...

From what mishmash I've learned about it here & there so far, my understanding is that it is implemented by each playback plugin (that will support using the eq on the playback media which that plugin plays back, but a playback plugin does not have to implement the functionality to [otherwise] work)?

So...is that basically correct , somewhat correct , slightly correct , or way off , or what? 

thanks a lot!

winamp 2.xx eq question

Reply #1
uuuu...

I think there are these steps

a) data from input plugin
b ) data to generic Winamp EQ (a new better one since win 2.9x, By 4Front Tech.)
c) data to the installed DSP plugins
d) data to the outpu plugin.

there are some INPUT plugins that offer an integrated EQ (Case's mpc plugin, even Nullsofts MP3 plugin).
You can enable/disable the integrated EQ by turning it ON/OFF in the preferences. if turned on, step b ) will be bypassed.

the internal EQ will still use the winamp EQ skin, but this way different music formats will behave differently because of using different EQs.
and the db range can differ. so if the winamp skin tells +-12 db, that doesn't necessarily apply if a plugin specific EQ is activated.  despite the label it can be +- 20 db.

winamp 2.xx eq question

Reply #2
thanks for the feedback, i guess that makes sense from what i've seen happening, except that i haven't seen any winamp version prior to 2.9x that will do eq when the playback plugin does not do it. but i have noticed that 2.9x does.

anyway, the reason i was asking is this...
i've been using the mad mp3 input plugin for a while (i think the quality is a lot better than the standard winamp mp3 input plugin) and have, prior to 2.9x, not been able to get a mp3 eq'd when mad decodes it.

but, when i tried mad with a few different 2.9x versions, i found that 2.9x will detect the mad playback plugin fine, and it will say that the plugin is enabled in the config for the plugin, but then when you go to play a mp3, winamp plays it with the standard mp3 input plugin instead anyways

but, i found that if you delete the standard mp3 input plugin from a 2.9x install, or replace it with the standard mp3 input plugin from the last winamp version that seems to work fine with mad (ie the sec. patched 2.81 release, aka 2.81b) then winamp 2.9x will playback mp3s with the mad plugin. and...what makes doing that tinkering worth it, if you prefer/like the sound of the mad input plugin anyhow, is that because of the new? way 2.9x does, or is capable of doing anyhow, eq implementation... is that 2.9x will now decode mp3s with mad and then apply eq functionality to them before playback...

maybe achieving this was possible with mad in winamp at some previous time / some previous way, some previous version(s), i don't know for sure, all i know is, i've never seen it happen until now, so i thought ppl would like to know

winamp 2.xx eq question

Reply #3
for those who want to look at it, the mad mp3 input plugin for winamp 2.xx is here:
MAD Plugin