Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack question (Read 10209 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack question

I am a newbie and this is probably a very stupid question, but I've looked around, searched the forums, and can't quite find the information I want.

How do I add tags to my wv file? I don't see a command line option for adding tags. I was hoping to see something similar to flac's -V "name=value" which I can pass directly on the commandline during encoding...

Thanks.

WavPack question

Reply #1
I believe this functionality exists in the 4.2b3 encoder (and maybe earlier), with the use of the -w switch.

Code: [Select]
-w "Field=Value" = write specified metadata to APEv2 tag

Also, you can specify "Field=@Value" to have the contents of the filename specified as Value written to the tag.  For example, -w "CUESHEET=@cuesheet.cue"

WavPack question

Reply #3
Using Tag&Rename to add tags
It's My Life,
It's Now Or Never,
I Ain't Gonna Live Forever,
I Just Want To Live While I'm Alive.

WavPack question

Reply #4
Erased my previous useless post. I was not aware of the commandline tagging with the new Wavpack beta. My apologies 

WavPack question

Reply #5
I believe this functionality exists in the 4.2b3 encoder (and maybe earlier), with the use of the -w switch.

Does foobar2000 by default shows the tags? I downloaded the beta and used

-w "ARTIST=artist" -w "ALBUM=test album"

but I don't see anything in foobar... btw, does it matter which keyword I use?

Artist
artist
ARTIST

Thanks.

WavPack question

Reply #6

Does foobar2000 by default shows the tags? I downloaded the beta and used

-w "ARTIST=artist" -w "ALBUM=test album"

but I don't see anything in foobar... btw, does it matter which keyword I use?

Artist
artist
ARTIST

Thanks.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Make sure you "reload information from file" in foobar, otherwise it will use what's in its database. Here's a post about the new tags feature:

[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=27571&view=findpost&p=251282]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=251282[/url]

I'm not exactly sure if there is a standard for case in APEv2 tags. I just copied the fields that foobar used. 

WavPack question

Reply #7
Thank you Bryant for creating this wonderful program! I've gotten it to work under CDex now with the tagging option and its great.

One small problem I encountered while using "encode on the fly" option with CDEX. After CDex finishes sending the stream to wavpack, it returns with "the system cannot find the file specified" error, and somehow the output file disappears. Similar setting works for flac. If I don't use encode on the fly, it works. But it would be really nice to get encode on the fly to work as the CD drive doesn't spin up and down for every song.

Here are the details:

CDEX command line for wavpack.exe

-w Artist="%a" -w Album="%b" -w Title="%t" -w TrackNumber="%tn" -w Date="%y" -w Genre="%g" - %2

"Send WAV header to stdin" and "On the fly encoding" is both checked.

During ripping, wavpack shows "creating .....\temp.wv, ... 0% done..."

Problem is, when CDex finishes sending the wav file on stdin, the dos window disppears and CDex immediately displays "system cannot find the file specified". If I go to the target directory, even the temp.wv file is no longer there.

My gut feeling tells me it has something to do with the way CDex renames the output file that conflicts with the way wavpack writes the output file. Is wavpack closing the input too fast? I will try EAC tomorrow to see if I have the same problem or not...

WavPack question

Reply #8
This line work with EAC & WavPack 4.2beta3 (Player: foobar2000)

In EAC External Compression options, set these values
- Parameter passing scheme: User defined encoder
- Use file extension: .wv
- Program used for compression: -->your path to-->\wavpack.exe
- Command line:

for WavPack Lossless:
-h -m -w "Artist=%a" -w "Title=%t" -w "Album=%g" -w "Date=%y" -w "Track=%n" -w "Genre=%m" -w "Comment=Exact Audio Copy & WavPack 4.2b3" %s %d

for WavPack Hybrid Lossless:
-m -hb256 -c %s %d %o -w "Artist=%a" -w "Title=%t" -w "Album=%g" -w "Date=%y" -w "Track=%n" -w "Genre=%m" -w "Comment=Exact Audio Copy & WavPack 4.2b3"

for WavPack CDImage*:
-w "CUESHEET=@CDImage.wv.cue" -w "Date=%y" -w "Genre=%m" -w "Comment=Exact Audio Copy & WavPack 4.2b3" %s %d

*EAC: Action --> Copy Image & Create CUE Sheet --> Compressed...
Save in: Folder where is wavpack.exe (why ?)
File name: CDImage

WavPack question

Reply #9
Thank you for this Pop! For some reason I couldn't get the new coding to work. I was using the wapet.exe and -t version and it worked fine. I like this better.

Thanks again
Jim

WavPack question

Reply #10
I was very pleased when tagging was added. I didn't like using wapet.
BTW, I see people using command lines like -h -m etc.  I've found you can simplify it a bit.  I use -hx2m and it works great.
@bryant: Any updates on when the 4.2 final will be released?

WavPack question

Reply #11
for WavPack CDImage*:
-w "CUESHEET=@CDImage.wv.cue" -w "Date=%y" -w "Genre=%m" -w "Comment=Exact Audio Copy & WavPack 4.2b3" %s %d

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=285159"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

so are you saying you have to save the image in the same directory you have wavepack.exe?  do you know of a way to have eac create and save the image in a artist/album type subdirectory system?
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.

WavPack question

Reply #12
Thank you for this Pop! For some reason I couldn't get the new coding to work. I was using the wapet.exe and -t version and it worked fine. I like this better.

Download latest beta: http://www.wavpack.com/wp42b3.zip

for WavPack CDImage*:

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=285159"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

so are you saying you have to save the image in the same directory you have wavepack.exe?  do you know of a way to have eac create and save the image in a artist/album type subdirectory system?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=285228"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, problem is how (where) wavpack.exe handle EAC temp.wav and CUE files.
Simpe put wavpack.exe on C:\ and artist/album folder system create manual after compression finish

WavPack question

Reply #13
Thank you Bryant for creating this wonderful program! I've gotten it to work under CDex now with the tagging option and its great.

One small problem I encountered while using "encode on the fly" option with CDEX. After CDex finishes sending the stream to wavpack, it returns with "the system cannot find the file specified" error, and somehow the output file disappears. Similar setting works for flac. If I don't use encode on the fly, it works. But it would be really nice to get encode on the fly to work as the CD drive doesn't spin up and down for every song.

Here are the details:

CDEX command line for wavpack.exe

-w Artist="%a" -w Album="%b" -w Title="%t" -w TrackNumber="%tn" -w Date="%y" -w Genre="%g" - %2

"Send WAV header to stdin" and "On the fly encoding" is both checked.

During ripping, wavpack shows "creating .....\temp.wv, ... 0% done..."

Problem is, when CDex finishes sending the wav file on stdin, the dos window disppears and CDex immediately displays "system cannot find the file specified". If I go to the target directory, even the temp.wv file is no longer there.

My gut feeling tells me it has something to do with the way CDex renames the output file that conflicts with the way wavpack writes the output file. Is wavpack closing the input too fast? I will try EAC tomorrow to see if I have the same problem or not...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=285093"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Probably WavPack displayed some sort of error before terminating that would be a clue as why the file was deleted, but unfortunately it's impossible to see! My first guess would be that CDex might be putting the wrong length in the wav header. Try adding the new -i option and see of that fixes it. That option causes WavPack to ignore the length in the wav header and just convert all samples.

I have created the binaries for 4.2 and am just finishing testing and documentation updates. Very soon... 

WavPack question

Reply #14
Probably WavPack displayed some sort of error before terminating that would be a clue as why the file was deleted, but unfortunately it's impossible to see! My first guess would be that CDex might be putting the wrong length in the wav header. Try adding the new -i option and see of that fixes it. That option causes WavPack to ignore the length in the wav header and just convert all samples.

Hi, that was the problem! It worked with the -i setting!

How about adding a "suggested application setting" on your website for common programs like CDex and EAC? It will help people new to wavpack a lot.

Here are the settings for CDex that works for me. I can provide screenshots if needed.

ID3 Tag Version: None (otherwise cdex appends tag to end of file)
Encoder: External Encoder
Encoder Path: full path to wavpack.exe
Parameter string: -imh -w "artist=%a" -w "album=%b" -w "title=%t" -w "tracknumber=%tn" -w "date=%y" -w "genre=%g" - %2
File Extension: wv (need this, otherwise wavpack implicitly adds .wv and cdex's final rename stage fails)
Send Wave header to stdin: yes
On-the-fly Encoding: yes

WavPack question

Reply #15
Someone has e-mailed me with a bug report on this. There is a problem with combining -i and -w options, in fact I don't know how it has ever worked. Better verify your files! 

Anyway, I am working on this and should have a quick beta for testing very soon.

Thanks!

WavPack question

Reply #16
Okay, as promised, here's yet another WavPack 4.2 beta:

http://wavpack.com/wavpack42b4.zip

I fixed the problem with combining the new -i and -w options. Unfortunately, to do this required a little more modification to critical parts than I really like so close to a release, so any additional testing anyone does is greatly appreciated. 

This version also has a moderate encoder speedup over 4.1 (and the last beta) in lossless stereo and all stereo "extra" modes.

WavPack question

Reply #17
Okay, as promised, here's yet another WavPack 4.2 beta:

http://wavpack.com/wavpack42b4.zip

I fixed the problem with combining the new -i and -w options. Unfortunately, to do this required a little more modification to critical parts than I really like so close to a release, so any additional testing anyone does is greatly appreciated. 

This version also has a moderate encoder speedup over 4.1 (and the last beta) in lossless stereo and all stereo "extra" modes.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=285661"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

After encoding it seems to output an infinit string of spaces to the screen, using this command line:
wavpack -h -x6 -p testfile.wav

If I kill the process the encoded file seems to be ok.

WavPack question

Reply #18
After encoding it seems to output an infinit string of spaces to the screen, using this command line:
wavpack -h -x6 -p testfile.wav

If I kill the process the encoded file seems to be ok.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=285695"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for reporting this, but unfortunately I can't reproduce it. 

Does the -p option make a difference? Does the file really have 32-bit data in it (which is what -p works with)?

Does it matter what file you try to compress, or is it all files?

Does the previous beta (4.2b3) have the same problem, or is this new?

What OS are you using?

Thanks again, hopefully this informtation will help me find the problem.

WavPack question

Reply #19
-It has the problem even with the simplest command:
wavpack testfile.wav
-All files
-Previous beta has same problem
-Windows XP

WavPack question

Reply #20
-It has the problem even with the simplest command:
wavpack testfile.wav
-All files
-Previous beta has same problem
-Windows XP
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=285820"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What!?   

Are you saying that neither this beta nor the previous beta work on XP, no matter what the command line or the file!? I assume that 4.1 works because that's what you used for your website test, right?

Does anyone else see this!? 

WavPack question

Reply #21
no problems here.  ive never had any stability issues.  im using b3, and never use anything but lossless tho.  regardless, thanks for the awsome product bryant.
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.

WavPack question

Reply #22
I've found the problem. It seems it has something to do with the fact that I changed the default width of the command line window of Windows XP.

WavPack question

Reply #23
I've found the problem. It seems it has something to do with the fact that I changed the default width of the command line window of Windows XP.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=285872"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ah, that makes some sense. I'll look into this; it might be any easy fix (and probably easier to reproduce now). Thanks...