Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why vorbisgain doesn't allow to specify REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN? (Read 8880 times) previous topic - next topic

Why vorbisgain doesn't allow to specify REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN?

So I'm just entering the world of lossy audio codecs and this is my very first post here. I tried very hard to find the reason for not being able to specify the track gain value from vorbisgain. I can just specify album gain.

Well, it's true I can run vorbisgain to normalize at 89 dB and the run vorbistagedit or vorbiscomment to manually by summing up the value I want to the value of REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN.
Example:  I want to put all my files with 95 dB of loudness. From 89 dB to 95 dB I need to add 6 dB. So, if REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN=2 dB (generated by vorbisgain), I'll sum 6 dB to complete 95 dB. Then, REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN=8 dB.

Is there any legitimate reason developers don't want the end user to automatically track gain a file?
At least I'd tested with a file and then played with ogg123 and had no issues(distortion etc).

Thanks in advance!

Reply #1
Is there any legitimate reason developers don't want the end user to automatically track gain a file?

That defeats the purpose of the program, which is to calculate a track gain value.  If you already know the value, vorbisgain isn't needed, and so there isn't really a need for that option.

It sounds though like you're trying to actually force the software to use a different loudness standard than replaygain specifies.  In which case, usually you do this adjustment during playback using a preamp value.  Changing the definition in the tags breaks compatibility.

Reply #2
saratoga, I liked your idea. So I will just run vorbisgain and use any music player with pre amp function. Thanks for the clarification.