Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can't play *.aac files (Read 5725 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't play *.aac files

The *.aac files are added to the playlist automatically, but foobar2k reports these files are damaged or unsurported. When I rename the *.aac to *.m4a, the foobar2k can play them. I have hundreds of aac files. what shall I do?

Can't play *.aac files

Reply #1
It sounds like (some of?) your AAC files might really be renamed MP4/M4A files. You'd have to rename them back to MP4/M4A fro foobar2000 to accept them. This is because foobar2000 will also play back raw AAC files with the file extension AAC, and hence in your case foobar2000 assumes that the files are raw AAC.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Can't play *.aac files

Reply #2
It sounds like (some of?) your AAC files might really be renamed MP4/M4A files. You'd have to rename them back to MP4/M4A fro foobar2000 to accept them. This is because foobar2000 will also play back raw AAC files with the file eextension AAC, and hence in your case foobar2000 assumes that the files are raw AAC.

Thanks?It's common to get abundent aac files (MP4/M4A files in fact) from internet at least in China. so, I hope foobar2k can tell the raw AAC and the fack aac files.

Can't play *.aac files

Reply #3
The *.aac files are added to the playlist automatically, but foobar2k reports these files are damaged or unsurported. When I rename the *.aac to *.m4a, the foobar2k can play them. I have hundreds of aac files. what shall I do?

Actually to me it doesn't play either way. Earlier versions used to play .m4a perfectly. Now it doesn't. And renaming them to .aac doesn't work. Is conversion the only option here? I have thousands, not hundreds. Using batch conversion from lossy to lossy doesn't sound too good to me. Check the last statement, conversion in foobar2000 for these files doesn't work either. Starting to feel some paranoia.

Can't play *.aac files

Reply #4
Any news regarding this issue?

Can't play *.aac files

Reply #5
If you shared a file people might be able to find out what the problem is.

Can't play *.aac files

Reply #7
Got no idea.

Can't play *.aac files

Reply #8
Throw your files at MediaInfo and see what comes out. Nobody's got a crystal ball around here.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Can't play *.aac files

Reply #9
Throw your files at MediaInfo and see what comes out. Nobody's got a crystal ball around here.

I appreciate very much your will of helping and the necessary patience with an initiate such as myself.
Here is the MEdiaInfo from one of the files:
Format                                  : dash
Codec ID                                : dash
File size                                : 554 MiB
Duration                                : 5h 3mn
Overall bit rate                        : 255 Kbps

Audio
ID                                      : 1
Format                                  : AAC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                          : LC
Codec ID                                : 40
Duration                                : 5h 3mn
Bit rate                                : 254 Kbps
Channel(s)                              : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode                        : Lossy
Stream size                              : 551 MiB (99%)
Encoded date                            : UTC 2014-06-15 09:55:35
Tagged date                              : UTC 2014-06-15 09:55:35

The fact is I just do not understand how older files in the same format used to and still play without a problem, and the newer ones (even though partly incomplete) do not.

Can't play *.aac files

Reply #10
Earlier versions used to play .m4a perfectly. Now it doesn't.

older files in the same format used to and still play without a problem, and the newer ones (even though partly incomplete) do not.

So... it turns out that the problem is in new mp4 files, not it new foobar2000.

foobar2000 doesn't support MPEG-DASH.

Can't play *.aac files

Reply #11
^the next version will though.

MP4 DASH will be supported in the next foobar2000 update, as it seems all other major MP4 players recognize it.

Can't play *.aac files

Reply #12
Strange thing. I could swear I played the same files with earlier versions and now I cannot.

Oh well, I am waiting for the next version then.

Thank you, guys, for your help! Happy Holidays!

Can't play *.aac files

Reply #13
No need to wait. The beta version was released yesterday.

Can't play *.aac files

Reply #14
Cool! Thank you.

Re: Can't play *.aac files

Reply #15
I considered starting a new topic but this way at least I show I searched for possible solutions before posting ;)

I have a similar problem with .aac files - except MediaInfo provides no information about them.

Example:
CompleteName                    : C:\Downloads\test\DJ B.aac
FileSize/String                  : 96.4 MiB

The files play in Winamp with no problem.

Here is the file as example:
https://filetea.me/t1sSKTxmLfVRXCcBKW7x1Adxw

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reply #16
Here is what Winamp says about the file:

Payload Size: 50462708 bytes
Format: AAC
Header found at: 356 bytes
MPEG-4 AAC
Length: 3141 seconds
CBR 128 kbps
Profile: LC
44100Hz Stereo
CRC: No

Reply #17
Your file doesn't play because it has an ID3v2 tag. This thread is about the same issue. I don't expect foobar2000 to change in this aspect so the old recommendation to mux the file into a proper MP4 is still valid.

Reply #18
All clear, thanks!
I would be wondering why is that .aac files with 'ID3v2 tag' are not supported in Foobar while work ok in Winamp (I am switching from) but it seems that the problem is rare and in the other post also a result of using StationRipper.