Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: thanx (Read 4653 times) previous topic - next topic

thanx

i get similar if not better quality with foobar as with winamp with enhancer plugin but then what i like about foobar is its simplicity and the focus on  quality .thanx for this great player     

thanx

Reply #1
Does Foobar2k really sound better than Winamp with the DSOutput 2.2.6 and RAD plugin? 

I keep hearing the word 'placebo' from zZzZzZz himself.

As for minimal system resources, definitely (though my winamp rarely goes above 1% CPU on Win2k, P2 333) foobar2k uses less RAM.

thanx

Reply #2
Properly designed players should all sound the same (sans DSP enhancements).

thanx

Reply #3
I also don't know why many people in this forum write "better quality than winamp". I can't believe this - winamp has been developed for quite a long time, and the coders at Nullsoft don't seem to be that bad (btw. I'm talking about version 2.81, not the V3 which is crappy in my opinion).

So could someone please give me convincing reasons of that?

Regards, fileman.

thanx

Reply #4
To all intents and purposes, the latest Winamp3, Winamp 2 and foobar output the same quality audio to your sound card driver (with all DSPs turned off). What your driver does to it is it's own problem. But it's fairly stupid to say that one player is better quality than another. However the whole directsound/waveout/driver issue is another matter.

thanx

Reply #5
so... it doesn't sound better ?

thanx

Reply #6
no
Made in Portugal

thanx

Reply #7
Also the audio quality comparison has a lot to do with the mp3 decoder used.  Winamp uses the Fraunhofer decoder which is considered one of the best.  Foobar2k I think uses mpglib (correct me on this but isn't mpg123 based on mpglib??). 

As for the quality of mp3 decoders, you can probably get a rough idea from this page MPEG Decoder Compliance which I got from this thread

thanx

Reply #8
i can't hear a difference.  maybe with a 24bit card though.

thanx

Reply #9
like an audigy 2, or one of those higher model m-audio cards 

thanx

Reply #10
like an audigy 2
No.
or one of those higher model m-audio cards  :)
Much more likely to have actual 24 bit output.