Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: matroska patch for FFMPEG (Read 4761 times) previous topic - next topic

matroska patch for FFMPEG

Hi,

i have the great pleasure to announce that Ronald 'BBB' Bultje's matroska patch for FFMPEG was finally accepted and applied by Michael Niedermayer, the head FFMPEG developer. Michael had only a few minor critical points he wanted to have changed, and finally applied BBB's patch after these changes were done.

For the non-techies amongst you, FFMPEG is the most complete and probably also the best collection of opensource code for multimedia handling, its including complete MPEG1/2/4 en- and decoders ( both audio and video, organized in libavcodec ), an AVI/MPEG/MP4/Ogg/RM/MOV/NSV/etc container handler ( demuxer for all, muxer for most, organized in libavformat ), as well as decoders for many other video and audio formats.

Some of you may know that FFMPEG is the basis for Milan Cutka's FFDshow as well as for FFvfw. In principal it is now possible to include a matroska splitter into FFDshow, even if this makes no sense as we have a pretty good splitter filter, just to give you an idea.

FFMPEG is used by most opensource players, especially in the Linux world and if they are not DirectShow based, but players like VLC, Xine and mplayer are available for Windows and MacOS also, and all of them use FFMPEG for at least the decoding part of the majority of audio and video content AFAIK.

Its a great day for us that matroska has FFMPEG support now, as we can certainly expect wider and better player support now, and its also possible to concentrate matroska playback support for several important players in one single module, instead of having to update all the players independantly.

In the name of the matroska team i would like to express my highest appreciation to BBB for his incredible work on his matroska demuxer and muxer library. He made them originally for the Gstreamer multimedia framework and in plain C, and released them under the L-GPL license. Soon the idea was born to make a nice FFMPEG patch from it, and now he finally found the time to do it.

BBB, you're our hero !!! We cant thank you enough for this great contribution to our project and are happy to call you our friend !

Thanks for reading this short announcement

Christian
matroska project admin

Reply #1
Congratulations

Does this mean matroska should be supported better in hardware devices, now? I'm sure some use ffmpeg.

Reply #2
Does this mean matroska should be supported better in hardware devices, now? I'm sure some use ffmpeg.

Most hardware devices have ARM based processors, and those dont have the capability to handle FLOATS, so i dont think any of them are really based on FFMPEG ...... not sure though. If they do, they certainly dont comply with the L-GPL license FFMPEG is released under, else we would know about that .....