Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: columns ui + cleartype (windows 7) + dark background + different color (Read 3679 times) previous topic - next topic

columns ui + cleartype (windows 7) + dark background + different color

So I have a one pixel horizontal gap between different colors in columns ui

Screenshot:

If I disable cleartype (or change the font to a bitmap one), or if I use a light background the gap disappear... But, of course, these solutions don't satisfy me (are they good looking bitmap font?)

I have try different cleartype settings with no change.

So which dev I must annoy with my nerdy concern?

Reply #1
are you using $set_style(back,)?
as I don't know of a character that is stretched from bottom to top

Reply #2
Hum my screenshot and explication are not clear enough... 

The vertical green arrows between squares don't show a vertical measurement, they shows that the left of the square don't start at the same point...

The gap is horizontal, the square is stretched from left to right and differently for blue or red

It's more clear, in full size, between the most red square and the blue one upper...

I use only a global $set_style(back,)

Reply #3
it seems that red is shifted 1px to right, according to blue and green, when bg is dark
with light bg all is OK

Reply #4
Yes, exactly.

Sorry for my English...

Reply #5
you English is fine, I paid attention only to images

maybe the problem is in Windows not in CUI, although maybe CUI is double anti-aliasing (notice the green):

[edit] it's a screenshot from explorer modification

Reply #6
It is normal because you have ClearType enabled.
ClearType, as well as FreeType under Linux, just are something you can't control very well...

Reply #7
It is just the way the sub-pixel rendering ends up it seems, on the pinkish boxes there is another line on the left, it is just similar to the background (on the red box, virtually identical).

If it annoys you at the original size, the ClearType control panel applet doesn't help, and your monitor is set-up correctly then I don't think there is much you can do if you stay with it being rendered as ClearType text.

You could use $set_style (i.e. non-text based) but it will fill the whole cell.

Reply #8
Ho! I just realized how to use $set_style(back,) and $set_style(frame-...,...) to achieve what I want.

Thanks!

(The irony is that even without the gap, these colors creates an optical illusion and my eyes still see one... But the rest of my brain is contented)