Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Theoretical complement with USB out (Read 2083 times) previous topic - next topic

Theoretical complement with USB out

Hi everyone! This is my first post here, and... when i was about to finish it, i don't know why the pagre refreshed and i lost all what i wrote... so, i'll ask it short this time.

I want to make a jukebox, vintage style, with a single-size vinyl turntable inside. I want it to turn on when a song is being played... So i thought about a manual switch, not what i want but simple

The player will be Fb2k, cos the PC-jukebox programs that i tryed, either was really ugly or not working. In addition, the sound will be much better, and i thought that a complement with USB (or any common port) can give me a solution... Something like the MSN "now playing" feature in some way.

I can imagine it like:

Fb2k + "theoretical complement" (playing) --> USB output --> switch, USB output dependant (turns on) --> turntable turns on

vs.

Fb2k + "theoretical complement" (not playing) --> USB output --> switch, USB output dependant (turns off) --> turntable turns off

I think that the USB output don't have too much complexity, a simple YES or NO signal will be enough if the "switch" can recognize it.

Can anybody help me with that? I'll be very-too much-plus ultra-supervery grateful with

Guido (from Mar del Plata, Argentina)

Reply #1
It'll be easier to implement using a COM or an LPT port of the PC. If your PC has one then I can help I think.

Reply #2
If the motherboard you are using only has USB there are several possibilities. There are chips that implement a COM port via USB. The Silicon Labs CP210X is one such device. But that requires a special driver and a foobar plugin to manage it.

An alternative solution would be to use a USB DAC to play the music and control the turntable motor. I don't know what you planned to use as a DAC but a USB DAC would probably give you better sound quality than a motherboard CODEC. Just buy or build a USB DAC that uses a DAC chip which provides a MUTE signal output. The DAC chip asserts MUTE when the analog output is idle. You would use the inverted MUTE signal to control the turntable.