Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Turntable Face Off (Read 6196 times) previous topic - next topic

Turntable Face Off

Hello!
I purchased two turntables which I will be undergoing a large conversion of my collection to digital. I would like to ask for a second-opinion, blind review of two sample clips off of a 33.3 RPM Digitally Recorded Record. I think I have a clear winner in my head, but would like some confirmation. If you could listen to even the first 30 seconds or so, and post your feedback, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sample one can be downloaded HERE:
https://mega.co.nz/#!oFoUhYJR!ZayoG...1yJNaKBCWLzz2Fk

Sample two can be downloaded HERE:
https://mega.co.nz/#!ZM5SBA5S!PTdQH...SITRvSaa0uiP640

Turntable Face Off

Reply #1
Why is my download manager telling me that a 30 sec mp3 sample would involve downloading over 50Mb of date?

Turntable Face Off

Reply #2
2, obviously. Is 1 a crystal cartridge? Both are mono (two identical channels - even the clicks and scratches) - I assume your audio interface will do stereo when you need to? Assuming it's a mono record and you chose to record in mono: given the amount of audio restoration work that scratched recording needs, I'd digitise it in stereo, declick it, then convert to mono.

If all your records are that scratched, throw them away and go and buy them on CD.

(I'm trying to be helpful, but without the time available to phrase that more politely - please don't be offended!)

Cheers,
David.

Turntable Face Off

Reply #3
1 I believe is a ceramic cartridge. It is a cheap no-name $150 turntable.
2. Is a Stanton T.92 USB.

I figured as much. Stanton is much higher quality.

I am recording both with audacity, and I am a bit perplexed why the stanton is not recording stereo. The record specifically says "stereo" right on it and audacity is set to record in stereo!
This is by far the worst record in my collection, and I did not clean it at all (though I do have a cleaner on order with Amazon).

Turntable Face Off

Reply #4
1 I believe is a ceramic cartridge. It is a cheap no-name $150 turntable.
2. Is a Stanton T.92 USB.

I figured as much. Stanton is much higher quality.

I am recording both with audacity, and I am a bit perplexed why the stanton is not recording stereo. The record specifically says "stereo" right on it and audacity is set to record in stereo!
This is by far the worst record in my collection, and I did not clean it at all (though I do have a cleaner on order with Amazon).

Assuming you are using Windows - go into control panel-sound devices and look at the properties of the input device for the turntable.  You'll will probably find it to be "microphone", which is considered a mono device.  It's been a long time, but I think you can change it there.  I went through this with my ARTcessories USB Phono Plus.

Turntable Face Off

Reply #5
There is some information on the Audacity website about how to select stereo recording in Windows.