Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack 4.3 released (Read 48076 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #50
A lot of people use foobar (or other transcoding tools) to accomplish this, and in some cases these programs use pipes so that no wav file is stored.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=340796"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Another elegant solution would be dbpoweramp.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=340812"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And yet another would be speek's multi frontend.  Allows encoding through a pipe and has an option to copy tags from the source files.  Can be handy for non-foobar users and needs only the fronted and appropriate exe files (wavpack.exe, flac.exe, etc...)

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #51
@bryant
Much compliments, for this nice update of the very good WavPack.
Are you planning to add 24bit output to winamp plugin (like Flac does)?
It would be a very wonderful thing to the quality  of the DSPs in the chain

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #52
A lot of people use foobar (or other transcoding tools) to accomplish this, and in some cases these programs use pipes so that no wav file is stored.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=340796"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can't believe I forgot that Foobar can use command line encoders too. I'm an idiot, go shoot me now...

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #53
Thanks for the update!

I have a question.  foobar2000 can play wavpack files natively can it not?  So why is there a new version of the foobar2000 wavpack component?

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #54
Updated version by the author of WavPack himself.  Usually he does small fixes such as increased decoding speed, etc.  foobar2000 comes bundled with a copy of foo_wavpack.dll which works fine with the program for all WavPack 4 files made so far.
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #55
can anybody confirm that the wildcards in-w work?

i have the cue file, the wave and the wavpack.exe in the same directory
my command line is:

wavpack -m -t -w CUESHEET=@*.cue <infile> <outfile.wv>

i get the following error: error in tag spec: CUESHEET=@*.cue !

edit: sorry guys. i tested it on my desktop and i didn't see that there was another cuesheet, because my desktop is so untidy

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #56
can anybody confirm that the wildcards in-w work?

i have the cue file, the wave and the wavpack.exe in the same directory
my command line is:

wavpack -m -t -w CUESHEET=@*.cue <infile> <outfile.wv>

i get the following error: error in tag spec: CUESHEET=@*.cue !

edit: sorry guys. i tested it on my desktop and i didn't see that there was another cuesheet, because my desktop is so untidy
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341329"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The wildcard in -w currently only works in win32 (I guess I should mention that somewhere until I get it working; I've been thinking of this an EAC/foobar enhancement). Could that be the problem?

BTW, there are some updates to the *nix versions coming up soon to fix some problems that have been reported, along with a command-line replaygain scanner... 

Okay, I see your update. I keep my desktop absolutely full! In fact, there are usually one or two icons off the right side that I can't actually read but I can barely grab the edge when I need them!

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #57
hi bryant. thanks for your reply. a command line replaygain scanner would be great really. i've been trying the whole day today to make a one-step solution to encode a wavefile to wavpack, embed the cuesheet, embed the logfile (which works now) and add replaygain values to the embedded cue sheet.

would be great if you could make this possible

at the moment i'm adding the replaygain values to the cuesheet afterwards with foobar which works but is not as elegant as if the wavpack.exe could do it.

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #58
at the moment i'm adding the replaygain values to the cuesheet afterwards with foobar which works but is not as elegant as if the wavpack.exe could do it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341342"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmm. Well, you might have to stick with your inelegant solution, at least for a while. 

My first version scanner will not handle cuefiles. The real purpose of the program is to give *nix users replaygain ability because they can't run foobar, and I'm pretty sure that *nix users can't play WavPack files with cuesheets either.

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #59
another question: when i have a cuesheet integrated and decompress the wv files with wvunpack.exe, is it possible to make wvunpack.exe write the embedded cuesheet to a .cue file ?

i couldn't find any option in the documentation

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #60
I don't think this option does exist... but I really like the idea.
I'm on a horse.

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #61
I don't think this option does exist... but I really like the idea.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341578"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OHHHHHHHHHHHYEAAAAA!! 
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #62
another question: when i have a cuesheet integrated and decompress the wv files with wvunpack.exe, is it possible to make wvunpack.exe write the embedded cuesheet to a .cue file ?

i couldn't find any option in the documentation
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341566"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That actually sounds pretty easy to implement. The cuesheet would get the same name as the wavpack file except with .cue (and convert from UTF-8 back to ANSI). But would I have to parse it and change some filenames or paths?

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #63
That actually sounds pretty easy to implement. The cuesheet would get the same name as the wavpack file except with .cue (and convert from UTF-8 back to ANSI). But would I have to parse it and change some filenames or paths?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341590"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

the best thing for maximum compatibility (or ease of use for unexperienced users) would be if wvunpack would edit the line

Code: [Select]
FILE "Image.wav" WAVE

to the correct filename which in this case is the filename of the original wv file (or later the decompressed .wav file).

but this is not a must i think
i have no idea how much work that is for you if you'd have to parse the cuesheet

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #64
But would I have to parse it and change some filenames or paths?

I guess, as the cuesheet would be created in the same folder as the wave file, then it would be useful to change the FILE reference to the name of the wave file that is being created (no path - just a relative reference).

It's likely that the FILE command of the embedded cuesheet will reference the WV file, so an edit will be necessary.  It would make the facility a lot more useful if it made that edit for you.

Also, as WVUNPACK lets you specify the name of the wave file, it makes sense that WVUNPACK ensure that the cuesheet points to the created file.

I think what I'm trying to say is: Yes, please - that would be great.

Edit:
but this is not a must i think
I don't think it's a must - but as you said yourself, it would make the facility a lot easier for the novice user.  Without it the feature would be midly useful - with it it would be just the job.
I'm on a horse.

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #65
I don't think it's a must - but as you said yourself, it would make the facility a lot easier for the novice user.  Without it the feature would be midly useful - with it it would be just the job.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341595"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yep same opinion here 

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #66
I guess the other consideration is self-extracting files.

It would be cool to double click on a WavPack EXE only to have it extract to a wave and accompanying cuesheet all ready to burn.

However, this then suggests making the facility compulsory, or somehow specifying the behaviour upon encoding.

Personally I think it's worth it as a compulsory feature - especially considering tags will just be lost upon decryption anyway, so it makes sense that the user will require the cuesheet to be extracted.

However, maybe this might confuse/annoy some people?

Thanks to Xenion for this suggestion.  I hope it makes it in somehow.
I'm on a horse.

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #67
Well, having to parse it (and all the complications that could follow) is lot more trouble than blindly writing it out there (like I blindly take it in during encode). Maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut about changing the filename! 

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #68
Is it just me or does the self-extract feature produce files with all-capitalised names?

Example: CDImage.wav becomes CDIMAGE.WAV

This seems to happen to me.

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #69
a command-line replaygain scanner[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341336"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wonderful! The last piece falls into place.

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #70
Well, having to parse it (and all the complications that could follow) is lot more trouble than blindly writing it out there (like I blindly take it in during encode). Maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut about changing the filename! 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341606"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree. Just write it out as it is. Isn't WavPack a lossless encoder, after all? So even metadata should be "encoded" and "decoded" losslessly. Personally I always embed the cuesheet with the correct file name and extension (.wav) assuming to eventually use it after extraction. This is an easy discipline to obey to.

Sergio

Edit: orthography
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #71
i also do it like that (correct filename + .wav extension) but i'm not sure if every player (is there any other than foobar that supports wv+cue?) behaves like foobar which doesn't care about the "FILE" line

(but i'm anyway a supporter of the parsing thing  although i personally might not need it as i'm paranoid about correct filenames/tags)

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #72
i also do it like that (correct filename + .wav extension) but i'm not sure if every player (is there any other than foobar that supports wv+cue?) behaves like foobar which doesn't care about the "FILE" line
...[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341657"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, the point is, IMHO, that if you have the cuesheet embedded it really doesn't matter what the filename is in it when you play the compressed file through foobar200 (the only player I know of that can handle WavPack with embedded cuesheets). If you extract it while decoding to WAV, then you very likely need the cuesheet with the .wav filename. Winamp, with the aid of a plug-in, can handle EXTERNAL cuesheets with the .wv filename. But in this case you will need to leave the cuesheet external, not embedded (unhapply).

Sergio
Sergio

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #73
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341657"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
is there some setting that i missed? because afaict foobar _does_ care about the file line, 0.8.3 at least does.

WavPack 4.3 released

Reply #74
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341657"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
is there some setting that i missed? because afaict foobar _does_ care about the file line, 0.8.3 at least does.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341669"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, it doesn't if the cuesheet is embedded. It does, of course, if you use separate .cue and .wv files.

Sergio
Sergio