Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Boosting bass and treble response (Read 11887 times) previous topic - next topic

Boosting bass and treble response

My Sony TA-FE210 is poor at reproducing good bass and treble in music (esp. bass). Normally I have the loudness button pushed in and bass and treble controls set at roughly +5 (max +10). Although I feel this is altering the source a little too much for my likeing.

There are two other ways I could increase bass and treble:-

- Through the Audigy 2 mixer's bass and treble sliders
- Through foobars equalizer

Which do you feel would give the best effect without altering the original signal too much?

Also if I used the foobar equalizer, I assume that it would be placed after the resampler?

Thanks
John

Reply #1
Which do you feel would give the best effect without altering the original signal too much?

i dont get it, dood, what would be too much?  more is better, most is best, too much is never enough! 

but, seriously, enough is when it sounds good to *you*.  i think you will have the best luck with foobars' eq because there are 18 bands to play with instead of just 'bass' and 'treble'.  you'll be able to tailor the sound to your liking much better that way.  start with all bands at zero, then start sliding.  hint: you may get a better sound by *reducing* some of the bands.  those things slide up *and* down for a reason. 
My Sony TA-FE210 is poor at reproducing good bass and treble
so, you'll probly end up with an eq curve that looks like a big smiley face, the upper and lower bands raised a bit and mids lowered. 
hth

Reply #2
you'll probly end up with an eq curve that looks like a big smiley face, the upper and lower bands raised a bit and mids lowered.

(Do not try this at home.)
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #3
you'll probly end up with an eq curve that looks like a big smiley face, the upper and lower bands raised a bit and mids lowered.

I hope it still works tomorrow. 

Reply #4
A very unusual mode of expression, I must say. 

...Coke, most of which was channeled through my nose.

Ouch.

Reply #5
Ssamadhi97 that looks scary 

So far this what I've got to:

Bass and treble settings on the amp are set to +-0. Certainly a pity there's no tone defeat button on it.

Two problems so far though. One is I have to pre-amp everything down a lot in foobar now to stop clipping. Therefore the amp has to be turned up a great deal to get the same volume. This is causing some audible hiss during quieter passages in music.

Secondly things sound a bit boomy, any lower and the bass seems to be too poor.

Other than that, there is noticeabley better sound quality in the mid range and treble.

Can't have your cake and eat it. Need a new amp I reckon.

Reply #6
[..]
Need a new amp I reckon.

Sounds to me like you need a decent set of speakers / headphones.
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #7
I suppose you've already tried repositioning your speakers.

Reply #8
Ssamadhi97 that looks scary  

So far this what I've got to:

Bass and treble settings on the amp are set to +-0. Certainly a pity there's no tone defeat button on it.

Two problems so far though. One is I have to pre-amp everything down a lot in foobar now to stop clipping. Therefore the amp has to be turned up a great deal to get the same volume. This is causing some audible hiss during quieter passages in music.

Other than that, there is noticeabley better sound quality in the mid range and treble.

Can't have your cake and eat it. Need a new amp I reckon.

This is an exellent example on EQ abuse, aplifying by... +12dB or something? that's nuts to say the least.
First of all press "auto level", when equalizing, you attenuate unwanted - not gaining.

I assume all you're really looking for is "loud boomy" bass, you're doing great!

Reply #9
Sounds to me like you need a decent set of speakers / headphones.

The headphones are Philips SBC HP840's and the speakers are Genexxa GX-206's. Both items were relatively expensive (at least to me) and seem of good quality to me. On the other hand, the amp was a budget purchase and as I say doesn't even feature a tone defeat button. Maybe be your'e right. I'd have to try the amp with different speakers and headphones though.

I suppose you've already tried repositioning your speakers.

Good point. My room makes it difficult for this, and I know it's accoustics are not conducive to good listenting. So it could be the answer. Only point telling me otherwise is the lack of bass kick in the headphones.

This is an exellent example on EQ abuse, aplifying by... +12dB or something? that's nuts to say the least.

Why is that?

First of all press "auto level", when equalizing, you attenuate unwanted - not gaining.

I can't see how that would make any difference at all. If I pushed auto-level, I can put my pre-amp gain back to it's modest -1.7db (to stop clippping) from it's current -10.3db. The resulting sound would be exactly the same wouldn't it?

I assume all you're really looking for is "loud boomy" bass, you're doing great!

No definately not. As I said, the bass is too boomy at the moment. But any less gain the bass seems too poor. With the present setting, there isn't so much "kick" as there is "boom". But I don't know how to rectify this without getting out my wallet (ouch!).

Reply #10
the bass is too boomy at the moment

like i said, the sliders *do* go down. B)  start with that boomy curve you've got, and one at a time pull down a low end slider.  you may end up with most of 'em up, but the band thats causing the boom will be cut.

hint: do just the opposite of what i just said; slide the sliders *up* one at a time, till you find the one that makes the boom worse.  then pull it down.

Reply #11
Thanks junglesh

Ok, repositioned my speakers slightly. Which seems to have helped. Then changed resampling from 48khz to 96khz (it's an audigy 2) which enabled me to drop the pre-amp gain to only -0.2db to prevent any clipping.

Relaid and tidied the mass mess of cabling round the PC and amp, which has cured the strange hissing and buzzing sounds I hear when the amp is turned up.

These settings now seem better. And are less extreme. Although still not completely ideal:

Thanks for the suggestion junglesh. I will begin to experiment with moving the sliders around to kill the boomyness. Perhaps a new amp won't be neccessary.

PS. I love Foobar 

Reply #12
Thanks junglesh

haha, i guess that'd be pronounced 'younglesh'  makes me feel real existential! 

thing is, the curve youve got now is almost the same as the one before, only quieter all around.  bassically(pun intended) the same sound, only less.  probly does sound less boomy just cuz its quieter.  play with just one slider.  'less of course youve got it sounding good.  then, great!