Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Storing Metadata in .flac and/or .cue files (Read 2963 times) previous topic - next topic

Storing Metadata in .flac and/or .cue files

Hello!

Hope someone can help me..... I'm at my wits end. At least I'd like to know what the "standard procedure" would be in my case.

There are several single large .flac images with external .cue sheets, processed by eac, on my disk. I would like to use them as my source for transcoding into .mp3 or aac files as required.

A good idea now would be to store all required metadata in those flac files, since foobar copies them to the target files during conversion. (like the composer, performer and other tags -- I have quite a few classical cds.) So the source file is properly tagged. But everytime I try to enter metadata via foobar (.cue sheets are loaded into the playlist) nothing is stored in those .cue files, my edits are not saved.

A feature? I know it would be pointless to redefine the tags of the single large .flac since there are multiple titles-- so do I have to use the database in this case?
This is something I tried to avoid, because I wanted to use the DB solely for the already converted, lossy files.

btw, that plugin (foo_cue_ex.dll) which enables cue sheet writing does not work so well....

Thanks,
indigo

Reply #1
Okay, to clarify:

Lets say I plan on using the DB. How do I use the database in conjunction with my aforementioned setup? How do I save metadata for my FLAC files in the database? I have path restrictions in the DB config page which I removed, but it didnt seem to work (no store in either DB or cue file)

Could I restrict queries to the DB to my mp3s/m4as only?

Any hints appreciated...

Reply #2
After some consideration, I came up with the following solution:

1) No Single image, multiple tracks
2) cue sheet creation (done by EAC) for future use by the foobar cd writer
3) Change from FLAC to Wavpack with the added benefit of slightly better compression

Now everything is working as expected! Tags are stored in the .wv files, and file handling is much easier (at least for me). Franky I dont really need the benefits of having large single files -- I can handle directories well, and restoring cds are not a high priority for me, rather tagging flexibility, as should be obvious by now 

Strange thing -- to be talking to myself  , but just in case somebody is reading this, I wanted to post my solution.

Cheers,
indigo

Reply #3
Maybe there's no need to leave the image format. I recall a plugin which makes foobar write the metadata into the CUE sheet.

The advantage of an image format is that it includes the first gap of the CD (which is usually half a second of silence, and very occasionally a true song, the so-called 'hidden track').

I should add that I myself use one-file-per-track, for the same reasons of convenience/compatibility you mention.

Reply #4
Maybe there's no need to leave the image format. I recall a plugin which makes foobar write the metadata into the CUE sheet.

Do you mean "foo_cue_ex.dll"? I tried it, but it somehow messed up my tags... at one point I had duplicates, but I can't recall what had happened exactly. I stopped tinkering with it...

The advantage of an image format is that it includes the first gap of the CD (which is usually half a second of silence, and very occasionally a true song, the so-called 'hidden track').

As I mentioned, recreating the CD bit-perfect is not one of my priorites, but it sure is a nice feature... but then again, are there hidden tracks on classical CDs? 

I should add that I myself use one-file-per-track, for the same reasons of convenience/compatibility you mention.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=346555"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, it is a very convenient way of handling files. A nice feature to have would be a second database or the general implementation of multiple databases. I guess many people here make a distinction between their "source" archive of lossless files and their "daily use, portable," encoded ones. For the latter I use the DB, but it would be nice to have the flexibility of a DB for your source archive, which I keep on a separate partition, and which I made some playlists for.

Btw, thanks for replying -- I really doubted if I made myself clear enough....