Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Noob needs help with customizing layout (Read 1950 times) previous topic - next topic

Noob needs help with customizing layout

Hey, I'm a new Foobar user and I'm having trouble customizing my layout. I added a crude screenshot of my current layout and how I would like to make it look.

1. Is it possible to add a column that displays the date a file was created (like in windows file explorer)?

2. Can the playback buttons be moved to the middle of the bottom bar and can they be increased in size to appear bigger?

3. Can the current playing track be moved from the upper bar to where the buttons currently are in the screenshot and can the font be bolded?

4. Can the upper bar that shows current playlists be removed?

5. How would I add a lower split panel for track meta data?

Sorry for the Newbie questions and the bad quality of the screenshot. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Re: Noob needs help with customizing layout

Reply #1
Hi there,

1. Is it possible to add a column that displays the date a file was created (like in windows file explorer)?

Not without tagging every file with the date. Foobar only gives access to %last_modified% date. If you really must show creation date, I believe the old File/Date (foo_filedate) component can tag your files, or use MP3tag as mentioned at the end of this discussion thread about the issue.

(The creation date is not a permanent thing anyway, if you copy / backup files to other drives it gets newly written)

With Playback Statistics component you can get %added% (date added to library folders monitored by foobar) which might serve your purpose. Note that every track is set the current date on first install.

2. Can the playback buttons be moved to the middle of the bottom bar and can they be increased in size to appear bigger?

With Default UI toolbar buttons, they can be moved to the middle with some splitters, but not made any bigger than the toolbar size. (Although you can change them to darker icons to be a little more prominent)

With Columns UI you can have bigger buttons, but that is an entirely different UI to learn and does not support some components.

However, third option you could install Spider Monkey Panel (SMP) and use the included sample script for 'track info + seekbar + buttons.js' ← (scroll up a bit for screenshot). Or you could try to "lift" a similar track info script from other themes. ;)

( @TheQwertiest the quick #links should probably be before the screenshot :) - lovely home page though!)

3. Can the current playing track be moved from the upper bar to where the buttons currently are in the screenshot and can the font be bolded?

(^ If not using SMP for the job...)

Put a Text Display element in a splitter next to the toolbar. It can display whatever track info and font you like.

4. Can the upper bar that shows current playlists be removed?

Sure, but you may have to redesign that whole section of splitters. It depends how they are connected. I would suggest using the View > Layout > Create Scratchbox as a temporary copy / paste location to move things around, together with Layout Editing Mode switched on.

If you right-click the Playlist Tabs you can paste / replace UI element, but beware that whatever connected splitters highlighted in blue would also be replaced. Another tip, right-click directly on splitters to select and copy both sides. Add splitters in the Scratchbox and copy / paste elements you want to keep, and then back again.

5. How would I add a lower split panel for track meta data?

You could arrange your own with aforementioned Text Display element and decide which tags you want shown. Or just insert the standard Selection Properties part of foobar.

Cheers

Reply #2
Extremely helpful reply answered every question thoroughly, thank you very much.

SMP looks really good going to give it a try. Sorry again for the noob questions, I've been having difficulty figuring out title formatting etc. But this helps a lot thank you again.

Reply #3
the quick #links should probably be before the screenshot :) - lovely home page though!
I've tried to do that, but have failed, since I'm a total noob at html =(
But thanks for the kind words =)