Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What should be the best minimum bit rate for a VBR mp3 song? (Read 8449 times) previous topic - next topic

What should be the best minimum bit rate for a VBR mp3 song?

I am using RazorLame and I am encoding some songs. Space is a constrain so what should be the best minimum bit rate?

Does the minimum bit rate matters? I tried encoding a song two times, the first time with minimum bit rate set to 128kbps and the 2nd time with the minimum bit rate set to 8kbps. (the max bit rate is 320kbps and source file is 320kbps CBR)
But both produces similar results. The two songs have the same bit rate.(235kbps VBR) The file size of the 1st song is 6,736,305 bytes and the file size of the 2nd song is 6,736,147 bytes

Also, I am wondering if is it best to set the minimum bit rate to as low as possible such as 8kbps instead of 128kbps so that less complex segments of the file will have lower bit rate and such that the less complex segments will not be capped at a minimum of 128kbps.

What should be the best minimum bit rate for a VBR mp3 song? (assuming the max bit rate is 320kbps)

Reply #2
LAME recommended encoder settings. The "portable" recommendation is probably sufficient. Generally: stick to the presets and don't try to "tweak" the command line, except you know why you have to use an additional switch.

Too slow...

Reply #3

I am using RazorLame and I am encoding some songs. Space is a constrain so what should be the best minimum bit rate?

Does the minimum bit rate matters? I tried encoding a song two times, the first time with minimum bit rate set to 128kbps and the 2nd time with the minimum bit rate set to 8kbps. (the max bit rate is 320kbps and source file is 320kbps CBR)
But both produces similar results. The two songs have the same bit rate.(235kbps VBR) The file size of the 1st song is 6,736,305 bytes and the file size of the 2nd song is 6,736,147 bytes

Also, I am wondering if is it best to set the minimum bit rate to as low as possible such as 8kbps instead of 128kbps so that less complex segments of the file will have lower bit rate and such that the less complex segments will not be capped at a minimum of 128kbps.

What should be the best minimum bit rate for a VBR mp3 song? (assuming the max bit rate is 320kbps)

128kbps. It is the standard. Why go lower?

Reply #4
128kbps. It is the standard. Why go lower?

I think the OP was asking about the -b command-line option, which specifies a minimum bitrate per frame. Frames of pure digital silence (or, I assume, noise below the threshold of hearing) can be very well encoded at the default minimum of 32 kbps. Why go higher? With VBR you want the full range of frame sizes available so that the goal of saving space while maintaining consistent quality is met.