Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 make my computer crash (Read 4598 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 make my computer crash

Occationally, especially when I quick browse files one by one with "play next" shortcut, it start next file but stopped at the beginning without playing, if I tried to close foobar, my computer crash and restart! It has occured several times till now.
Most of my files are MPC format.
foobar2000 0.7.7c
win2kpro+sp3

Reply #1
I'm sure that information you give is going to be useful, unless an experienced person diagnosed it on his own installation.

How about listing all your plugins? Playback settings? Output plugin and buffer length?
Soundcard, driver version?
AFAIK Foobar2000 cannot cause a computer to crash, especially if that computer runs Windows 2000 or XP.

You may want to try updating your soundcard drivers.
While you're at it you can update Windows 2000 to SP4 too, if there are no bug regressions.

Reply #2
That sounds like buggy soundcard drivers.

What soundcard do you have?

Are you using kernel streaming? Have you tried switching to directsound/waveout?

Reply #3
Thx for your reply!

More info here:

foo_ape.dll
foo_cdda.dll
foo_clienc.dll
foo_console.dll
foo_delete.dll
foo_diskwriter.dll
foo_freedb.dll
foo_input_std.dll
foo_LyricMake.dll
foo_masstag.dll
foo_osd.dll
foo_out_ks.dll
foo_ui_std.dll

That's all plugins I'm using. You can see I'm using kernel streaming, I will try directsound/waveout later. I didn't tune other playback setting, just use default.
My soundcard is CMI8738/C3DX PCI audio device, v5.12.1.642.

Plus, it seems no such crash when I was using previous version of foobar2000. Only since 0.7.7 or later.

Reply #4
I will confirm this crash (BSOD). It appears to be the sound card, same/similar chipset as Raymond's, CMI8738/PCI-6ch-LX on a Chaintech AV-511 sound card. Replacing the card with an Ensoniq AudioPCI appears to have solved the problem.

Crash was initiated by trying to double-click my way through a few songs. Foobar2000 appears to halt, giving the impression that I had not successfully double-clicked the last song. A moment later the system BSOD's.

This has been observed with both 0.6x and 0.7.7b foobar2000 releases, standard install. Drivers from C-Media and MSUpdate (which are latest, not distributed my CMI for some reason) were tested.

Windows 2000 SP4+Hotfixes to current date, Intel CPU and chipset.

Reply #5
The same crash happens in new 0.8 beta version.
After changing output from kernel streaming to directsound, it's no problem so far.

Older versions didn't get this kind of problem in my computer.

Reply #6
I only used Waveout. I never tested DirectSound or KernelStreaming. Perhaps this matters?

Reply #7
After changing output from kernel streaming to directsound, it's no problem so far.

Ever noticed the note at the bottom of kernel streaming config page ?
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #8

Ever noticed the note at the bottom of kernel streaming config page ?

Sure I knew it.
As I said above, older versions didn't get me any trouble in my same computer.
Just post it as probably useful info for you.
I'm fine with directsound output, anyway.