Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_record & bit-perfect  (Read 2476 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_record & bit-perfect

Hi,
does anybody know if foo_record (https://foobar.hyv.fi/?view=foo_record) can be configured together with a virtual audio device (eg VB-Audio Hifi Cable) in a way that the stream is bit-perfect?

Is there a documentation of foo_record?

Thanks ahead
supersu

Re: foo_record & bit-perfect

Reply #1
foo_record can record bit-perfectly, yes.

Reply #2
Are there any prerequisties, things to be cautions about? As there is no documentation.
What's the audio backend - WASAPI?

Did you, or do you have a source where somebody tested the plugin for bypassing win-mixers.

Reply #3
I tested it myself.
Settings for bit-depth, samplerate, channels count in windows settings for recording device and in foo_record settings must correspond to properties of signal that you are trying to record. Any processing in foobar2000's converter must be disabled too.
And, of course, don't forget that if you really need bit-perfect, you need to bypass windows mixer on playback side too. And be sure that virtual cable software can guarantee bit-perfectness too.

Reply #4
It uses MME interface. I don't think it can guarantee bit-perfectness.

Reply #5
Settings for bit-depth, samplerate, channels count in windows settings for recording device and in foo_record settings must correspond to properties of signal that you are trying to record.
Well, i forgot that actually you need to do everything in 24 bits to be able to record 16 bit signal bit-perfectly.
Video of proving experiment that it is possible. Small clarification: Audacity was used there to remove excessive digital silence that was recorded before actual playback started an after actual playback ended.
https://youtu.be/XaEUp_fmlIs

Reply #6
@Rollin
Thank you for taking the time to present your findings.
Your entire process is done all within foobar. I think the challenge would be to check if the import with foo_record via a separate audio player as source could produce bit-perfect output. (I'm for example using foo_record to stream from Tidal and then use the convolution euqalizer in foobar.)

Reply #7
Your entire process is done all within foobar.
No. Sound data are passed through virtual sound card/cable. Virtual sound card is definitely not "within foobar2000".