Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Adobe Audition Stretching (Read 26717 times) previous topic - next topic

Adobe Audition Stretching

Reply #50
Shouldn´t Sox be working in Float and then dithering it down to 16bit, making it as good as possible?

It does.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #51
Shouldn´t Sox be working in Float and then dithering it down to 16bit, making it as good as possible?

It does.

That makes it just more confusing.

Is there a need for me to use Dithering or not in this scenario, as if not, then it only adds noise for me, which doesn´t benefit me at all.
Though if it does prevent distortion with this, then that´s another story.

Reply #52
Did you try all the setting bandpass suggests? If the types of dither are to "loud" for you try to listen if you hear distortion problems without dither. Choose what you like best.
One more idea is to use one highly shaped dither because there are so silent parts (i didn't listen the samples)
sox in.wav out.wav speed .96 dither -a -f high-shibata

Edit: Wrong idea, Shibata shapes only work at 44.1kHz
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #53
I explained that in my first post.
Converting to integer needs truncation of values into the discrete amount of possible steps. This truncation causes the quantization distortion, and adding dither (before the truncation) replaces that distortion by broadband noise.

Working only in 16bits means truncating at each operation, so it is worse because it accumulates errors. And as you were told, that's not what sox does.

Also note that digital silence (i.e. completely silent signal), has infinite bit depth. The real noise floor (i.e. the minimal signal) is the dither noise. If shaped, then signals below -96dbFS are possible in 16bits.

Reply #54
Did you try all the setting bandpass suggests? If the types of dither are to "loud" for you try to listen if you hear distortion problems without dither. Choose what you like best.
One more idea is to use one highly shaped dither because there are so silent parts (i didn't listen the samples)
sox in.wav out.wav speed .96 dither -a -f high-shibata

Edit: Wrong idea, Shibata shapes only work at 44.1kHz

From my tests, everything sounds the same, except that enabling dithering adds noise.
So in these cases i guess Dithering doesn´t have any real use. Either that or i am not hearing the distortions.