Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Encode problem from dsd64 MULTICHANEL to Flac  (Read 541 times) previous topic - next topic

Encode problem from dsd64 MULTICHANEL to Flac

Hello,

I used an ampli 9.1.2 Pioneer LX78 in DAC mode and i have a problem with Flac 5 or 5.1 channel.
Source : NAS network QNAS
File 1 : PinkFloyd - The Dark side of the moon 6769kb/s 96 Khz,24 bits, 6 canaux, FLAC  PLAY GOOD IN Multichannel
File  2 : Native DSD Music - Skidmore  Trancode from DSD 64 5CH with footbar2000 2.1 and Free encoder 2023-07-05 FLAC v1.4.3 to FLAC 6281 kb/s 96 khz, 24 bit NO ERROR FORMAT BUT DON'T PLAY
DAC : Pionner Lx78

I have olso test other format transcode 44khz 16 bit , 24bit, 48khz 16bit 24bit, 88khz 16bit 24bit  NO PLAY

With source PC windows 11 and Footbar2000 in HDMI To the DAC pionner the 2 files play in PCM MULTICHANEL

In pionner manual FLAC 5 or 5.1 in 96khz 24 bit are compatible.

Is it a transcode problem? Do you know other plug in trancode DSD to FLAC

DAC Tooping DX3 Pro - Headphone Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro - Ampli Pionner LX-78 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos - 11 speaker Jamo signature - Sub Triangle - Foobar2000 user on PC - Neutron player user on Iphone

Re: Encode problem from dsd64 MULTICHANEL to Flac

Reply #1
I have trouble understanding what exactly it is that you are doing.

You say you use your amplifier in DAC mode? I downloaded the English manual to be able to understand what your screenshots show, and it says only SC-LX88 model works in USB DAC mode. So I assume you have it connected to your computer with HDMI cable.

Your pictures from the manual show the formats the player supports when it plays files in file mode or from network, so browsing for example from a USB drive or from UPnP/DLNA server. And then there's image of specs showing what the HDMI inputs support. The part about 8 channel linear PCM support is relevant here. The other input formats are meaningless here as foobar2000 doesn't officially support bitstreaming.

I bought the supposedly free DSD sampler to get my hands on the 5 channel DSD files. The file from your screenshot transcodes to 5 channel FLACs without issues and reports channel map "5: FL FR FC BL BR". This is perfectly valid and can be played back on compliant setups just fine.

Are you trying to play the files directly with your Pioneer using the file mode or network mode? If you are, the answer to the question in topic title is that there is no encode problem. The flac.exe bundled in Free Encoder Pack wrote a perfectly valid 5 channel FLAC file.

But if you are using the Pioneer as a DAC for your computer, what version of foobar2000 are you using? What output mode are you using? What happens when you try to play something? Do you get any error messages? Is there something reported on foobar2000's console (main menu 'View' -> 'Console').

There's a bold text "NO ERROR FORMAT BUT DON'T PLAY". I'm not sure if you mean that there are no error messages shown anywhere, or that the format isn't erroneous yet the file doesn't play.

Reply #2
@radmax : There is a 5.0 flac file in the testbench at https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=FLAC_decoder_testbench . File number 40.

If that one doesn't play with your system - and you can try different players as mentioned in the testbench, maybe https://www.smplayer.info/ - then the problem is not the conversion to FLAC.

By the way:
WavPack can losslessly contain DSD. But you cannot use fb2k to convert (nor any other player "that is a player"), you need to use WavPack directly. The simplest is to download WavPack from https://www.wavpack.com/downloads.html and then drag and drop the DSD file onto the wavpack.exe icon.
Better is to apply a couple of options, which can be done by renaming wavpack.exe (or create a renamed copy) with name
wavpack{--pause}{--drop}{-hxvm}{--import-id3}.exe
as explained in https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,122626.msg1012159.html#msg1012159
Then it will compress better, get verified, get tags imported if it has any - and you can drop several .dsf or .dff files onto it at the same time (but not folders).

Reply #3
Hello,

Thank you for your help and your share link. I have test with other DSD 5CH convert in FLAC 5CH and it s work s. I think it's a performance of the ampli witch sometimes bug. It's and older like 5 years ago.

Thankk for your expertise.
DAC Tooping DX3 Pro - Headphone Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro - Ampli Pionner LX-78 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos - 11 speaker Jamo signature - Sub Triangle - Foobar2000 user on PC - Neutron player user on Iphone