Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to accurately rip DVDs? (Read 6429 times) previous topic - next topic

How to accurately rip DVDs?

I am looking to make perfect images of my DVD collection so I may stream them from my server to my networked computers. Does anyone have any recommendations of software to create a secure rip, just like EAC or other audio grabbers? The only way I have come up with to do such a thing would be to rip the DVD twice and use the command prompt program to compare the bits of data that make them up, however, that isn't preferential. Also, are there any programs that offer an offset for ripping DVDs? I see that Imgburn offers somesort of offset, though, I'm not certain if it is what I'm looking for.

Reply #1
Ripping a DVD is unlike ripping an audio CD in that the DVD is stored as data with error correction information and the audio CD is stored raw. In this way you get correct information when you read from a DVD (or an error message).
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #2
Rip the main movie only and don't apply any compression, for no quality loss....

Reply #3
I am looking to make perfect images of my DVD collection so I may stream them from my server to my networked computers. Does anyone have any recommendations of software to create a secure rip, just like EAC or other audio grabbers? The only way I have come up with to do such a thing would be to rip the DVD twice and use the command prompt program to compare the bits of data that make them up, however, that isn't preferential. Also, are there any programs that offer an offset for ripping DVDs? I see that Imgburn offers somesort of offset, though, I'm not certain if it is what I'm looking for.

To expand on Nick's reply, the music is already stored in files on the DVD. You only have to copy the files you want to the desired location using your operating system's copy command or file manager.