Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Looking for Media Player appliance as separate HW with specific properties. (Read 1145 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for Media Player appliance as separate HW with specific properties.

I'm looking for a high quality audio media player as a self contained and always-on hardware box with specific properties:

Suitable for use as a renderer controlled by BubbleUPnP+Android-phone playing audio files from any and all media servers.

Must be capable to do bit perfect digital audio passthrough for all lossless formats, incl LPCM in sample rates up to at least 96kbps and up to 8 channels, over HDMI.

Must do truly gapless playback of lists of flac, wav or pcm items over DLNA.

Must wake up on being accessed by BubbleUPnP, if in standby.

Does such a beast even exist?

Re: Looking for Media Player appliance as separate HW with specific properties.

Reply #1
What you are looking for is called a streamer.
UPnP/DLNA is supported by almost any modern receiver.
Gapless might be an issue as not all DLNA implementations support this.
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #2
Can you point me at some good streamers?

Reply #3
What you are looking for is called a streamer.
UPnP/DLNA is supported by almost any modern receiver.
Gapless might be an issue as not all DLNA implementations support this.

The Bubbleupnp local renderer does gapless perfectly when playing music from my local Serviio 2.3 DLNA/UPnP server.
So it seems my DLNA server is capable of doing whatever it is the server must do to enable gapless playback.

Reply #4
I have no personal experience with streamers as I don't need them. I use direct playback.

Almost any HiFi brand have them at of course HiFi prices.
Basically any silent PC will do.
Popular solutions are a Raspberry Pi with a hat or an external DAC
Out of the box, WiiM is a affordable solution: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-pro-review-measurements-streamer.42300/
TheWellTemperedComputer.com