Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Automatic tagging (Read 1556 times) previous topic - next topic

Automatic tagging

I've searched a bit on the forums and on google about tagging files, but havent found one where it explains (if its even possible) to generate tags from the music files name. Ex. if the name of the file is Linkin Park - Easier To Run, can i make the artist tag the first part and track name the second part?

Re: Automatic tagging

Reply #1
1. Edit dialog (select files and CTRL+E)
2. Tools > Automatically Fill Values within that dialog
3. Set pattern as %artist% - %title%

Reply #2
I use a program called TagScanner - and aside from all the other bells and whistles that it does, it can do this for whatever files you choose.
This will rename all of the files highlighted. Notes – at the top menu bar, this is under the RENAME tab. 
And to the right, is the actual filename pattern you want to create. You can preview, or just hit the rename button for the result.

From there, you can move to the TITLE area - where you may want to start anyway. Here is where you can copy from file name to title.
This will give you a popup that will let you configure the TITLE any way you like for the selected files.

The steps and results are shown in the attachments.  

Reply #3
Why go through all that using a different program when foobar2000 does it too with automatically fill values. There's no need at all to use an external program.

Reply #4
Why go through all that using a different program when foobar2000 does it too with automatically fill values. There's no need at all to use an external program.
Because I am new to Foobar2000 and have not learned how to do it here yet.  Care to show the steps in doing the same?

Reply #5
It's already explained above. You can set any pattern that's appropriate to what you need. Example filename: 1. 02 - Madonna - Frozen.mp3 like %%. %tracknumber% - %artist% - %title%. And still if you need more advanced stuff there's always masstagger where you can build your own scripts which can source info from other metadata within the same file and/or format/remove/set/split/guess values.
When it comes to tagging capabilities you have all you need within foobar.
Except for when I want to change tags with information sourced from external txt files, for that I use mp3tag.

Reply #6
It's already explained above. You can set any pattern that's appropriate to what you need. Example filename: 1. 02 - Madonna - Frozen.mp3 like %%. %tracknumber% - %artist% - %title%. And still if you need more advanced stuff there's always masstagger where you can build your own scripts which can source info from other metadata within the same file and/or format/remove/set/split/guess values.
When it comes to tagging capabilities you have all you need within foobar.
Except for when I want to change tags with information sourced from external txt files, for that I use mp3tag.

Thanks for the worthwhile response.  Although Explained isn't always the same things as actually shown - it works.  Teaching is hard and a skill all to itself. And as you may not have noticed, I have to get a lot of my tagging information from alternate sources for audiobooks.  Which is what I am wrestling with at the moment - and what drew me to FB2K.  I am still exploring it - and digging in to whats do-able and whats not.  This morning I am stumped trying to find an MP3 encoder that will go all the way down to 32Kbps.  Some of my older books are that low, and I'd prefer to just keep the files that I am merging as-is without the upcoding at all.
So I am knocking things out - one little oddity after the other it seems.  I'll keep the directions above for when that comes up...  which I am sure it will at some point.