Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME with non-standard genre support (Read 5209 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME with non-standard genre support

Can someone point me to a LAME build (3.90.3 or higher) that supports the use of non-standard genre tags?  When ripping with EAC, I would like the LAME encoder to be able to use any genre I specify instead of having to go back with foobar later to retag.  Thanks.

Reply #1
Use the --ignore-tag-errors switch. Not sure if this one works in 3.90.3 though.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #2
Yeah, it doesn't work with 3.90.3, but when I tried it with 3.96.1 it just changes the genre to Other - which means I still have to retag later to use the non-listed genre I want.  Are there any builds that will let you put anything in the genre tag?

Reply #3
I don't think so.
My solution would be to use APEv2 as described here and later retag using foobar2000's 'Rewrite file tags from database' command.
This adds an extra step, but gives you the flexibility to use any kind of tagging fb2k supports.

Reply #4
OK, thanks!  If anybody has any other suggestions, I'm open to them too.

Reply #5
This may end up being an unwarranted question, but where can one find a list of LAME-accepted genres?
"The way we see our world is better than yours."

Reply #6
http://lame.sourceforge.net/doc/html/id3.html

Q: Could you add the genre X to the genre list?
No. The ID3v1 genre list is obsolete and inconsistent and was no good to begin with. All genres above 79 has been added by Nullsoft and is not really part of the "ID3v1 standard", if such thing existed.

http://www.id3.org/faq.html