Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: QAAC recommended settings (Read 7172 times) previous topic - next topic

QAAC recommended settings

Since the last public test took place in 2015-ish, I wonder whether the "winning" settings have been published anywhere, as I can't seem to find them both in the wiki and in here.

I'm specifically after the recommended "standard" settings, so as to speak, for transparency. (it's somewhere around 128kpbs, right?)

Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Re: QAAC recommended settings

Reply #1

I would recommend tvbr(AAC True VBR) mode.

For the highest quality is

Code: [Select]
qaac64 -V 127

And if you want your media has the same base volume.

Code: [Select]
qaac64 --normalize -V 127

For the transparency, above 128kbps should be OK
128k-a128 -q1
iTunes Plus Quality(256k)-v256 -q2
As Reference
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fkamedo2.hatenablog.jp%2Fentry%2F20130625%2F1372177052

Reply #2
Thanks a lot!

But I must confess I still have two questions though:

Those settings aren't based on your own personal experience alone, are they?  I reckon I've seen them elsewhere on HA, but, with the QAAC wiki entry lacking such info, plus the absence of any sticker about it in this forum, I just wasn't quite sure whether they were some sort of "standard preset" or not.

My current ignorance about QAAC is solely due to my having settled down to using the Nero - not many questions asked then -  whenever AAC encoding was necessary (at hiatuses during my more frequent MP3, MPC or Wavpack lossy encoding), and now I'm wondering what difference QAAC could make to my lossy encoding - which takes us to my last question:

Which one is the best at encoding efficiency ATM? TVBR or CVBR?
União e reconstrução

Reply #3
Thanks a lot!

But I must confess I still have two questions though:

Those settings aren't based on your own personal experience alone, are they?  I reckon I've seen them elsewhere on HA, but, with the QAAC wiki entry lacking such info, plus the absence of any sticker about it in this forum, I just wasn't quite sure whether they were some sort of "standard preset" or not.

My current ignorance about QAAC is solely due to my having settled down to using the Nero - not many questions asked then -  whenever AAC encoding was necessary (at hiatuses during my more frequent MP3, MPC or Wavpack lossy encoding), and now I'm wondering what difference QAAC could make to my lossy encoding - which takes us to my last question:

Which one is the best at encoding efficiency ATM? TVBR or CVBR?

For QAAC it should be VBR>ABR>CBR. Because the encoder can allocate bit rate according to complexity.
In QAAC ,-tvbr 127 has the average bitrate higher than 320, So I would say it is the best quality. 
For some other format like mp3(LAME), because the maxium bitrate is 320 so the CBR 320kbps is the best quality.

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,104234.msg855350.html#msg855350

Reply #4
For QAAC it should be VBR>ABR>CBR. Because the encoder can allocate bit rate according to complexity.
In QAAC ,-tvbr 127 has the average bitrate higher than 320, So I would say it is the best quality. 

That's very helpful. Thank you again!

For some other format like mp3(LAME), because the maxium bitrate is 320 so the CBR 320kbps is the best quality.

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,104234.msg855350.html#msg855350

Yeah, I'm aware of that standard's particular specification. :))

União e reconstrução