Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar as audio player for movie files (Read 6404 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar as audio player for movie files

I was wonering how can i use Foobar as the player for my audio and lets say PotPlayer as my player for video but have the seekbar in both respectively cooperate?

For those wonderng here is my software setup:

PotPlayer > LAV Splitter (Source) > LAV Audio/Video > ffdshow RAW > MadVR > ReClock > SVP (SmoothVideo Project).

The reason why I want this complicated setup is simply for the ASIO output. I played just one .MKV file in foobar and the audio portion works. Unless you guys have another suggestion that enables me to use ASIO output within PotPlayer.

Reply #1
Why not use MPC-HC or VLC instead of overcomplicating things like that? I'm fairly sure both of them supports ASIO output.

Reply #2
In foobar you can play audio part of almost any video files using Command-Line Decoder Wrapper ( http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_input_exe ) and ffmpeg.exe, but I don't know if it is possible to "have the seekbar in both respectively cooperate".

Reply #3
Why not use MPC-HC or VLC instead of overcomplicating things like that? I'm fairly sure both of them supports ASIO output.

Are you kidding me? That seriously has to be a joke  PotPlayer is the god father right now. PotPlayer is the only player I know that you're able to choose what decoders/splitters, etc by an easy drop down menu rather than from a priority list. VLC doesn't even have WASAPI output. MPCHC is soon to be overtaken. I do use K-Lite codec pack (mega) though.

In foobar you can play audio part of almost any video files using Command-Line Decoder Wrapper

Foobar is able to play the audio without the decoder wrapper. I simply just dragged the file and played it.

Reply #4
Why do you need ASIO/WASAPI audio output?
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #5
Why do you need ASIO/WASAPI audio output?

Judging by your signature... very funny. I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile since i don't even have the expensive setup, but I do have the conscious mind to judge.

ASIO output keeps a good level of volume of all channel/matrix. With ASIO output i'm able to really hear the Rear & Center (top/bottom) a "LOT" more because it makes it more audible but not necessarily degrading quality (I don't hear it that way unlike EQ's). The sounds with ASIO output is richer and deeper=more life.

With the ASIO plugin for Foobar i'm able to choose what channels go where. So in my case i'm running a stereo setup and I send all left (surround) and right (surround) to left/right respectively. If you notice there are left and right in the (supposedly) Center and Top Center, in that case I have:
Center=Right
Top Center=Left (because I hear better with my right I decided the louder goes to the left)

My hardware setup:

Computer > Soundcard > Reciever > Speakers (left/right) [stereo]

For those who have replied to this thread, perhaps haven't had the chance to consider listening through ASIO output?

Reply #6
Judging by your signature... very funny.
That's a stab at people who fiddle around with unnecessary fixes, while at the same time ignore blatant obvious ones (i.e. audiophiles).

I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile since i don't even have the expensive setup, but I do have the ears to judge.
Please give me my penny, I've heard that before.

ASIO output keeps a good level of volume of all channel/matrix. With ASIO output i'm able to really hear the Rear & Center (top/bottom) a "LOT" more because it makes it more audible but not necessarily degrading quality (I don't hear it that way unlike EQ's). The sounds with ASIO output is richer and deeper=more life.
You need to properly configure whatever channel mixer/matrix mixer you use. And you need to watch out for the ToS #8 hammer.

With the ASIO plugin for Foobar i'm able to choose what channels go where. So in my case i'm running a stereo setup and I send all left (surround) and right (surround) to left/right respectively.
The "soon to be overtaken" video player MPC:HC has a channel mixer which can achieve exactly that, without the need to use ASIO.

Also, PotPlayer was in violation of the GPL, and it possibly still is.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.