Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I hope the distributors read this (Read 2621 times) previous topic - next topic

I hope the distributors read this

I have been an audiphile for 30 years. I can say honestly that 100% of the music I play I paid for, I have the discs to prove it. MP3s never cut it for me. I have been through the whole evolution

LP (Orcale TT with moving coil)
Cassette
DAT
8 Track
CD
DVD Audio
DVD DTS
SACD

Each time I BUY a new release I pay full royalties and full cost. What happened to my license to the music? I paid for some music several times. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - at leats 5 different formats. Same with Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. I have not and do not play pirateed music other than some listening tests with sons MP3s. What "reward" does the music industry give me?

Lately I decided that it was time to digitize and preserve my collection. 2500 CDS plus another 300 of DTS audio, DVDA and SACD. Forgive me for being a neophyte but I ripped all to FLAC and it is perfect other than the errors I encountered which are expected. Now I realized that digital music has come of age (or maybe not yet). The re-release of Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon shows me it is not the format but the engineering that counts. Even my snob perfect ears salesman friends can not tell the difference between the re-released CD and SACD. They can however as can I the original CD release. Now why the hell do I have to pay multpile times for the same music for them to get it right??

Now as I am archiving my collection I run into the DRM issues with SACD and DVD Audio. So I cruise around P2P networks looking for the tools to rip discs I OWN. Why - my days of damaging a disc and having to buy another one are over plus I like music on demand - ever try manually scouring and managing a 2500 disc collection?

I am running 6 1TB drives in with Raid 1 arrays. I love it. I want onscreen display with album covers and notes and exact digital copies as well as quality engineered and mixed multichannel sound.  To get what I wanted ( and I am still not finished) I had to download numerous programs and drives and update SW galore

EAC
AutoFlac
Foobar2K
Intervideo 6
DVDA explorer
Windows media player
Album Art downloader

AND
numerous HW and SW upgrades

AND the above list is after much trial and error! Now I would love to download great audio and artwork. ONly Linn and a couple of others offer high quality releases online. I already own licenses to much of the music I would love all of it in a newer digital format but it either aint available or if it is I pay full price (again). Along comes the newer formats with higher sampling rates and the P2P networks. Any idea why people pirate (Sony - are you listening). IMO the music companies need to sell a license which is good for ALL releases and fix the poor engineering (actually the market would drive the quality as well).

Having spent over a 100 bucks on Pink Floyd (DOM) in various releases and paid for my ENTIRE collection I get no reward from the distributors. They come down hard on the pirates but stick up the you know what of the people that pay. 

I have written letters to some of the distributors about the situation with people who pay for their usually poorly engineered crap and what they offer to those who pay for the music. Not a single response - ever. But you could bet your last dollar that if I started to pirate and distribute music they would be all over me. Never been a fan of downloading pirated music but the disties seem to be playing right into it with their pricing, DRM and attitude.

My 2 cents

A loyal purchaser

Reply #1
IMO the music companies need to sell a license which is good for ALL releases and fix the poor engineering (actually the market would drive the quality as well).

I know what are you trying to say, but it just doesn't work that way, re releases are 'work to be done' as well, and somebody must pay for that work...., if it was free, well, there probably wouldn't be any re releases.

I do agree that purely downloadable versions should be available though, but obviously i would want flac (or some other uncompressed version) and here comes the costs connected to bandwidth, distribution work, ect, and again somebody has to pay for that.

p.s. buying drm-ed formats was your 'bad' choice, i wouldn't do that in the future.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #2
Somebody has to pay again and again or the license for the music would cost a ridiculously amount of money to account for future re-releases and digital copies.

So you may buy the first release to feel morally safe and then download other peoples FLAC encodes which really in that sense isn't piracy at all as you already bought the music. You are just downloading the FLAC version of the same music which someone else than the record company / dsitributor did the work on.

I'm sure the record company would like to earn extra money on selling FLAC encodes even though the initial cost of offering such versions is very low. They are just outsourcing this work to companies that are already established in selling digital media and convert audio to FLAC at little cost.

So providing your own FLAC encodes of music will never be made legal because the record company has the only right to do such a thing. They have the right of profit as they have the rights for the music it represents.

Depending on where you stand, the right of profit might have gone too far.