Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: stereo and mono beatles -- what am i hearing? (Read 13717 times) previous topic - next topic

stereo and mono beatles -- what am i hearing?

Reply #25
Back to why the OP's mono "soundstage" flips, left to right, when the headphones are flipped. Just like the left and right speakers in a room don't actually deliver the same frequency response to the ears, as they ideally should in a perfect world, headphones don't either. The blue curve for the left channel of these (I selected randomly) show they would emphasize a larger portion of the midrange, perceptually dragging those mid frequency musical instruments more to that side of the sound stage, whereas the red curve for the right ear emphasizes the bass and would drag those lower frequency instruments more to the right side of the soundstage:

Reply #26
Rather than recording only one channel from a stereo pickup of a mono record, it is generally best to sum the two channels to mono and to record that, for the least possible noise.

Wouldn't it be better to use a MS-encoder and delete the side signal?

Pretty much the same basic thing as electrically tying the two electrical outputs of the cartridge together with a switch, mixer, a wire, summing in the digital domain, a Y-cable or whatever.

Reply #27
Back to why the OP's mono "soundstage" flips, left to right, when the headphones are flipped. Just like the left and right speakers in a room don't actually deliver the same frequency response to the ears, as they ideally should in a perfect world, headphones don't either. The blue curve for the left channel of these (I selected randomly) show they would emphasize a larger portion of the midrange, perceptually dragging those mid frequency musical instruments more to that side of the sound stage, whereas the red curve for the right ear emphasizes the bass and would drag those lower frequency instruments more to the right side of the soundstage:

Well!  That would explain this nicely. I mean looking at my room, in my sucky apartment (audio-wise anyway), the only real place i can put my speakers is one in a corner and one not. That would accentuate the bass on one side, right? That would explain Paul's bass being pulled to one side, but not the rest of the track, unless pulling the bass solidifies the  illusion.

As far as my headphones, these are sold as mastering headphones, which i  suppose only means "flatter freq. resp. than Beats" or somesuch, but may just me marketing speak. They are closed ear Fisher FA-003s.  If even our headphones are even on one side, how can anyone hope to master properly?  Do you measure each cup and make channel level adjustments to compensate in the studio?
Music lover and recovering high end audiophile

Reply #28
one in a corner and one not. That would accentuate the bass on one side, right?
Yup.

As for headphones, there are sample to sample variations. For instance if you were to plot the curves for that same one that I randomly showed above but taken off the assembly line a few hours/days later it's possible the bass boost of one side might be to the other side instead, or not exist. There are also differences as headphones slump and sag due to prolonged ear cushion foam compression, variations due to how well they fit an individual's head comparing their left side to their right, how tightly one sets the headband compression, etc. Heck even moving headphones just a millimeter or two up/down/left/right can alter the response audibly. A poor seal, for instance due to wearing a pair of eyeglasses, or other reasons, can have deleterious effects, often causing a bass deficiency. There are all sorts of reasons why getting perfectly matching frequency response and levels to both ears is difficult even in the best of setups.

"Do you measure each cup and make channel level adjustments to compensate in the studio?" In practice usually no, but in an ideal world, YES! I personally like to set my balance control precisely per listening session, often using mono pink noise till I have a perfectly centered image. By doing so I fix imbalances in both the gear and in my headphone's current headband setting/positioning all in one fell swoop. You can hear an example of  it here [if you need a source] or by clicking the down arrow to the right side of the "play" icon you can download it for future use:

http://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_pinknoise.php

Reply #29
Your speakers might have slightly different frequency response curves. Or one of the drivers might be accidentally inverted.

This can be checked by playing a mono sweep while standing between the speakers. You should hear it in front of you all the time.