Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Realtek ALC650 codec (Read 4297 times) previous topic - next topic

Realtek ALC650 codec

Hi everyone!

I bought a Asus A7V8X a month ago and I was wondering if I should use the (DirectSound) output plugin v2.2.6 with SSRC enabled, in winamp. It has a Realtek ALC650 codec (AC'97 compliant) which makes me think it resamples everything to 48 kHz. If so, I think ssrc should be enabled. Can anyone confirm on this?

thnx

Realtek ALC650 codec

Reply #1
Can you hear any difference? If not, why bother?

Realtek ALC650 codec

Reply #2
that's not the point... I just want to know if it should be enabled: if it brings any sound improvement, even though I might not note the difference (I don't). also for the knowledge of it... (yeah I'm a bit anal)

I had an old SoundBlaster 64 Gold and I think the sound of it was better than of the Realtek ALC650 codec.

can anyone answer my question...

Realtek ALC650 codec

Reply #3
Specs should say about it's features - if it doesn't have fixed output samplerate, then you should avoid using it.
This post - lastest drivers for it.

Realtek ALC650 codec

Reply #4
Here's the device info from the DirectSound output plugin v2.2.6:

Certified: yes, emulated: no
Supports sample rates from 100 Hz to 48000 Hz (continuous)
Hardware memory: N/A
Hardware mixing: supported, 15 free streams (17 max)
Speaker setup: headphones

Continuous from 100 Hz to 48000 Hz: does this mean that it is not fixed?

Realtek ALC650 codec

Reply #5
My Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 with kX drivers:

Supports sample rates from 100 Hz to 191999 Hz (continuous)
Hardware mixing: supported, 62 free streams (64 max)
Speaker setup: stereo

I don't use resampling, even though the hardware supposedly resamples everything to 48000Hz. Of course, the packaging also advertises a patented high quality 8 point interpolation scheme, and my ears are inclined to believe that this produces less muffling from 32000Hz up to 48000Hz, not to mention has no impact on my host CPU.

I'm seeing newer cards, particularly Crystal SoundFusion based, that appear use linear interpolation. Of course, so do all of the old consumer Yamaha XG daughterboards, but they only do MIDI synthesis.

Mess around with the settings, see what's best to your ears. Judging from that CODEC and your directsound capabilities, I'd say resample to 48000Hz, compare to the same file without resampling.

If you want to try ABX... Well, crap, I don't know any tools to assist ABXing output plug-ins.

Realtek ALC650 codec

Reply #6
I'm seeing newer cards, particularly Crystal SoundFusion based, that appear use linear interpolation.

Linear interpolation is just crap, leads to lots of distortion and bad freq. response, and I don't think it is very used in resampling schemes, but maybe I'm wrong. The good one is sinc interpolation (=digital brickwall filtering).

Realtek ALC650 codec

Reply #7
Here's the device info from the DirectSound output plugin v2.2.6:

Supports sample rates from 100 Hz to 48000 Hz (continuous)
Hardware mixing: supported, 15 free streams (17 max)
Speaker setup: headphones

Continuous from 100 Hz to 48000 Hz: does this mean that it is not fixed?

I think that you are obviously not using lastest drivers (3.37.1) - correct if I am wrong, but the same card on my MSI KT3 Ultra had 33 streams (not sure about samplerates).

Checked the codec data - it supports variable output, but IT CAN BE FIXED output samplerate too. Depends on MoBo maker's decision. Not sure about your case.