Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Musepack (MPC) SV8 beta is out (Read 73141 times) previous topic - next topic

Musepack (MPC) SV8 beta is out

Reply #50
Is there any way to batch convert from SV7 to SV8? BTW, using * in output name results in a crash.

just in case, devs recommended not to use it just yet, for normal use.

Reply #51
Phreakin awesome!
Musepack <3
I wonder what Andre Buschmann is doing nowadays

Keep up the good work

Reply #52
Congrats! This is really great to see. It must have been already way back in 2002 that people were talking about this SV8 thing . It's nice to know that Musepack is still being developed. I still have about 300 records in --insane.

Reply #53
I will repeat my findings with mpcdec.
mpcdec doesn't decode to stdout but writes to the file: -

Code: [Select]
mpcdec test.mpc - | …

Is decoding to stdout not implemented yet?

According to the timeline, pipe decoding was implemented on 27th September, however the link to the windows package still points to the one from 23th September.
Maybe somebody can compile the latest source?

Reply #54
Been searching the forums for the old high bitrate listening tests.  Granted, Vorbis and LAME have improved since then.  Does anybody have a link to a more recent test than this one?
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #56

Been searching the forums for the old high bitrate listening tests.  Granted, Vorbis and LAME have improved since then.  Does anybody have a link to a more recent test than this one?

This one, a year later.

Thanks.  That's the one I last remembered reading, but couldn't find it.

Reply #57
Fantastic news.

Reply #58
I knew this day would come...the "eternal awaited" SV8

Reply #59

This one, a year later.

More proof that has failed to quench the seemingly widely held belief that "MPC is the most transparent lossy format at 160 kbps and above" unfortunately.  Calling them anything other than equal would be disingenuous, IMO.

Reply #60

This one, a year later.

More proof that has failed to quench the seemingly widely held belief that "MPC is the most transparent lossy format at 160 kbps and above" unfortunately.  Calling them anything other than equal would be disingenuous, IMO.

I don't think anybody is claiming MPC superiority anymore.  At least, not in this forum.  If they are, I haven't seen it.

Reply #61
I don't think anybody is claiming MPC superiority anymore.  At least, not in this forum.  If they are, I haven't seen it.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=518844
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....mp;#entry516550

Reply #62

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=518844
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....mp;#entry516550

In the first thread you linked I didn't see anyone claim MPC superiority, only one person joking about "bowing down to MPC".  In the 2nd, I saw one poster who claimed it was better than MP3.

Reply #63
In the first thread you linked I didn't see anyone claim MPC superiority.  In the 2nd, I saw one poster who claimed it was better than MP3.

Now bowdown to MPC! (Well, I thought it funny at least.  It was posted shortly after he finished with the other thread.)

You need to read through the other one to see that he also suggests that MPC is superior to AAC and seems to prefer it over OGG as well.

Reply #64
In the first thread you linked I didn't see anyone claim MPC superiority.  In the 2nd, I saw one poster who claimed it was better than MP3.

Now bowdown to MPC! (Well, I thought it funny at least.  It was posted shortly after he finished with the other thread.)

You need to read through the other one to see that he also suggests that MPC is superior to AAC and seems to prefer it over OGG as well.

Yeah, I didn't see the the Ogg part.  Oh well...  Most of us know 

Reply #65
He's ok with ogg's quality, just that mpc was better for his purposes.

Anyhow, I thought it was funny.  Sorry for going off-topic.

Reply #66
Just curious how the beta is doing.  Would like to see this out of beta, and support in Rockbox for the new stream version.

Reply #67
there has been some upstream dev since the beta to address some of the issues brought up here like:
* piped i/o for mpcdec
* fix for id3v2 seek bug
* mpc2sv8 output options (overwrite with -o and to directory)
* quantizer change (also helps in rockbox integration)

and preglow will be working on the rockbox changes when he is able.

later

Reply #68
Great news, thanks for the update.

Reply #69
there has been some upstream dev since the beta to address some of the issues brought up here like:
* piped i/o for mpcdec
* fix for id3v2 seek bug

later

Nice work.
Are there win32 compiles of these updates available?
If so I will do some testing with the pipe output of mpcdec.

Reply #70
no - but the windows project files are updated so you can checkout and compile at a whim!

later

Reply #71
wow, I never thought I would see the day sv8 came out!  time for another listening test guru?

Reply #72
There are no changes to psychoacoustic model, as stated. So, no tests needed, at least for now.
stimulating the audio nerve directly

Reply #73
heh, yeah I just read that, but you replied before I could edit my post

Reply #74
* piped i/o for mpcdec
* fix for id3v2 seek bug

later

Decode to stdout still not working with the latest binaries.
Is there a special command for stdout or can I use - ?

http://r2d.musepack.net/files/musepack_bin_20071123.zip