Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_upnp (Read 1622599 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_upnp

Reply #1850
hi bubbleguuum,

I am developing an audio player in an embedded device.
I want support upnp in my audio player, but I do not how develop the MediaRenderer to support foobar upnp server.

Could give me some advise for how to develop the mediarenderer to support the foobar upnp server.
thank you very much.

foo_upnp

Reply #1851
I made a newbie mistake.  I posted this to the general forum, but meant to have it in the foo_upnp thread.  This is the same message:

Hi,

I regularly use foo_upnp on a Windows 7 32 machine to stream to a DLNA renderer. I wanted to have a similar setup at home. I've installed foobar 1.2.9. and foo_upnp 0.99.48. Discovery works fine. However, after selecting my player there is no action when trying to play a file. It just sits there, until I try another action. Then I get a not responding message and subsequent crash. I tried disabling virus protection. The only thing different in the two systems is my home computer uses Vista. So, I wondered if the plugin is compatible with my old operating system. If so, could I get some advice on what to try. I looked at the log file, and at a wireshark trace, but unfortunately, I'm not experienced enough to catch anything but the simplest problems with those tools.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

ps -- the usual apologies if this has been covered. I looked through several of the 75 pages of history, but didn't run across anything.

foo_upnp

Reply #1852
I understand with this plugin you can control foobar2000 on one computer (Computer A where my library is stored) from another instance of foobar2000 on another computer (Computer B).

So what's the best method of doing this?

The way I have this working at the moment is by loading the UPnP browser on Computer B, copying the whole library of Computer A into the "UPnP Controller Playback Queue" playlist and playing files with normally with the UPnP Controller open.

However, track information is a little slow loading into the UPnP controller, I can't use the previous/next track buttons and the playlist search is slow and sometimes crashes.

Am I doing things correctly or is there a better way? I basically want to have the whole library of Computer A showing in foobar2000 on Computer B, so I control playback from Computer B and have everything output to Computer A.

EDIT: Okay, I'm now doing things as described in http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=821223 and selecting "Playback Stream Capture" from the UPnP Controller which seems to work better. The only downside is the 5 second buffer - is there any way to reduce this?

foo_upnp

Reply #1853
I understand with this plugin you can control foobar2000 on one computer (Computer A where my library is stored) from another instance of foobar2000 on another computer (Computer B).

So what's the best method of doing this?

The way I have this working at the moment is by loading the UPnP browser on Computer B, copying the whole library of Computer A into the "UPnP Controller Playback Queue" playlist and playing files with normally with the UPnP Controller open.

However, track information is a little slow loading into the UPnP controller, I can't use the previous/next track buttons and the playlist search is slow and sometimes crashes.

Am I doing things correctly or is there a better way? I basically want to have the whole library of Computer A showing in foobar2000 on Computer B, so I control playback from Computer B and have everything output to Computer A.

EDIT: Okay, I'm now doing things as described in http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=821223 and selecting "Playback Stream Capture" from the UPnP Controller which seems to work better. The only downside is the 5 second buffer - is there any way to reduce this?

How are you listening to the music?  Direct from Computer A, or via UPnP to a media player of some description?  If the latter, this is how I do it:

a) start both the UPnP server and renderer on foobar2000 on Computer A
b) set the media device to listen to Playback Stream Capture from foobar2000 on Computer A (which means it will be gapless)
c) use foobar2000 on Computer B to browse the Media Library of foobar2000 on Computer A and create playlists in the Controller Playback Queue
d) on Computer B set the renderer for the UPnP Controller to be the foobar2000 renderer on Computer A
e) play using the Controller on Computer B

I'm unclear why you need to load the whole library into the browser window on Computer B - why not just search for those you want as you need them?  You certainly shouldn't be trying to move the actual audio files from Computer A to B and back again, just control what A does using B and the media list from A.  You can tailor the media list on A if you can handle a bit of xml, and also create playlists on A that you simply pick using the browser on B and tell A to play them.

foo_upnp

Reply #1854
You could just leave the library exposed on the main PC. The other foobar instance running on the secondary PC can browse and play from it separately. That way you can have separate playbacks on each PC and I'd imagine the delay will be minimal as well.

foo_upnp

Reply #1855
How are you listening to the music?  Direct from Computer A, or via UPnP to a media player of some description?  If the latter, this is how I do it:

b) set the media device to listen to Playback Stream Capture from foobar2000 on Computer A (which means it will be gapless)
c) use foobar2000 on Computer B to browse the Media Library of foobar2000 on Computer A and create playlists in the Controller Playback Queue
d) on Computer B set the renderer for the UPnP Controller to be the foobar2000 renderer on Computer A

I'm unclear why you need to load the whole library into the browser window on Computer B - why not just search for those you want as you need them?  You certainly shouldn't be trying to move the actual audio files from Computer A to B and back again, just control what A does using B and the media list from A.  You can tailor the media list on A if you can handle a bit of xml, and also create playlists on A that you simply pick using the browser on B and tell A to play them.

I'm listening to the music direct from Computer A, so no other media device involved, just the 2 computers if I understand correctly. Computer A is my main PC which is connected to a nice amp and some speakers. Computer B is my laptop. So, I'd like to browse and listen to my main PC's music library from my laptop, but also output the sound to my main PC.

I wanted to add my whole library because I'm used to having it in a playlist and leaving it on shuffle, plus I can also quickly search using Ctrl+F. But as you said, the method I posted above is not an ideal solution as it uses unnecessary bandwidth.

So basically I am now browsing Computer A's exposed library from the UPnP Browser on Computer B, adding tracks to the controller playback queue. I was initially getting unresponsiveness during the first 10 seconds of playback of any track, but disabling "allow album art streaming" from UPnP > Server > Content on the main PC seems to have resolved this. Will also experiment with Playback Stream Capture.

foo_upnp

Reply #1856

I'm listening to the music direct from Computer A, so no other media device involved, just the 2 computers if I understand correctly. Computer A is my main PC which is connected to a nice amp and some speakers. Computer B is my laptop. So, I'd like to browse and listen to my main PC's music library from my laptop, but also output the sound to my main PC.

I wanted to add my whole library because I'm used to having it in a playlist and leaving it on shuffle, plus I can also quickly search using Ctrl+F. But as you said, the method I posted above is not an ideal solution as it uses unnecessary bandwidth.

So basically I am now browsing Computer A's exposed library from the UPnP Browser on Computer B, adding tracks to the controller playback queue. I was initially getting unresponsiveness during the first 10 seconds of playback of any track, but disabling "allow album art streaming" from UPnP > Server > Content on the main PC seems to have resolved this. Will also experiment with Playback Stream Capture.

From the sound of it you don't really need UPnP at all.  If your method works for you, fine.  If not, there are alternatives.

For listening to sound from Computer A, have you considered just using a remote desktop (eg TeamViewer) from your laptop to control Computer A?  There's also a rather ancient option at https://code.google.com/p/foo-httpcontrol/ for controlling foobar remotely.

For listening to music on Computer B, you could set up foobar2000 on your laptop to have its own Media Library configured to access a shared drive on Computer A (I'm not sure whether you are already be doing this).

foo_upnp

Reply #1857
Hi,

I have a small problem with foo_upnp. I have it set up to stream FLAC or MP3 directly, and encode anything else to mp3 (I listen to a lot of chiptunes). This works flawlessly, with one exception: 24bit or multichannel FLAC files. I have playback restricted to 16bit stereo, as anything higher would be way too large to stream directly. This works on AC3 and DTS files, but not on FLAC, which are played back as PCM.
Using DSPs does not help, instead it just causes normal stereo FLAC content to be played back as PCM as well.

How should I set up the streaming profile so it streams all mp3 and flac up to 48khz 16bit stereo, and convert anything else to mp3 (including FLAC if it is of too high quality)?

foo_upnp

Reply #1858
Hello to the pros and a happy new year!

Thank you very much for this nice Plugin! I am pretty new to foobar2000. I installed it as together with this plugin it appeared to be a nice method to control my Pioneer AV Reviever VSX 923 which acts as a DLNA Media Device. The plugin correctly detects it and I am able to play back files - but there it ends: when multiple files are in the controllers playlist playback will stopp after the first one. I also cannot skip to the next song - playback will stopp the. I can however manually start each song but that contradicts the purpose of the playlist somehow. Am I doing something wrong here or missing the magic switch. If the playlist thing and skipping songs would work this would be perfect. I hope you can help me...

Greets.

foo_upnp

Reply #1859
Hello to the pros and a happy new year!

Thank you very much for this nice Plugin! I am pretty new to foobar2000. I installed it as together with this plugin it appeared to be a nice method to control my Pioneer AV Reviever VSX 923 which acts as a DLNA Media Device. The plugin correctly detects it and I am able to play back files - but there it ends: when multiple files are in the controllers playlist playback will stopp after the first one. I also cannot skip to the next song - playback will stopp the. I can however manually start each song but that contradicts the purpose of the playlist somehow. Am I doing something wrong here or missing the magic switch. If the playlist thing and skipping songs would work this would be perfect. I hope you can help me...

Greets.

Check under Preferences, Tools, UPnP, Controller.  If the 'Enable gapless control...' is ticked, try turning it off.

If you are playing tracks from foobar2000 (rather than using it as a UPnP controller) then there are other options that can affect this (under Preferences, Playback).

foo_upnp

Reply #1860
Thanks for getting back...

I tried to untick the checkbox yesterday night. But It seemed not to have any effect...

I also tried the Windows media player which can also act as a DLNA Control Point. There I can jump forward or backward in a Playlist and the Receiver will do as I ask 

So I suspect there is something amiss with the Foobar DLNA Plugin... Perhaps there is something else I did miss?

foo_upnp

Reply #1861
Thanks for getting back...

I tried to untick the checkbox yesterday night. But It seemed not to have any effect...

I also tried the Windows media player which can also act as a DLNA Control Point. There I can jump forward or backward in a Playlist and the Receiver will do as I ask 

So I suspect there is something amiss with the Foobar DLNA Plugin... Perhaps there is something else I did miss?

Works fine for me providing I don't try to use it as a gapless controller.  What media server are you using?

My experience of DLNA is pretty dire - all sorts of problems with different software servers and hardware players.  The foobar plugin is about the best controller I have yet found, even running it on linux under Wine.

foo_upnp

Reply #1862
I use Universal Media Server in its newest incarnation...

Die files I tried to enqeue reside on this media server.

foo_upnp

Reply #1863

Sorry - as a mere humble user I've no further ideas. 

UMS looks interesting - I'll try it.  I've been using MinimServer which I like a lot.

foo_upnp

Reply #1864

Sorry - as a mere humble user I've no further ideas. 

UMS looks interesting - I'll try it.  I've been using MinimServer which I like a lot.

I just tried UMS on mu Ubuntu system.  In foo_upnp (and on the media device itself) I get 3 of every track, which is very strange.  They seem to be 2 of one transcoding and one of another which is at a different pitch.  I'll stick to MinimServer, which incidentally has the best menu system I've seen for flac audio.

foo_upnp

Reply #1865
Hello,

I have a question.  Is it possible to blacklist or block certain IP addresses from accessing the the media server?

foo_upnp

Reply #1866
Probably not, at least not using the plugin alone. You could probably check your firewall/router settings and filter the IP from there. What's wrong with just using a password however?

foo_upnp

Reply #1867
Metadata not sending with foo_upnp

Hi all,
I'm having a puzzling problem with foo_upnp. I set fb2k up to stream to my Oppo BDP-93 and it's working perfectly except for one thing - it's not sending any metadata at all for my FLAC files. The metadata is there because it's showing up on the app's UI on my Windows machine, but on my Oppo and even on VLC, the metadata doesn't fill in at all. The only thing I get is the track name. I've been searching for a solution to this problem and came up empty. Plex streams the metadata just fine, but I can't use Plex because of its limitations on music formats. I'm just mentioning Plex because metadata streaming DOES work with Plex and those clients, it just doesn't seem to with foo_upnp. Any ideas?

Thanks

foo_upnp

Reply #1868

Hi all,
I'm having a puzzling problem with foo_upnp. I set fb2k up to stream to my Oppo BDP-93 and it's working perfectly except for one thing - it's not sending any metadata at all for my FLAC files. The metadata is there because it's showing up on the app's UI on my Windows machine, but on my Oppo and even on VLC, the metadata doesn't fill in at all. The only thing I get is the track name. I've been searching for a solution to this problem and came up empty. Plex streams the metadata just fine, but I can't use Plex because of its limitations on music formats. I'm just mentioning Plex because metadata streaming DOES work with Plex and those clients, it just doesn't seem to with foo_upnp. Any ideas?

Thanks

If you are using 'playback stream capture' I'm not surprised, since foobar is playing the flacs on your PC and just copying the music data to a continuous stream.  I don't see any metadata when playing streams.

If, however, you are using the media library to select and play tracks, I've no idea why that would be.

foo_upnp

Reply #1869

Hi all,

Thanks

If you are using 'playback stream capture' I'm not surprised, since foobar is playing the flacs on your PC and just copying the music data to a continuous stream.  I don't see any metadata when playing streams.

If, however, you are using the media library to select and play tracks, I've no idea why that would be.

I'm using the media library.

foo_upnp

Reply #1870
Probably not, at least not using the plugin alone. You could probably check your firewall/router settings and filter the IP from there. What's wrong with just using a password however?

Password won't work for local network.  That's what I was concerned about.  Keeping my Kids from accessing the music collection via their Xbox 360's, etc.

foo_upnp

Reply #1871
Hi all,

I have trouble streaming songs from my PC using foobar to my WD TV Live in the correct order. Whenever I select a song in the playlist the song following the selected one will be streamed next (and not the song following the currently streamed one). It's like the "Playback follows cursor" option. I activated the "Cursor follows playback" option and it works fine with local playing but as I said not with streaming.

Any ideas how to fix that?

Thank you!
Stefan

foo_upnp

Reply #1872
I wish there was documentation on Browser xml customization. I want to make it display a particular remote folder as root.

foo_upnp

Reply #1873
Hi there,

I'd first of all like to thank the developer for his work. It is allmost doing everything I need

I have only one question for which I haven't found any exlpanation so far on this forum. I successfully stream my mp3 music files to my Onkyo TX-NR609 AVR from my Windows 7 operated notebook via WLAN. The only thing that doesn't work is streaming AAC files (*.m4a). When I have mp3 and m4a in my controller playback queue, the music plays continously until the first AAC file and stops. I've tried several settings in the streaming profile section but have not yet found any setting that works.

The Onkyo AVR should be able to decode AAC natively since I can send the file via the Windows 7 "play on ...." function. Why doesn't it work from fb2k with UpNP? What am I doing wrong or what settings are recommended for ACC playback on my AVR (the renderer properties show that it's capable of decoding AAC).

Many thanks in advance for any hint or idea.

Regards

foo_upnp

Reply #1874
Hi, this add-on is great, except i miss one essential thing:
to be able to select my upnp device directly as an output device, just like the simple "UPnP MediaRenderer Output 1.0 beta 4" plugin.
right now its quite annoying that i cannot just have my AV-receiver as the standard output device when double clicking a song.
(i know this should work with the other plugin, but just my luck is that my receiver (marantz) is not supported, and it seems that plugin is no longer under development...)